Valiant B.1 (1:72 Airfix)

Cheers guys :)

...but can you put a ruler in to show scale - am sure you are kidding us and this is not 1/72 ;-)

Imagine the size of a Valiant cockpit, then divide by 72 :wicked: I'll try & get a coin or summit in the next photos :)

Cheers folks :)

Mike that is gorgeos, but can you put a ruler in to show scale - am sure you are kidding us and this is not 1/72 ;-)

Here's another shot with a gigantic penny next to it to convince you it's 1:72 :wicked:

cockpit5.jpg

Cheers Rob :)

I'm just building up a little "pressure cooker" looking thing that sits behind the starboard (as you look from back to front) back seater. it's an odd trolley like affair with a big cylinder set into the top. That's got little knobs & boxes on the top, and I haven't a clue what it is :dunce:

The "pressure cooker"/"kettle" is/was a calculator Mk.2 or 3. It was an electro-mechanical device (clockwork) for calculating bomb runs with lots of gear wheels and wiggly amp cable and stuff. The Navigator/Bomb-Aimer, later Nav/Rad used to operate it and the Instrument Techies (universally and henceforth known as "Fairies"), used to "maintain" it.

However - because it was Big and Heavy and held in with bolts bigger than 2BA, we "heavies" (Airframe Techies) used to have to oik it out of the aeroplane so that the "Fairies" delicate manicured paws would not get "soiled".

In later years, it was a very useful table for putting empty coffee cups on.

Video of the innards working here:-

http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/tvve/nbsa1s.mpg

I'll get back to you about the two types of rear seats. I've got four of the later version in the Victor cockpit in my back garden so I'll get my two sons to haul one out, clean it up and I'll take some piccies for future reference. The original seats were used as sixth seats on 543, for the Crew Chief:-

SEATCOMPARISON.jpg

Regards

DR

this is...interesting.

I will faithfully save all the info here to use on my valiant when I get one....have the victor and the vulcan so absolutely positively

MUST have a valiant....

and I'll do it in the grey/green camo colours so it fits with my liking of grey/green camo colours....:)

The "pressure cooker"/"kettle" is/was a calculator Mk.2 or 3. It was an electro-mechanical device (clockwork) for calculating bomb runs with lots of gear wheels and wiggly amp cable and stuff. The Navigator/Bomb-Aimer, later Nav/Rad used to operate it and the Instrument Techies (universally and henceforth known as "Fairies"), used to "maintain" it.

Thanks for that info chap :)

this is...interesting.

I feel truly blessed :closedeyes:

Well the penny proves that I will not be building one of those, at least not to that level of detail, unless my sausage fingers slim down a bit.

Cheers

Den

Well the penny proves that I will not be building one of those, at least not to that level of detail, unless my sausage fingers slim down a bit.

:lol: You've met my fingers Den, so you know they're probably as sausagey as yours. That's why God invented tweezers ;)

The front seats have been installed today. They're Aeroclub metal seats with some scratch built rears & mounting specific to the Valiant. At present I'm just gluing in the rear crew's only way of glimpsing daylight - those oval side windows :)

cockpit7.jpg