Cuban Sea Fury

neilfgr2

Guys,

Half way through the hobbycraft 48th Sea Fury and im doing it in the Cuban Air Force scheme.

Does anyone know what the wheel well colour would be??? I know the Fleet Air Arm fury's had the same Sky colour in the wells but would the Cuban ones be silver or bare metal...

Two scheme's, which one to go for???

Seafurfae.jpg

50_3_b3.jpg

Cheers,

Neil

Guys,

Half way through the hobbycraft 48th Sea Fury and im doing it in the Cuban Air Force scheme.

Does anyone know what the wheel well colour would be??? I know the Fleet Air Arm fury's had the same Sky colour in the wells but would the Cuban ones be silver or bare metal...

Two scheme's, which one to go for???

Seafurfae.jpg

Cheers,

Neil

I like this one Neil, hope it helps.

Bex

Hi Neil,

I've been to Cuba earlier this year and the only 2 Seafury's they still have (as far as i know) i saw in museums and had Bare metal wheelbays.. But i have to say they had a different camouflage pattern as the 2 ones you posted here. :hmmm:

I made the bare metal one you posted, using a 1:48 Hobbycraft Seafury kit with the shown decals/nr's. :D

Proper Cuban decals are quite hard to get... I have got a set and kit for a Cuban Mig-21 and Mig-23 decals still waiting to be build because there where a few in the Air force Museum In Havana. I actually climbed into a Mig-21 and Mig-23 cockpit and sat on their Bang seat playing pilot for a while.. :wicked: (read: annoying the wife..) You try that in any european museum... you may not even touch the paint here but are just allowed to look at it, in Cuba though they just let you sit in the plane and play for a while with all buttons and stuff. As they where that easy-going i was even a bit afraid touching the fire button, i mean suppose that cuban guy responsible for disarming the guns just had a break and forgot to stick the safetypins back in...and some dutch tourist comes along crawls into the pit and blasts the half museum away with a burst of the guns. :shithappens:

Eehh Sorry Fidel... :whistle:

Martin

Neil, here is the one I did for our first group build on this glorious site. It also won my local IPMS chapter;s Latin themed competition, at which I was duly pounced on by a bunch of latino guys (not uncommon here in Southern California) and they pointed out the errors of my ways.

The BMF scheme should be all BMF including wheels and wells.

The Camo scheme although I've seen three seperate profiles for it would not be bare metal undersides and spinner although it looks like it and that's what I did, but light aircraft grey. The wheels and wells are anyones guess, there is evidence that the camo ones started life as BMF who knows if they painted the wells and wheels afterwards.

Decals for the Camo ones are a bugger to find, the codes I had to cobble together from the spares box and used insignia from the Zotz "roundels of the world" sheet. The decals in the Hobbycraft boxing were wrong as they would have you use the pre-revolution F.A.E.C star and bar rather than post F.A.R. Star triangle thingy.

Another note of interest is that at that time apparently the canopies where so badly weathered and scratched up that they where barely see through, and I was so proud of my crystal clear vac-form canopy.

Agood source of Latin decals though I think no Cuban ones.

Oooh and have fun cleaning up the 32 injector pin marks in the wheel well otherwise it's a nice little kit

I think the natural metal finish is more accurate for the operational aircraft, may have read something about the current museum scheme was applied after they were taken out of service. Not 100% sure though.

Neil, here is the one I did for our first group build on this glorious site. It also won my local IPMS chapter;s Latin themed competition, at which I was duly pounced on by a bunch of latino guys (not uncommon here in Southern California) and they pointed out the errors of my ways.

The BMF scheme should be all BMF including wheels and wells.

The Camo scheme although I've seen three seperate profiles for it would not be bare metal undersides and spinner although it looks like it and that's what I did, but light aircraft grey. The wheels and wells are anyones guess, there is evidence that the camo ones started life as BMF who knows if they painted the wells and wheels afterwards.

Decals for the Camo ones are a bugger to find, the codes I had to cobble together from the spares box and used insignia from the Zotz "roundels of the world" sheet. The decals in the Hobbycraft boxing were wrong as they would have you use the pre-revolution F.A.E.C star and bar rather than post F.A.R. Star triangle thingy.

Another note of interest is that at that time apparently the canopies where so badly weathered and scratched up that they where barely see through, and I was so proud of my crystal clear vac-form canopy.

Agood source of Latin decals though I think no Cuban ones.

Oooh and have fun cleaning up the 32 injector pin marks in the wheel well otherwise it's a nice little kit

Hi Leigh,

Beautifull model (had seen it before) but did you know that the Cuban Insignia are placed upside down on your model?

Martin

Hi Leigh,

Beautifull model (had seen it before) but did you know that the Cuban Insignia are placed upside down on your model?

Martin

Yup, it's a cock up with the decals, the apex of both the triangle and the star should be at the top but no orientation of those decals will make that work so I opted for the choice where at least the star was level in the triangle even if upside down rather than cocked to one side which I thought would just look sloppy.

Yup, it's a cock up with the decals, the apex of both the triangle and the star should be at the top but no orientation of those decals will make that work so I opted for the choice where at least the star was level in the triangle even if upside down rather than cocked to one side which I thought would just look sloppy.

Hi Leigh,

I think you don't understand what i mean,

No what i mean is that your decals are exactly upside down the way they are right now! nothing wrong with the way the star is inside the triangle!

By turning them around the white star is looking like an american star with the Triangle having a flat end on top and one point facing down (like the Cuban insignia on all other planes)

Wich also means that the Drawing of the Camo Seafury that Neil posted on top of this posting has the insignia wrong!

Search google for pics of: Museo del aire havana

Martin

I can't get it right this week can I! :blush:

I wasn't being harsh, I was trying to say I'm prepared to be impressed. As you know, I proper love that Sea Fury you take to the shows. Ah well, I think in future I won't comment on anything till you've finished :lol:

Jen.

Hi Neil,

Just to throw my 2pence into the pot...

I did a bit of reaserch into these airframes and as far as I could deduce they were sent from Hawkers in a overall Silver finish, not N.M.F. so I would paint the u/c bay silver!

The two tone scheme I think is based on the museum examples and is very dubious for actual service use. Around the time of the Bay of Pigs fiasco a number seem to have been repainted in an overall dark green colour.

Information on these birds is in the same calss as rocking horse XXXX and hens teeth so can be wide open for interpretation and other ideas, so have fun...!

HTH

Christian

I can't get it right this week can I! :blush:

I wasn't being harsh, I was trying to say I'm prepared to be impressed. As you know, I proper love that Sea Fury you take to the shows. Ah well, I think in future I won't comment on anything till you've finished :lol:

Jen.

I know you were only joking and I take it as a joke... blimey im starting to laugh at my own self now when it comes to modelling... ;)

Cheers,

Neil

Hi Neil,

Just to throw my 2pence into the pot...

I did a bit of reaserch into these airframes and as far as I could deduce they were sent from Hawkers in a overall Silver finish, not N.M.F. so I would paint the u/c bay silver!

The two tone scheme I think is based on the museum examples and is very dubious for actual service use. Around the time of the Bay of Pigs fiasco a number seem to have been repainted in an overall dark green colour.

Information on these birds is in the same calss as rocking horse XXXX and hens teeth so can be wide open for interpretation and other ideas, so have fun...!

HTH

Christian

Cheers for that Christian, i may go for the camo one as it can be weathered quite well.

Thanks again,

Neil,

And Sean, I fart in your general direction.... :analintruder:

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Bit of a change of scheme due to the Alclad going tits up... kept getting swirly patterns when i sprayed the stuff... :angrysoapbox.sml:

So ,

Which one to go for???

John Bradshaws Fury which has Dutch, Australian,British and Canadian markings on it

Or the Canadian one with the red wings tips???

1071575F.jpg

1034033F.jpg

Fig2012.jpg

Fig2012b.jpg

Cheers,

Neil