The Thousand Mile War - Amchitka, Spring 1943

HEHEHEHEE Think you will have this done after all Don.Looking good mate!Any chance of getting you along on the Mustang build?I have three kits lined upfor that one!

Regards:

Shaun

Yayy, he's back! Pilot has a lot of character and the spinners look the business!

Thanks. I'm pleased myself with today's brief session.

HEHEHEHEE Think you will have this done after all Don.Looking good mate!Any chance of getting you along on the Mustang build?I have three kits lined upfor that one!

Regards:

Shaun

Remember Shaun, there are two more aircraft in this project as yet unstarted, as well as a complex base as yet unbought!

The Mustang GB? Well, there is one in the wardrobe, but I find them a little boring, so I guess I'd first need an idea to work with. We'll see.

You, my dear friend, are on fire! No, really, I just called 911 :) these look really excellent. The wear on the planes looks unbelievably real and I must say I am learning so much just watching this build. Keep going and keep us updated, this gets better and better every time!

The Mustang GB? Well, there is one in the wardrobe, but I find them a little boring, so I guess I'd first need an idea to work with. We'll see.

A little boring?

Come on Don, go have a look on Aztec webpage to see all their decals release, and only then tell us what you think.

Edited by Antoine

You, my dear friend, are on fire!!

Thanks Erik.

A little boring?

How many Mustang models have I made! How many more have I seen! And it's

such an ugly beast! Efficient - true, but definitely as ugly as an allotment shed.

The Tamiya kit is a nice one though, and I have found a few slightly

interesting schemes and variations. I'll decide after Christmas. And that

reminds me, I'm getting a big battleship for Xmas and that's going to be started

on the 26 Dec. There simply may not be time for a Mustang too.

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

I've been following your topic with much interest, I intend to do a Aleutian Tiger in 1/72.

A small detail most modellers ignore : Please notice that almost all these birds had particular

fairings over the first stack of the exhausts. Also, the other exhaust stacks seem to have been better

blended with the fuselage, perhaps some kind of seal.

Check the picture:

438336627_aef9c81222.jpg

Image130.jpg

Kind regards,

Ed

Edited by bad edd

A small detail most modellers ignore : Please notice that almost all these birds had particular

fairings over the first stack of the exhausts. Also, the other exhaust stacks seem to have been better

blended with the fuselage, perhaps some kind of seal.

Ed

Thanks Ed, like most modellers, I have decided to ignore this detail. It's interesting to compare

the two photos though. I think the fairing on the smaller picture has been installed after the tiger

head was painted while the other seems to have been painted yellow, perhaps installed before

the decoration.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary I'm assuming that this was a mod and declaring that

my dio happened before that particular mod was embodied! ;)

I must say I hadn't noticed the more streamlined exhausts though. They too seem to be on some

but not all of the P-40s. Did you know that the earlier Warhawks used up there weren't built as

P-40Es but were Ds 'brought up to spec' by a mod program in theatre. God knows how many

variations that produced!

So there I was, tinkering. I added a few little details, painted some exhaust stains and chipping.

I drilled out location holes for aerial wires and fitted the mast to the new one.

Then I thought I'd glue the pilot into place.

I wasn't sure where the contact points were underneath, I needed something to fill a big gap.

Blutac would have done the job.

Shame I didn't think of that at the time.

I used a big blob of gloopy sprue melted in liquid poly instead.

Then I dropped the pilot...

IMG_0235.jpg

This is not not not good.

I wiped most of it off with cotton buds.

When it's dried hard, I'll scrape the remainder and hope that the sliding canopy hides most of the remaining mess.

I've had better days at the bench.

i can totally relate don, way back before i started KGV i had almost done an attempt at Hood's rigging, then i went to break off a bit of excess wire, but it was a tad better glued than i thought, a mighty tug and i managed to break and distort the main mast and all the rigging i had managed to achive thus far

it took many a deep breath and a LOT of xbox playing to prevent the ship going out the window :P

i have no doubt it will arise phoenix like! keep it up buddy!, looking c'est magnific!

I'm sure you'll fix it though. Another brilliant build that's great to follow, lovin' the fitter half in the radio bay as well
Fingers crossed!
Hope it turns out well!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. There was a time when this would

have beaten me; I'd have smashed it in a tantrum! Now I don't take it

so personally - stuff happens and I'll deal with it.

Matching the paint will be awkward but that inclines me towards painting

some other areas in odd shades too. Well, I wanted her to look battered, didn't I?

Great job with the faded O.D. Don. How did you get on with clearing up the glue spill?

Jeff

How did you get on with clearing up the glue spill?

Jeff

I had some supper, read a book and went to bed. :sleeping:

Tomorrow is another day...

Too bad things like that happen a few days before the GB end.

Yes. I should have guessed that (rushing to finish) + (brandy) = problems!

I had some supper, read a book and went to bed. :sleeping:

Tomorrow is another day...

Yes. I should have guessed that (rushing to finish) + (brandy) = problems!

Good move Don, when I co*ked up a paint job (not infrequent in the bodywork trade) I always found it best to, if possible, leave it alone and come back later. When you try to repair something like that using a mixture of panic and speed it invariably ends up worse than if you went away and had a good think, or in your case sleep. Most of my models are one step forward and two back!

Jeff

Edited by Jeffthepaint

Good move Don, when I co*ked up a paint job (not infrequent in the bodywork trade) I always found it best to, if possible, leave it alone and come back later. When you try to repair something like that using a mixture of panic and speed it invariably ends up worse than if you went away and had a good think, or in your case sleep. Most of my models are one step forward and two back!

Jeff

I agree entirely, messing with half set paint (and glue) is not a good plan.

Once it's dry though, and I'm calm, there's always a way.

Finished One!

Three days to the deadline and I finished one. Well, more or less; in fact the final finishing, weathering etc will have to wait until all the six aircraft are ready to be fixed to the completed base, and that will be months away. Nevertheless I'm fairly happy with this one. She's the newish airframe that's only been in theatre for a few days. The tiger heads are unfinished. The spinner is pristine as it was only painted that morning. There's a little chipping and staining, but not much (and to be honest, nothing underneath yet). The two 'old soldiers' will have more than enough squalor for the entire squadron!

IMG_0237.jpg

I've wired up the aerials. Note the whip, which is a dogwhisker. The locking pliers are applying tension while the CA sets.

IMG_0238.jpg

A clearer view.

IMG_0240.jpg

Exhausts on. See the blue circular thing? It's a formation light, I think. I didnt want to use the Hasegawa lens cover so I filled the hole with Glue 'n' Glaze which dries clear.

IMG_0241.jpg

To stop the glue running (!!) I used these amazing clamps to stand her on a wingtip.

The following few photos are a little gallery for you to critically examine. Now's the time to tell me about all the improvements I can make. No guarantees that I'll agree with you though. :)

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

As usual all comments are welcome.

No faults in your work. Just keep going Don. The BM world is watching with bated breath. Well I am anyway. I've been impaitent to see the finished article since you unveiled it in July. Take your time. It will be a reward to us all. (no pressure) :D