Valiant B.1 (1:72 Airfix)

Howdo folks ^_^

When the big Airfix box arrived from Margate for review (here) I just couldn't resist having a play with some of the parts, which ended up with me doing some work on the cockpit. I've been studying how light falls into the cockpit, and if I leave the crew door open, that will be the most visible part. The front cockpit where the pilots sit will be pretty dark by the time the glazing is on and the majority covered with paint, so I decided to do a bit of detail work on the side wall opposite the door, as well as replacing the rather comfy looking rear crew seats with the rather less plush tube framed affairs that are actually in there.

cockpit1.jpg

The lower half of the sidewall is a mass of wiring, so some stringers and lead wire went in first. I've also added some boxes and panels that can be seen, and have started the detailing of those with some Archer rivets representing the switches that festoon them. More work to come on that area. I've also added the ribbing under the crew desk, plus a couple of supports. It seems that the kit's "leg space" doesn't stretch far back enough, so I've just put in a representation of the front portion. The main panel that the three lucky rear crew stare at during operations also seems a bit far back compared to the window opposite the crew door. I'm not overly bothered though, as the great many kits will be built with the door closed, with the detail never to be seen.

The three seat backs can be seen in the foreground of the picture, but there's a lot more work to be done before I can install them. More news as it happens :)

ah now this is going to be good.

I think you're on the wrong thread? ;)

Why have I had a fluff invasion in that pic? Oh yeah... I cleaned the bench before I started :rolleyes:

Making me seriously jealous here! Absolutely itching to get my hands on one of these when they finally come out!

Looking great so far though!

Regards,

Nik

Thanks guys :)

Good work there Mike. And a fantastic picture of the Nipper. Handsome like his mother then??? :innocent:

He got the best bits of both of us... That pic was taken on his 1st Birthday on Tuesday ^_^

great start mike ill be watching this too, popcorn time me thinks, has the kit made it to the shops yet i canot wait to buy a few and start my own, looks a gorgeous kit

I can see a downside to adding that interior detail. It might well encourage scroats to pick up the model for a 'peer' into the interior. Best not to encourage 'em.

Anyone want to start a pool as to how amny Valiant builds end up on here?

W

I can see a downside to adding that interior detail. It might well encourage scroats to pick up the model for a 'peer' into the interior. Best not to encourage 'em.

Anyone want to start a pool as to how amny Valiant builds end up on here?

W

Or, how many end up in the "what if " forum!! :lol:

Mike, thats stunning - how do you get it looking so neat.... if I could point you at my Prowler (shameless plug for more ego-boosting comments (well constructive criticsm please)) the scratch work just looks clunky and undeveloped.... would love to see how i move up to the next level (still way below you and a lot of others on here are producing)

Mike, thats stunning - how do you get it looking so neat.... if I could point you at my Prowler (shameless plug for more ego-boosting comments (well constructive criticsm please)) the scratch work just looks clunky and undeveloped.... would love to see how i move up to the next level (still way below you and a lot of others on here are producing)

Thanks Rob :)

As to advice, I'd say that my head mounted magnifier was the biggest improver of my alleged "skills". Seeing your work at 2.5 or 3 times actual size makes it easier and more compelling to make a tidy job of things. It also makes you more critical of what you've done, and encourages you to raise your game. Other than that, it's practice, practice, practice I'm afraid. Use some of the great modellers here and elsewhere as an inspiration just like I do :)

looking superb mike ! i have rule generally that i dont do anything smaller than 1/48 but

i have a victor and a vulcan (what double standards ? )

so i suppose i'll need one of these then :closedeyes:

jim.

I'm the same Jim, but some aircraft either aren't available or aren't practical in 1:48 unless you happen to own a gigantic hangar of a house :shrug:

Oh i cant wait to get a Valiant. I'm gonna watch this build very closely. :yikes:

Thanks Rob :)

As to advice, I'd say that my head mounted magnifier was the biggest improver of my alleged "skills". Seeing your work at 2.5 or 3 times actual size makes it easier and more compelling to make a tidy job of things. It also makes you more critical of what you've done, and encourages you to raise your game. Other than that, it's practice, practice, practice I'm afraid. Use some of the great modellers here and elsewhere as an inspiration just like I do :)

argh - you mean there is no magic formula... thats no flippin good!!!! i dont mind practice... i am trying to teach myself as I go and the biggest thing I need to learn is patience... well hope to see more of this....

Yesterday's work is now dry... not much to show really :shrug:

I filled the ejector pin marks in the port intake with CA, and sanded them roughly back flat:

intake1.jpg

To highlight any blemishes, I gave them a spot coat of primer:

intake2.jpg

There are a few tiny bits of work to do before I can glue the two halves together, but already they're much improved from stock :) Then the fun with skinny sanding sticks begins :sleep_1: