Eduard Sopwith Camel

Epeeman

Latest progress on my Eduard Camel -

Well, after getting the top wing on with no real problems I thought the worse was over. Not so!!!

I'm still battling with the PE - as Pete said 'some people swear by it me I swear at it'. I could'nt agree more. Some of these PE parts are so small and fine that I struggle to handle it, let alone get it on the model. However, this evening I have managed to get the last of the damn stuff on. Had some difficulty getting the ailerons on tonight to add to the grief. I don't think they have gone on well so a bit disapointed in the result. That said, the model is about 95% complete - just need to paint the landing gear and wheels then start work on the prop. All the rigging has now been added.

I will be glad when this one is done. I would build another one but would likely go for the 'weekend edition' without the PE stuff. I think I've learnt a few lessons on this particular kit.

Will post pics once complete.

Epeeman

Finally completed the Eduard Sopwith Camel - completed in the markings of Maj WG Barker, 139 squadron June 1918. Glad this one completed - one of the more demanding and fiddly kits I have made so far and built to best of my (limited!) abilities. A few minor mistakes here and there, but had no problem getting the top wing fitted.

Epeeman

001-3.jpg

003-1.jpg

004.jpg

007-1.jpg

009.jpg

Thank you all for the words of encouragement - appreciated.

I will have a go at this Eduard Camel again in the future - I'll give the weekend edition a go. As it happens, there is a small amount of PE left over from this kit I could use which will not be as bad as the amount on this one. I think the best thing PE is good for is seat belts.

Going to give a Roden 1:72 scale Sopwith F1/3 Comic interceptor a go next.

Epeeman

Going to give a Roden 1:72 scale Sopwith F1/3 Comic interceptor a go next.

Now you've really got my attention. My favourite Camel type and my preferred scale. Looking forward to the build.

Cheers Steve

Thanks, Steve -

Have you built this particular model then? If so, any build problems to be aware off? I've read on some websites that some of Roden's Camel models have cabane struts slightly long. Also, how do you find rigging in this scale? Given some previous comments regarding the thickness of my rigging, I intend to use invisible mending thread which I hope will be correct to scale.

Made a start already - completed the seat, frame and fuel tank. Engine made up as well.

Would be very interested in seeing some of your work in this scale, mate.

Epeeman

Thanks, Steve -

Have you built this particular model then? If so, any build problems to be aware off? I've read on some websites that some of Roden's Camel models have cabane struts slightly long. Also, how do you find rigging in this scale? Given some previous comments regarding the thickness of my rigging, I intend to use invisible mending thread which I hope will be correct to scale.

Made a start already - completed the seat, frame and fuel tank. Engine made up as well.

Would be very interested in seeing some of your work in this scale, mate.

Epeeman

Haven't built this kit myself so can't help although I have a Revell Camel that has too long struts and needs correcting. I use invisible thread as rigging and to date have had no problems. Has stayed tight. Most of my recent work is on this site and the rest has been posted on the SMAKR review site.

Regards, Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Wow love the CAmel, you have made a splendid job of it, looks great. May get round to mine one day.

Thanks for sharing your experiences

All the best

Chris

Thanks, Chris - nice of you to say. Another positive to this kit is that I gained some good experience - paticularly on getting the top wing on biplane models where you have to get all struts on separately.

Have a go on your one and lets us all know how you get on.

Epeeman