LOTUS 49 Goldleaf 1968 Tamiya 1/12

Brilliant work Kirk, it would be great to see a complete list of the improvements you have done!!

Keep up the good work, it will look brilliant when finished.

All the best

Jim

When its done (BIG WHEN!) I will try & recap everything so that anyone else fancing a go can follow it a bit easier. This is the 1st 12 scale car Ive built, so theres a fair bit of trial & error going on regarding materials etc but you guys are helping me along with your kind words of encouragement, cheers to all. Altering the nose cone now, cutting chunks out of it, OMG what am I doing?

Mac

Cheers Radleigh & Obi for your comments, much appreciated.

Looks as though a fair few a checking in on me little project so I thought I better update the state of play! The nose cone has been altered to the style that was used on Hills car in Jamara ( there are some piccys in the earlier photos of Clarks car which had the same cone on & then hills in the actual race) if you want to refer back. This envolved cutting away the sides (sweaty bit)! then adding the little arch fins from card. Ive rescribed the fuel hatch covers in the correct place on the tub, about 5mm or so further back, altered the lower front suspension mount shape from the early triangular one on the picture to the correct later squidgy oblong style. Cuts have been made in the rear bulkhead for the engine mount plates that will have to be made. Also both cars R1 & R2 were altered in the early life to fit a new strenghthening baffle in the front where the drivers legs go into, this envolved cutting of the front off the tub, strenghening then rebuilding. This left a very thin double skin on both cars which can be seen as a line near the fuel hatch covers. I have scribed in on both sides to simulate this, using photo references for the rather odd shape. I found a good way of doing this was to cut 10thou card to the correct shape, tape in place then scribe along the card, so to get the same shape both sides. Rivits have now been ordered so I will carry on with the radiator which is also undergoing improvement. Thats it for now, any questions or comments always welcome.

Cheers for now Mac

NOSEPROGRESS.jpg

TUBALTS.jpg

TUBINPRIMER.jpg

Love the shots of the body in primer, the finish looks so cleanly done, beautiful work. Have to add, the photography is also really rather excellent, nice and bright, but no harsh shadows. Mac, how are you lighting the photographs?

Darren

Thanks Darren, getting the primer on does pull it all together somewhat.

Er............. I have to confess, for my sins I am a professional photographer by day but these photos are done fairly quickly, mostly late on a night just using a bounce flash straight of the white ceiling, no tricks just basic equipment.

Hope that helps, Mac

This is one of the most detailed build i am watching. Even if its a 1:12 scale the work done requires lot of patience. This is going to turn out a Museum model.

What is a Bounce flash?

Cheers,

rishi

At the rate I building, I may be in the museum before it!

Bounce flash is just using a flash head with a tilt facility. You point the flash at another surface & bounce it back on to your subject, in this case upwards onto a white ceiling then back down to the model, it tends to spread the light an gives a much softer shadow, rather than direct flash belted straight at the subject which gives dark shadows. It gives a more flattering appearance to your subject.

Mac

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, sorry theres not been much to show you lately, been bogged down with rivits & tedious trial and error of fitting cooling pipes etc before paintwork can commence. First of all Ive rivited all the areas around the front of the tub that were either not there, lost or removed for other reasons. Then I noticed (just in time) that the fuel hatch cover (oval bit on top of tub) had the rivits moulded on the inside, so I decided it had to go, que rescribe & rivits on the outside etc etc. Further work was undertaken to the tub with small drillings here and there as seen on real car plus adding....emm more rivits were and there. The nose cone also had the rivits added to the new fairings, very happy with the the way they have turned out as ive only got a few photos to work from. Ive also been working on the cooling pipes to replace the very overscale kit one and also to make up the underbody ones to fit with a modified rad. Rear panel has had scratch build electric bits & bobs plus brake pipes added. Ive done these first & will be masked of just incase the body got a bit mucked about once the paint is on. Gear stick has been scratched as has the fitting in the tub as the kit ones were just well......... crap really. Anyway slowly moving toward paint soon whoopee! :winkgrin: Some pics for now, see you in a bit.

Mac.

Rivits.jpg

REARPANEL.jpg

GEARLEAVER.jpg

COOLPIPE1.jpg

Cheers guys, much appreciated as always. I should have said that the rivits on the body are Archer transfers, AR88009, you get 3 sizes on the sheet. I thought I would need a couple of sizes & they are very expensive!!!!! so this worked out the best. They are a doddle to use but I did have to cut loads of them up into idividual rivits so I could space them correctly or curve them but they blend in well with the original spec & I thought it was a better option than drilling for the tiny metal ones I also have. I used these on the back panel to hold the electrical fittings in place, drill through then bend the back over from the inside, simples!

Radders I know how you feel, these projects do kind of wear you down but your Porsche & Messerschmitt are long term builds & will be great when they are done. I decided with this to take a break from time to time from the section Im building to work on another area, just so I feel overall progess is being made, it also helps this way if you get frustrated with a certain problem you can do another part & come back to it when your minds fresher. I tend to end up with a box full of sub assemblies then they all come together near the end. e.g. all the front suspension for the Lotus is painted & done as are the tyres etc. Keep it going mate.

Mac

Edited by macgregor

Cheers for replying Mac, They look wicked.. Just found the site and I think I'm going to have to order some bits off there, more money!

As for the Me-109 and Porsche, they are indeed long term projects. I've stopped the Mil for a while now, Just going to concentrate on them two for the time being..

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, sorry not been updating lately, 2 family funerals in the last 4 weeks have knocked things to pot a bit so Ive just tried to get cracking on whenever I can as I want to complete before Christmas! Also had a knock back with the decals I hope to use, discovered few sizing & accuracy issues & spent a whole day researching & working on re-sizing etc, now back in the hands of the decal producer to see if we can sort it out. In the mean time Ive got the paint on, altered the kit rad to accomodate the new pipe work, improved the oil tank by adding the missing bottom section & new pipe conections, added brake lines, covered the seat with thin soft leather (old glove) not any old glove but a lonely M&S glove! Currently working on the instrument bezel. Originally I was going to use the kit one but the shape just isnt right so Im working on a replacement as you can see. Ive now been able to assemble all the front section with the suspension etc & secure the engine to the tub. Ive used a small screw inside as I dont think it will stand much flexing otherwise. Anyway some pics for now, see you again soon.

Mac

Rad & brake work

RAD1.jpg

RAD2.jpg

Nose in place

CONEPAINTED.jpg

Oil tank

OILTANK.jpg

Seat

LEATHSEAT.jpg

Rear harness wiring

REARHARNESS.jpg

Instruments under construction

BEZEL.jpg

Edited by macgregor

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, Ive got the instrument panel 95% finished now, all completely scratch built apart from the decals for the clocks. Also got an e-mail tonight from america, the guy who is working with me has said he has made the amendnments I have recommended for this car, not seen them yet but fingers crossed I will get them soon.

Instruments.jpg

Cheers for now & thanks all who are taking an interest, much appreciated. Mac