ROYAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY S.E.5.a

Ok so here it is off the plans..........

se5aplans023.jpg

se5aplans024.jpg

se5aplans025.jpg

I am happy that it turned out all square and now I can continue with the top half of the Fuselage.

As usual thanks for looking in and I'll post again when the top half is done! :)

Cheers

Lovely work Fozz, looking forward to this :speak_cool:

I just had a salad sandwich by the way!!

Si.

Funny you should say that!!...mine was a salad sandwich as well!!!... :hmmm:

...Can't wait to see the end result of your B17....its brilliant!

Edited by Fozzy

I'm still watching and Im definitely not bored!

Brian

Seconded :)

Glad to aee you've overcome your problems and been able to start again. The 2nd attempt is looking nice so far :)

Coming along nicely so far...

se5aplans025.jpg

I would like to think I could produce something like that, but I know my (lack of) patience would get the better of me and I couldnt :(

bruce3371 Posted Today, 06:52 PM

Glad to aee you've overcome your problems and been able to start again. The 2nd attempt is looking nice so far

Cheers mate.....I'm glad it wasn't my third attempt!!

Hypnobear Posted Today, 09:34 PM

I would like to think I could produce something like that, but I know my (lack of) patience would get the better of me and I couldnt

Yes it does take patience and practise to scratch build but I think a lot of it is to do with interest in the subject you are doing...eg My plastic kit model making is not half as good as a lot of the models I see on this forum because I havn't got my heart in it!!...Horses for courses I guess...........

Cheers

Fascinating stuff, Foz - I'm almost tempted to give it a go myself.

Do it Campbell....Pm coming your way!

Hi chaps

time for a quick update.

Heres the photos...............

1.jpg

se5aplans004.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

...........Ok...so it dosn't look much as usual :( ....if I was building a kit from the box it would have been done and painted and decaled by now!!!...but I'm not ;)

In the photos former number D+1 had to be made by lots of measuring right left and centre as the plans didn't provide one and I thought that I needed a former in that position....the real Aircraft does so it had to be made.

Once again I have to wait untill the glue sets before placing the stringers between the formers...Which I'll do tomorrow.

Thanks for popping in and having a look!!

Cheers

My grandad had one of these at the end of his garden minus the engine, just after the first world war, as he was a cabinet maker he used the wood for table legs and chairs as it was good quality wood,

My grandad had one of these at the end of his garden minus the engine, just after the first world war, as he was a cabinet maker he used the wood for table legs and chairs as it was good quality wood,

Unbelievable!!

Well he had better quality of wood to work with than I have! :(

To Bruce and Vulcanicity.......Thanks a lot chaps...glad you are enjoying this build......

Dr.Jellyfingers Posted Today, 12:55 AM

This could well end up being air worthy couldn't it Fozz?

By the time I finish this project ...the wood will have woodworm !!!so I doubt she would be safe to fly!!! ;)

Cheers

I am enjoying watching this build unfold mate, I built a Guillows SE5.A a few years ago, unfortunately I didn't have any dope thinners to hand and the project stalled. It never survived the home move from the UK to Holland and it's remains are lurking in the cellar along with another Guillows Mitsubishi Zero Sen that I haven't got the interest in starting.

Interesting that you have moved to Bulgaria, we had our honeymoon in Sofia and have many family friends that are native Bulgarians. I understand the LMS thing you referred to as even though it was our honeymoon I made Mrs A trog round Sofia centre for hours looking for a real Bulgarian LMS, in the vain hope that I may find some indigenous manufacturer that made Bulgarian Air Force kits for a few Lev's. I failed massively only finding one shop with any kits which were all Revell and strangely all Luftwaffe WWII subjects, I got the impression that Bulgarians didn't really like ze Germans! Anyway like I said I failed and went on a nice trip round the Natural History Museum & the Alexander Levski cathedral, I was surprised to find a type of flea market only a few hundred metres from the cathedral selling predominantly "genuine" Nazi badges etc. I almost bought a "genuine" Kriegsmarine U-boot service lighter, but then realised that I didn't smoke so it would be pretty redundant!

Sorry for blathering on, err back to earth, lovely stuff mate keep it coming!

I am enjoying watching this build unfold mate, I built a Guillows SE5.A a few years ago, unfortunately I didn't have any dope thinners to hand and the project stalled. It never survived the home move from the UK to Holland and it's remains are lurking in the cellar along with another Guillows Mitsubishi Zero Sen that I haven't got the interest in starting.

Interesting that you have moved to Bulgaria, we had our honeymoon in Sofia and have many family friends that are native Bulgarians. I understand the LMS thing you referred to as even though it was our honeymoon I made Mrs A trog round Sofia centre for hours looking for a real Bulgarian LMS, in the vain hope that I may find some indigenous manufacturer that made Bulgarian Air Force kits for a few Lev's. I failed massively only finding one shop with any kits which were all Revell and strangely all Luftwaffe WWII subjects, I got the impression that Bulgarians didn't really like ze Germans! Anyway like I said I failed and went on a nice trip round the Natural History Museum & the Alexander Levski cathedral, I was surprised to find a type of flea market only a few hundred metres from the cathedral selling predominantly "genuine" Nazi badges etc. I almost bought a "genuine" Kriegsmarine U-boot service lighter, but then realised that I didn't smoke so it would be pretty redundant!

Sorry for blathering on, err back to earth, lovely stuff mate keep it coming!

Yep ........I have seen one model shop in Sofia which is as big as a broom cupboard!!and yes all German WW2 aircraft model kits...this is because the Bulgarians fought along side the Germans in WW2 and its part of their History weather the Bulgarians like the Germans or not!!!..Interestingly ...the flea Market is still in operation and still selling (I'm afraid) fake Nazi memorabilia to the un suspecting public!!!

You should dig out your Guillows S.E.5.a and get it finished..............

By the way....are you /were you Army or Airforce?....I'm guessing here!!

Edited by Fozzy

Hello again

I worked on the rear end of the Fuselage yesterday attaching the Stringers onto the Formers. When they dried I gave them a quick gentle sand down to see how it all turned out.It seems to all be in order except for one thing!

I will have to strengthen the Fuselage frame work before continuing else when I eventually apply the covering it might warp!! :o ...and we can't have that!!!

Here's how she looks now.................

se5aplans005-1.jpg

se5aplans002.jpg

se5aplans001-1.jpg

se5aplans003-1.jpg

se5aplans004-1.jpg

Ok.....so to strengthen the Fuselage I will have to put some sort of cross members ,made out of hard wood,onto parts of the frame .....they will be covered so no one will see them.

Will get back to you when thats complete....

cheers

Nice work Foz - you may have mentioned this already, but what sort of glue do you use? Will you be doing the internals as well (engine?)

There's a rather nice full sized SE5a hanging from the roof of the shopping centre where I live (Farnborough) - I must admit that I used it as a reference for my Roden 1/48 jobbie. It's a good looking plane the SE5a - elegant and robust. Also a bit timeless, I think - you could amost imagine it making a nice little runabout for anyone rich enough to own & fly one today.

Nice work Foz - you may have mentioned this already, but what sort of glue do you use? Will you be doing the internals as well (engine?)

There's a rather nice full sized SE5a hanging from the roof of the shopping centre where I live (Farnborough) - I must admit that I used it as a reference for my Roden 1/48 jobbie. It's a good looking plane the SE5a - elegant and robust. Also a bit timeless, I think - you could amost imagine it making a nice little runabout for anyone rich enough to own & fly one today.

Hi mate

No I didn't mention the glues I was using....for gluing the the hardwood Fuselage frame work together I simply use Wood glue/White glue/UHU Coll or what ever you want to call it!!!...and yes...I will be doing a full detailed scratch built cockpit and Engine/Engine Bay....well at least I am going to have a go at it.......I have never done a 1:20 scale 200hp Hispano- Suiza 8b v8 engine before!!!..can't be that difficult ..can it? :o !!!!!!!!!!!

So as you can see this is going to be a long thread!!.....The S.E.5.a is a fabulous plane....nice and boxy(if you know what I mean!) I fell in love with them years ago when I saw Malcom Mcdowell flying one in Aces High the film (old film I know but just the same ...great!) Still got the Film as it happens on DVD!

So as you can see this is going to be a long thread!!.....The S.E.5.a is a fabulous plane....nice and boxy(if you know what I mean!) I fell in love with them years ago when I saw Malcom Mcdowell flying one in Aces High the film (old film I know but just the same ...great!) Still got the Film as it happens on DVD!

First of all it turns out we have the same favourite WW1 plane, then, it turns it's our favourite for the same reason!!!!

First of all it turns out we have the same favourite WW1 plane, then, it turns it's our favourite for the same reason!!!!

Great minds think alike Bruce!!!! ;) .....and Thanks a lot Chris!

Good afternoon gents.

Now then ...where were we?...Oh yes...strengthening the Fuselage.

Well basically I just glued a few cross members in the weak areas of the frame and I hope that will be enough! :unsure: we will soon find out!

Next I had to check lots of photos from the internet to find out exactly where the wheel struts will join the Fuselage and where the Lower Wing root joins the Fuselage....and found out that the locations on the plans I am using are A-OK......

so this then meant that I had to place blocks of Balsa wood at those locations so that at a later stage I can literally pin and glue the wheel struts and the Lower Wings in place....do you get what I am saying?....I'm not that good at explaining things...sorry :wacko: ....Maybe the photos will be easier to understand!!!............

se5aplans003-2.jpg

In the photo the front block of wood (to the right )will be for the front wheel strut ...the centre block will be for the leading edge of the Wing and the left block of wood will be for the trailing edge of the wing root and the rear wheel strut location!!!......I'm glad we got that sorted!!! :rolleyes:

Here are some other angles..............

se5aplans001-2.jpg

se5aplans002-1.jpg

As you can see I have also placed the floor for the Cockpit area.

Tomorrow I will be fixing the front two Formers on to the Fuselage and then try to work out what the next stage should be!!

Till then cheers for looking in :)

Edited by Fozzy