Do you ever use poetic licence

Ronnie

By all means do what you want in the privacy of your own model room, as clearly do we all.

I would only cavil over the presentation of such a model in public without some kind of qualification. Having fun is one thing, misleading others is something else.

In answer to ssculptor, I've been in IPMS for over 40 years without ever encountering any attitude that it was some kind of religion.

In answer to ssculptor, I've been in IPMS for over 40 years without ever encountering any attitude that it was some kind of religion.

Ditto. (although I'm only just getting close to 40 years....!!)

K

Kirk

The Post Office had licences for sale,

But for me it did not avail.

The AMS was too strong,

and the kits still seem wrong.

Yet another modelling FAIL!

:weep:

I set out to model a car

But (impatient) I hadn't got far

When I realise a rim

Was a micron too thin

So I trashed it and went to the bar

:D

(The licence turns out to have been worth every penny!)

:lol: very good!

A fellow modeller named Kirk

Has a rather singular quirk

Of writing in rhyme

So no longer has time

On his unfinished Harrier to work.

Rather pails in comparison and jolly poor but the best I can do.

What is the status of the Harrier please Kirk?

Total agree, its want the modeler whats it to be,ships are a mine field, never two were the same and over a 25 yrs its would be a nightmare to get perfect.just to give an example,their were 8 Scorpions cvr in my troop ,not one was the same.

Talking of which....the vast majority of Railway Modellers in the UK apply shed-loads of artistic licence. Whether its the OO gauge track (at 1:76th the back-to-back track width should be 18.83mm, whereas OO gauge track is 16.5mm) , the couplings (most -older anyway- real loco's and rolling stock have a chain link arrangement - whereas commercial ready-to-run models have a hook!), the scenery, signals that are too thick, passengers that don't move, steam trains - with NO STEAM!!! You can't get much more "artistic licence" than that!!

Its no different in anything anyone does here.....panel lines, colours, thick canopy's, over thick undercarriage units - I suspect that if some of the latter were to scale then few models would keep upright for long. Very few modeller's are able to build anything without applying some form of "artistic license", no matter who much, or how little skills you may have.

Its interesting reading through this thread. Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are a few of you on here blaming us "rivet counters" for something? If you're a rivet counter then you can't apply artistic license?

Take a look at any "over weathered, over pre-shaded, over post shaded, panel filled with ink model" you're ever likely to see! Why is that any different to a kit built OOB painted in lurid Green/purple with yellow spots? Both are as valid as each other - in their own way - both have "artistic licence" applied.

And I feel obliged to ask: why does "accuracy" seem to be such a dirty word with some of you on this forum occassionally? Why does anyone assume that aiming for accuracy is not "fun"? That "research" is taboo? You'll be coming round burning our books soon!! Why does anyone assume that fun is the preserve of "kit-builders" only and not "Rivet Counters"? I AIM for accuracy. I AIM to get my model's as correct as I can, I HOPE that my next model will be better than the last (in reality they never are). All of these ambitions are subject to the limitations of scale and my abilities. I actually enjoy the research element, particularly learning something new, looking at photo's. If that makes me an "accurist, "rivet counter" , a "modelling numpty", then so be it . Joyless - I ain't!!!

Strange days..........

Rant Mode OFF!!!!

I was using "rivet counter" as a term of worship (not 'warship', note). I think your models are splendid Bill, precisely because of your attention to detail. It doesn't trouble me too much that your Harrier struts don't have working dampers. :)

Without rivet counters we'd still all just be squeezing plasticine.

(Apologies Walrus - it's not in verse; as much as I dream, I can't find a rhyme for 'plasticine'.)

I was using "rivet counter" as a term of worship (not 'warship', note). I think your models are splendid Bill, precisely because of your attention to detail. It doesn't trouble me too much that your Harrier struts don't have working dampers. :)

Without rivet counters we'd still all just be squeezing plasticine.

(Apologies Walrus - it's not in verse; as much as I dream, I can't find a rhyme for 'plasticine'.)

No, it wasn't your post Kirk!! I'll let you into a secret....the wind-vanes on my Harriers are solid!! The vane doesn't rotate!!! Ssshhhh! I'll be accused of not taking my hobby seriously, or having fun!

You might try something like..."modelling scene - plasticine?????" Now thats poetic licence..................

Disappointed Kirk ;)

I agree with what you said though. I think it is partly, at the very least, an issue temperament.

Am envious of those like Bill that know what they are doing. Or at least have the ability to baffle us with science! :P

But my image of you has been irrepairably damage Bill. :lol:

"To make the vane work was in vain."

Said Bill, "It drove me insane!

To make it swing round

Drove me into the ground

So I glued a solid vane onto my plane."

Edited by walrus

....the wind-vanes on my Harriers are solid!! The vane doesn't rotate!!!

Believe me Bill, they were like that sometimes on the real thing - especially after the painters had finished slathering paint everywhere !!

DR

A man with a model Spitfire,

thought the sit ought to be a bit higher,

He enquired on the 'net

Causing Edgar to fret

About the valve on the tailwheel tyre.

with apologies to Mr Brookes of course :)

Jonners

That's a great bit of rhyming there Jon.

Have you held your poet's licence for long?

Is it used when you glue

And clip parts from the sprue

Or is verse while you work simply wrong?

Disappointed Kirk ;)

I agree with what you said though. I think it is partly, at the very least, an issue temperament.

Am envious of those like Bill that know what they are doing. Or at least have the ability to baffle us with science! :P

But my image of you has been irrepairably damage Bill. :lol:

"To make the vane work was in vain."

Said Bill, "It drove me insane!

To make it swing round

Drove me into the ground

So I glued a solid vane onto my plane."

lol!

I've been accused of many things! But knowing what I'm doing is a new one!!!

(I've also left the vanes off on some Harrier's - or when broken not re-applied them.....)

"A vane came off one day

Much to this modellers dismay

To re-apply I didn't bother

This Harrier aint gonna Hovver

Its only there as a toy with to play

(best I could do at short notice!!!!!)

Believe me Bill, they were like that sometimes on the real thing - especially after the painters had finished slathering paint everywhere !!

DR

That doesn't surprise me Dennis!!!

i have no problem with rivit counters, i love models of hight detail i love to go to the trouble to get the best i can, somtimes im not botherd i just want a good representation. obviously we all or mostly strive to do the best we can but for me its not a matter of which is best, its just good to remember that this hobby is a personal thing, i think why some people are using the word rivit counters in a distingusing manner is many people have not got the time or skills to do such feats and it seems daunting, however in the model railway world rivit counters can be seen as misserable ungrateful sods by some, for example when hornby released thier class 50s the early br blue livery one had the namplate positioned a scale few mm out or something and people moaned with all praise for what is a fantastic model being ignored for such reasons as that, whilst others were satisfied, but then you can see were there coming from, if you got the oportunity to get it right in the first place then get it right. its all down to taste. i like the idea of models that are high detail that you just sit and look at in case a little fragile bit breaks off and think my god that looks real wow, and the same time i like to have a model that looks great but is missing the little tiny bits that i can pick up enjoy and look at from differnt angles and admire and hand it to someone to look at without them saying a few seconds later, opps im sorry that bit just fell off in my hands, saves your blood pressure, especially when you get a bit peed off and someone says oh well its only a toy you can buy another and your thinking , a toy, i spent hours of my life doing that . any of you ever had that happen.

i can remember one of my first respray model trains i had done, proud i was it looked a peach then i passed it to my grandad who had just been reading the paper, he passed back my model i had just painted and all over it was ink marks from the paper and i coulndt get it off. so that had to be redone. great.

i have respect for anyone who does this hobby whatever skill level and i have respect for those who do their own thing and have fun.

Scale colour?

Basically................as the intensity of colour diminishes as distance is increased, then the same should follow with models. Models being smaller represent this distance between the viewer and ths subject. To achieve this effect paints can be lightened, with a dot or two of pale grey or white.

And no - I don't!

I use Xtracrylic from the bottle!!