Do you ever use poetic licence

Ronnie

I'm using it more and more and guess what?

I actually manage to finish something, good innit.

I'd rather have something a bit fudged than agonize over every detail then turn into a sad git

whinging on electric interweb sites about how fracked up every kit is an unbuildable and you''ll go

to hell for even opening the box.

man-vegetables to that!

Poetic licence is the way I model. If I was painting, I'd be an impressionist - it looks like what I started out to make, but cockpits and the like give an impression of what it should be, not deadly accurate with every dial & switch. It won't win me any prizes, but I model for fun, not competition.

POETIC(?) Licence...about half as much as ARTISTIC(!!) licence...and yes , I sometimes apply the latter , but never the former...

Poetic License

n.

The liberty taken by an artist or a writer in deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect.

Artistic License

n.

Refers most commonly to the original Artistic License (version 1.0), a software license used for certain free and open source software packages, most notably the standard Perl implementation and most CPAN modules, which are dual-licensed under the Artistic License and the GNU General Public License (GPL). The original Artistic License was written by Larry Wall. The name of the license is a reference to the concept of artistic license.

:smartass:

:bleh:

'ere! That sounds like fun! Are we going to see pictures?

As soon as I get it done.

However, right now I am working two jobs to make ends meet after the recession knocked me for a loop.

P.S. I am working on my outdoor G gauge model railroad at the moment, time permitting. G gauge track is 1.75 inches between the rails (39mm). This is about the correct gauge for 1/32 full scale model trains (Marklin #1 scale). In the USA, however, we also run a few other scales on the same track, which is why we call it G gauge, and not G scale. We run 1:29, 1:24, 1:22.5 (LGB trains) and more recently 1:20.3. A new one is now 1:17.something, using 1:18 tanks and cars on the layout. Many of these layouts are out of doors. In England they call it Garden Scale. But the reason I brought this up is that we have this wonderful rule in the local G gauge club. it is called the "Three Foot Rule". "If it looks good from three feet away then it is accurate and in scale". All in all we are a happy group of modelers.

Yes, my layout will have 1/32 scale aircraft flying about, hanging from the trees over the track. And there will be a scrap yard on the layout, "Happy Achmed's Used Aeroplanes and Parts:". This is where I will place all those silly little parts that came with the kits but I do not include on the models.

It is a hobby, enjoy!

Stephen

Edited by ssculptor

Poetic License

n.

The liberty taken by an artist or a writer in deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect.

Artistic License

n.

Refers most commonly to the original Artistic License (version 1.0), a software license used for certain free and open source software packages, most notably the standard Perl implementation and most CPAN modules, which are dual-licensed under the Artistic License and the GNU General Public License (GPL). The original Artistic License was written by Larry Wall. The name of the license is a reference to the concept of artistic license.

"Artistic license (also known as dramatic license, historical license, poetic license, narrative license, licentia poetica, or simply license) is a colloquial term, sometime euphemism, used to denote the distortion of fact, alteration of the conventions of grammar or language, or rewording of pre-existing text made by an artist to improve a piece of art. An example of artistic license is if a visual artist decided it was more artistically desirable to portray St. Paul's Cathedral next to the Houses of Parliament in a scene of London even though in reality they are not close together."

So :bleh: yerself!!!!

In answer to the question of the thread...every time I open a kit.

Like many other answers posted here, I model for my own enjoyment and cannot get too obsessive about the finish and accuracy. I will often use decals to hand rather than chase after-market sheets - my AD-4W Skyraider (as an example - it's not the only one) has a fictitious squadron marking because the original decals were so crap and there were no other options on the market. I know the marking is wrong but it LOOKS right and only a USN expert would likely get worked up about it - but as it looks right, it IS right in my eyes.

Life is too short to over-fuss about these things.

Andy

Here's a couple of instances of poetic licence for you....

Messerschmitt Bf109W of the Royal Amphibious Force of Monaco 1951

HPIM0906.jpg

Lockheed Starfighter of the 'Defence of the Reich Memorial Flight'

IMG_0551.jpg

They do attract a lot of attention and were great fun to make and show.

So where do you get this Poetic Licence and how much does it cost?

Can you get it from the Post Office?

When we build our own model airplanes we are not sacrificing accuracy, we are creating our own accuracy.

All of us have built a model just as it came out of the box. What we were doing when we did this was copying, in a smaller scale, what people have created and built in the reality of the past.

However, what we do when we create our own reality is just that, creating something, rather than imitating what has been done before us.

Now, before some guys jump all over us for violating the sacred rules of the "religion" of IPMS, let me say that this hobby is big enough for all of us.

The hobby is big enough for those of us who want to miniaturize the reality that existed before us, down to the finest detail.

The hobby is also big enough for those of us who would rather create our own reality.

Also in this hobby are those of us who just like to assemble a kit right out of the box, just for the fun of it.

There is NO one right way to build models, period.

I have spoken, forsooth. :hobbyhorse:

Stephen

Well said, Sir Stephen..! :analintruder:

Cheers,

ggc

Poetic License

n.

Artistic License

n.

"Artistic license (also known as dramatic license, historical license, poetic license, narrative license, licentia poetica, or simply license) is a colloquial term, sometime euphemism, used to denote the distortion of fact, alteration of the conventions of grammar or language, or rewording of pre-existing text made by an artist to improve a piece of art. An example of artistic license is if a visual artist decided it was more artistically desirable to portray St. Paul's Cathedral next to the Houses of Parliament in a scene of London even though in reality they are not close together."

So :bleh: yerself!!!!

Errrrr........................................pardon?? :hypnotised:

When we build our own model airplanes we are not sacrificing accuracy, we are creating our own accuracy.

All of us have built a model just as it came out of the box. What we were doing when we did this was copying, in a smaller scale, what people have created and built in the reality of the past.

However, what we do when we create our own reality is just that, creating something, rather than imitating what has been done before us.

Now, before some guys jump all over us for violating the sacred rules of the "religion" of IPMS, let me say that this hobby is big enough for all of us.

The hobby is big enough for those of us who want to miniaturize the reality that existed before us, down to the finest detail.

The hobby is also big enough for those of us who would rather create our own reality.

Also in this hobby are those of us who just like to assemble a kit right out of the box, just for the fun of it.

There is NO one right way to build models, period.

I have spoken, forsooth. :hobbyhorse:

Stephen

I could not agree more stephen, i do love acurate models i do like things to be as they are, but i do like imaginations, fun and on my own models i definatly use modellers licence. i tend to leave off breaky off bits as im not fussed about them and my models get moved about alot so i dont want them to be to fragile, i do like the idea of what if builds ive just joined the new one and im very excited about that as its the first group build to date ive joined on this wonderdfull forum,

i like to experiment with shades of paint and use what looks right to my eyes etc, i do worry about being shot down by a rivit counter i do have a very keen eye for detail but until i move out i dont think ill build many models with al the little bits on and stuff like that, maybe as long as i have fun adn everyone else here has fun thats all that matters whatever age ability were all on the same side to the end britmodellers together.

I've just built a couple of Hasegawa egg planes (F/A-18 and F-4) which have got to be the ultimate in artistic licence - great little kits for a fun build and the wife loves them!

Result!

Andy

I only wanted to know where to get a licence Stephen :banghead::weep:

Oh, I'm sorry. I missed the point entirely.

Why, you go to the same licensing bureau that they had on the Monty Python TV show.

You can even get a license for your pet fish, or pet bee.

Stephen

All modelling incorporates appling a level of "imagination licence" - call that what you want. From the novice kit builder to the anorak rivet counter - each will HAVE to apply some level.

Some may pre-shade or post shade or re-scribe to achieve a desired effect, others will paint it any colour they have because they can. Its everyones hobby. Its each individual's right to build as he or she wishes and to apply whatever levels of skill, imagination or whatever they have or haven't got.........

All modelling incorporates appling a level of "imagination licence" - call that what you want. From the novice kit builder to the anorak rivet counter - each will HAVE to apply some level.

Some may pre-shade or post shade or re-scribe to achieve a desired effect, others will paint it any colour they have because they can. Its everyones hobby. Its each individual's right to build as he or she wishes and to apply whatever levels of skill, imagination or whatever they have or haven't got.........

Well said !

All the time. The last one I finished is a 1/48 Italeri Eurofighter. I used Poundland/Halfords primers as the top coat. It's probably not the 'right' colour grey at all, but it's grey and to my eyes it looks like a Eurofighter, and rattle cans give me personally a much better finish than a brush.

I enjoyed building it and thats what it's all about. If it's not an accurate colour I don't especially care too much, for me the enjoyment is in the process.

Edited by khimbar

I've wanted to do a Spitfire as one of those "formation bomber planes", you know in overall yellow with red spots everywhere. It WILL HAPPEN someday once I've run out of the aftermarket decals that I've got spilling out of the decal chest to make yet another "actual prototype Spitfire" in boring green/grey/blue.

Grey, green & blue?? What actual prototype Spitfire are those colours accurate for then.....??!! :P:winkgrin:

K

So where do you get this Poetic Licence and how much does it cost?

Can you get it from the Post Office?

I bought one of those just today

And a very keen price I did pay

But my model's still boxed

Inspiration is lost

And now I don't know what to say

208 Sqn Spitfire IXs in Palestine during 1945. Linky :tease:

Excellent!! I knew someone would do my research for me....!!! :D

I also read a discussion somewhere that using an exact match of paint colours would look too dark, scaled down to model size. Can anyone confirm this?

Oh no, not another 'discussion' on 'scale colour' about to start.....!! :lol:

K

I try and go for as accurate as my abilities can manage, and the scale of model allows.

If Im adding detail into a cockpit for example I will try and replicate the orginal as far as I can, with an allowance for the fact that some items really dont scale down to much more than little blobs in 1/48th scale, so it may be necessary to make them a bit bigger to add some impact.

But the main thing is, its your model so do as you please.

cheers

Jonners