Next DCS Aircraft?

Pielstick

After the Ka-50 and A-10C Eagle Dynamics are working on the next installment in the Digital Combat Simulator series. Speculation is rife as to what aircraft it will be and everyone is waiting for the announcement...

What we do know is they said it's going to be a US fixed wing fast jet. So that means:

F-15C/D

F-15E

F-16C/D

F-22A

F/A-18A/B/C/D

F/A-18E/F

AV-8B

Now then, in the past they've said they will only do aircraft which they have unfettered access to and can get hold of all the detailed technical data. They've also said they won't do a two-seat type as they don't feel they can programme an AI smart enough to do the WSO's job while you're up front flying the thing.

I don't think they would be allowed the access they require to the F-22, or indeed the Super Hornet, so that narrows it down to:

F-15C

F-16C

F/A-18A/C

AV-8B

Lots of people seem to be betting on it being an F-16 (yawn) or a Legacy Hornet, which would be pretty good to have carrier ops. Having said that, if I absolutely had to make a choice out of the four above I'd go for a Harrier. I'd worship them eternally if they included a GR7/GR9 but I know that's not going to happen.

• 1 month later...

I'd absolutely love the F-18 - Legacy or Super! F-16's been so well done by F4 and the mod teams that it'd feel a bit heretical having an awesome replacement for it :) Wouldn't mind the F-15 either, although the -E would be even better.

I've done some of my own skins for BS and A-10 (just finished an old RAF red/white training scheme for the Hog), so if they come out with the AV-8B, I could knock up a GR7/GR9 skin for you and you could pretend :)

I've been having a bit of fun lately with Flaming Cliffs 2, a bit easier to jump in and fly than the DCS stuff.

My bet's on an F/A-18C for the next DCS sim... I'd love someone to do a Tornado GR4, but it ain't gonna happen - not enough appeal for those on the other side of the Atlantic :( It's also a 2-seater which ED say they won't do.

I'm tempted by FC2 I must say, but after playing the original LOMAC and all the problems it contained, I've not convinced myself yet :)

Tornado would be absolutely awesome, but as you say it's a twin-seater - having said that though, I wouldn't mind if they did the Jag! Out of service I know, but not too complex an airframe, it'd be nice to have something a little backward :P, and they only need to pop over to the DCAE at Cranwell to get all the references they need :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I think the Harrier would be a more than welcomed aircraft to do :D! I would also love there for there to be a RAF GR9 version, never know what to future will bring :)!

Matt

Having already done a helo & flightsim. the architecture ought not to be to difficult for them to do a harrier sim. the transition from forward flight to vstol should be easy to do.

other sims have tried to do this and have been awful (Strike Fighters 2 Europe)

• 4 weeks later...

They have just announced of all things.... DCS P51D!

Due to the Fighter Collection connection.

They have just announced of all things.... DCS P51D!

Due to the Fighter Collection connection.

Utterly, Unbelievably, Astonishingly bored already.....

An AV-8 A/B or a GR-Whatever would have been top notch, but a P-51?!!?!?!?!

Still, better than an F-16 again, I suppose..!

• 5 weeks later...

Yip, that is pretty rubbish, had my money on a AV-8B. Been playing A-10C for a couple of months now and it's immense! A new fast jet type with a bit more speed would have been great!

• 3 weeks later...

I'll admit to being thoroughly unexcited by the prospect of YAM (Yet Another Mustang).

From what I can gather it's going to be a P-51D dropped straight into the existing DCS environment. That's right, a Mustang flying around a modern Caucuses region with modern Russian/Western aircraft and weapons systems.

Yes I'm scratching my head too.

On the brighter side they reckon the DCS Mustang won't delay the next "real" DCS module, which my money is still on it being an F/A-18C.