Last Minute Addition (1)

I was at Sunderland Air Museum last week, and I picked this up:

Yak-9Box.jpg

Another venerable kit, but with a couple of attractive (and relevant) marking options. Interestingly, the DG/DE colours in the box art transform into Russian Green/Black by the time you reach the instructions.

Parts are few, and showing thier age - the starboard machine gun has disappeared from the fuselage for example.

Yak-9Parts.jpg

Next - construction.

Andy

Construction was swift, with only 8 parts making up the bulk of the airframe. (would have been 9 if the carpet monster hadn't eaten the entire contents of the cockpit - a 'seat'), so I got to the decalling stage in under 2 hours. Progress pics seem superfluous under the circumstances.

There are as many decals as there are parts, so that didn't take long eiher, and so I was here:

Yak-9Inprogress1.jpg

I splashed ink washes over the basic colours as part of the weathering process - they're really obvious here, but were toned down quite a bit when I finshed construction:

Yak-9Inprogress2.jpg

Andy

And lo, here it is finished:

Yak-9Complete3.jpg

Yak-9D flown by M Chaustowicz of Warszawa Regiment, Spring 1945. The other markings are for the same regiment at about the same time, but use Russian stars with a Polish cockade for the nose. I thought these ones were more in keeping with the spirit of the GB.

This was an uber quick build, and of a quality no better than I was churning out 35 years ago, but it was fun. Still need to practice washes and weathering though - they never seem to work as well on aircraft as they do on vehicles and figures - for comparison here's a Saracen I'm working on:

Saracen.jpg

Both pics taken within the last hour on the same camera in the same room. The flash always adds an harsh element, and highlights flaws like nobody's business (for example, the green on the top strokes of the '100' is all but invisible to the naked eye - well my eye anyway).

Andy

not bad, Andy! Not bad! :thumbsup2:

Vielen Dank Micha, ihr seid zu gütig.

OK, now I can do quick I have to seriously work on the quality.