1:72 Revell B1-B Lancer ++FINISHED++

Deacon

This one has been sitting in the loft for a while.

I won't be using the Cruise missiles that come with it as I think this a/c looks great without ordnance spoiling it's clean lines.

IMG_8852.jpg

The only problem will be storing it when it's built as this will be the biggest kit I will have on the shelves.

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

The only problem will be storing it when it's built as this will be the biggest kit I will have on the shelves.

Deacon

You're right there. I put this one together for a friend in Dublin about 10 years ago and it sits atop his mother's piano. I have a couple of these so I'll be following this thread with interest.

Joseph

I won't be using the Cruise missiles that come with it as I think this a/c looks great without ordnance spoiling it's clean lines. Deacon

The USAF and/or Rockwell might have tried to hang some cruise missiles under the original B-1As when they were going through Test and Evaluation, but I doubt very much if any of them were hung under the operational B-1Bs. The B models had an 8 round rotary launcher that could be fitted in any of the 3 bomb bays, so it could carry 24 of them maximum. The normal "load out" was missiles in bays one and two with an auxilliary fuel tank in bay #3.

Darwin

Some shots of my progress so far on this build.

I found a great thread on the net where someone has taken their time to look through references and find the faults with the kit.

I won't follow all their tips, but here are a few.

IMG_8731.jpg

This shows the camera housing, which was only on the prototype! So it has to go (sorry for the poor quality picture).

IMG_8730.jpg

Some of the gaps where the Cruise Missiles should sit, so they need filling.

IMG_8729.jpg

New bomb-bay doors needed as kit ones are provided for the open position.

Cheers

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

It looks like you removed that camera housing with a 1:72 scale hand grenade! lol.

I notice raised panel lines. With all the improvements you are making, will you have to go for a full rescribe?

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem
  • Like 1

It looks like you removed that camera housing with a 1:72 scale hand grenade! lol.

I notice raised panel lines. With all the improvements you are making, will you have to go for a full rescribe?

I was tempted to Don, but that is a hell of a lot of work, requiring a lot of patience. :wacko:

Deacon

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Very nice indeed. What did you use for the afterburner cans, please? The ones in the kit really let the model down.

David

Thanks David.

They are 1:48 F-15E Strike Eagle cans, produced by Aires. I can't take the credit for using 1:48 resin stuff to get a better result, as it was a suggestion on someone else's build.

You get two cans in a box as well as etched brass fans etc and they cost me more than the kit. Also, I had to chop off about a third of the resin cans, just to get the right length and shape.

But seeing how bad the kit ones were, I just had to do this 'small' add on.

I hope to get better shots to put on the gallery.

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

My modelling is going down the tubes.

Do I know you well enough to be honest? I'll take a chance. Deacon, you don't half talk rubbish at times. lol.

The lancer is lovely. Very nicely assembles and with a perfect, even paint job. Adding the resin cans was a great decision becoause, for me, the complexity of their mechanism (brought out very well by your painting) contrasts with and highlights the beautiful flowing lines of the aircraft. The restrained paint job also draws attention to that amazing shape which surely is the thing about the B-1 that makes us all go 'ahhh'.

I'd love to have it on my shelf (apart from the fact that it's the wrong scale. lol).

• 1 year later...