1/72 Phantom FGR-2

typhoon1

Hi There

Wonder if someone can help has any decal company done markings for the grey 29Sqn Phantom FGR-2s in the last scheme they flew in i.e. with the three red Xs in a white box on the fin top rwr i have checked all kit decals and modeldecal sheets but none found.

Kind Regards

Maintrack models released a "clearfix" sheet back in the 90's of every RAF & RN Phantim squadron in 1:48 - I got a couple at the time. I'm not sure but they may have released one in 72nd as well. If they did, next job is to try and find one.

Good hunting!

Craig,

You can use Modeldecal 65, 29 Sqdn markings as per the old Maintrack 'rub down' set show the markings were just 'below' the RWR fairing! Not on it?

Markings were used on both stnd camo and grey schemes.

Adrian

PS: Why three XXX for 29 Sqdn?

Legend has it that an Irish painter and finisher was asked to paint 2 X 1X!

So he painted 3 X's. To this day thats why 29Sqdn markings appear as they do!

PS: Why three XXX for 29 Sqdn?

Legend has it that an Irish painter and finisher was asked to paint 2 X 1X!

So he painted 3 X's. To this day thats why 29Sqdn markings appear as they do!

Found this - backs your theory up "29 Squadron is miss-spelt as XXX Squadron. This dates back to the First World War, when a Senior Aircraftman (SAC) was told to paint 29 Squadron on the aircraft using Roman numerals. The exact phrase being paint 2 X's and 1 X (XXIX - 29 Squadron), which was mistakenly interpreted as 2 X's and 1 more X making XXX Squadron, and this tradition has been kept since that initial mistake"

Found this - backs your theory up "29 Squadron is miss-spelt as XXX Squadron. This dates back to the First World War, when a Senior Aircraftman (SAC) was told to paint 29 Squadron on the aircraft using Roman numerals. The exact phrase being paint 2 X's and 1 X (XXIX - 29 Squadron), which was mistakenly interpreted as 2 X's and 1 more X making XXX Squadron, and this tradition has been kept since that initial mistake"

I believe the exact phrase in the instruction was "two X's followed by one X".

So to the uncommissioned and non-classically educated, three X's makes perfect sense!

XXX squadron markings appeared in one of the Fujimi boxings......

From memory they do (FGR2,sharks mouth boxing), but I think these are the markings that flank the nose roundel with the "xxx" Bars and the two birds of prey inside a white circle on the fin. The are no RWR markings on this scheme.

I'll see if I can dig out an old sheet later to check.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Oh, see now, that is rich! Who but a plastic head would know something like that??

I recently told about the A-4 Skyhawk being called the 'Napkin Bird', along with it's other names like "Scooter" and "Heinemanns Hot Rod." In the end, I got the thousand mile stare for it.

When I was in the Navy, it was told that Ed Heinemann, the renowned designer of the Skyhawk, cobbled up the first concepts for the A-4 on a cocktail napkin. He and his team were burning the midnite oil, in order to get a design into the competition for the Skyraider's replacement. The handiest thing to do this on, it was told, was a cocktail napkin on the bar table where they were meeting.

This story made the rounds back then and seemed to be generally accepted - now I cannot find mention of it at all. Can anyone set it straight?

Thank you for the replies chaps,the markings i am after are just the fin top rwr ones ,three red Xs in a white box outlined in red.I have the Maintrack sheet and every scheme is on that sheet ,but not the one i am after .I have had all the Fujumi kits and not in them guess i dont think they where ever done.

Kind Regards

I seem to recall additional "update" markings on a Modeldecal sheet with markings for the 29 sqn machines that flew south to the Falklands, before transferring to 23 Sqn., with the red bars ONLY - prior to the XXX's being added. The shield badge which was on either the nose or the fin may have been in this set? I can't recall the RWR flash being on these sheets, though the earlier XXX marking below the RWR and being disected by the ILS was - or was it?

Thanks for the reply Bill i recall that sheet and it had the bars on the fuselage air intake area alongside the roundel,the eagles where in a disc on the tail instead of in a shield.One decal sheet i do recall was issued with Scale Aircraft Modelling and was a RAF update i dont know what was on the sheet.

Kind Regards

what about plan B - Paint RWR White and buy a plain red sheet of decal from Bill, and slice thinly with one very sharp scalpel. Should look good!

Sounds the only way at the moment.

Shaun.

:yahoo: My 100th post!!

Edited by Shaun

It's actually taken from the meaning of XXX in the brewing trade. XXX = extra strong!

Thanks for the reply Bill i recall that sheet and it had the bars on the fuselage air intake area alongside the roundel,the eagles where in a disc on the tail instead of in a shield.One decal sheet i do recall was issued with Scale Aircraft Modelling and was a RAF update i dont know what was on the sheet.

Kind Regards

Yes, I'd forgotten about that sheet....IIRC it was the more standard scheme as applied to the camo'ed A/C and red shield but with white outlined red X's BELOW the RWR (as opposed to the Red/Black & White of the camo'ed A?C)....