My 2nd FAA Corsair

Jens

As promised in the other FAA Corsair thread here are some pictures of the second one of its kind on my table.

Unlike the other Corasir this one has been painted with British colours (MM enamels again). It represents a Corsair II from 757 Sqn in June 1944.

The lighter spots around the serial number is actually flat paint. I was unsure whether there was a bit of sivering so I painted the clear parts of the decals with a fine brush.

IMG_0253_800.jpg

IMG_0255_800.jpg

IMG_0256_800.jpg

IMG_0257_800.jpg

As usual critique is welcome.

Regards,

Edited by Jens

Hi Jens,

Great to see the second of your Corsairs getting the paint/decal treatment, and they're all the more interesting for your highlighting the difference in colours used (subtle though they may be). Could I ask for some amplification on why this one has primered wheel wells, as opposed to underside colour (sky on this one, yes?)? I'm learning heaps from this site about FAA Corsairs; hope you don't mind the questions.

Thanks for the pics and I hope both of your Corsairs continue on in this vein. Keep up the great work.

Andrew.

Hi Jens,

Great to see the second of your Corsairs getting the paint/decal treatment, and they're all the more interesting for your highlighting the difference in colours used (subtle though they may be). Could I ask for some amplification on why this one has primered wheel wells, as opposed to underside colour (sky on this one, yes?)? I'm learning heaps from this site about FAA Corsairs; hope you don't mind the questions.

Thanks for the pics and I hope both of your Corsairs continue on in this vein. Keep up the great work.

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew, and I don't mind the questions at all. :)

I have painted the wheel wells yellow zinc chromate because my references said so. According to my references (a couple of discussions on HS I believe) the F4U-1 had dark salmon wheel bays which was changed to yellow zinc chromate about the time when the -1A was introduced. Gear doors would have had the yellow primer covered with light grey (the underside colour) on the inner surfaces. At least that is how I interpreted the discussions.

I think you will see the differences in colours more clearly when I get a chance to photograph the models next to each other. Especially the slate grey/green and the light grey/sky variations.

Regards,

Looking great Jens!

I've ordered a MDC correction for FAA Corsairs in hopes of doing one soon. Yours will serve as a useful guideline!

Thanks David.

Although I was aware of the existence of the MDC set I chose to make the modifications myself. On my models all I have changed are the wingtips and the air scoop on either side of the fuselage. I knew I would build at least three FAA Corsairs so I took the cheap way out. Unless I missed some major modification I can live with what I have now (which means more money for more models). ;)

Regards,

Thanks David.

Although I was aware of the existence of the MDC set I chose to make the modifications myself. On my models all I have changed are the wingtips and the air scoop on either side of the fuselage. I knew I would build at least three FAA Corsairs so I took the cheap way out. Unless I missed some major modification I can live with what I have now (which means more money for more models). ;)

Regards,

Looks great, Jens. Somewhow the Corsair looks better in roundels than stars and blue. Maybe its just me.

I was also glad to see the RAAF roundels in the darker blue color as most references show that. Many decal makers seem to think they should be a lighter blue, near a "french blue" and print them that way. Which is correct, oh Wisened FAA Master?