1:24 scale Hawker Hurricane

This is up there with the Huey build as one of the legends. Fantastic work My hat goes off to you.

Wow that is nice of you to say, I have watch Oliver build and he does it in 1:35 scale!!

Regards

Richard

Amazing!

Thanks Sean, slow going but getting there.

Regards

Richard

Now, this is modelling !!!

Nothing less than inspired. Well done.

Thank youvery much Chaddy.

Regards

Richard

I can only echo all the other comments made thus far, absolutely amazing work!

I would ask one question though, albeit tongue firmly in cheek, wasn't the kit a bit of a waste of money?

Please keep posting pictures.

All the very best.

Derek

I was going to start scale modeling again, but now I don't think I'll bother... i'll just watch this superb build. Stunning.

I can only echo all the other comments made thus far, absolutely amazing work!

I would ask one question though, albeit tongue firmly in cheek, wasn't the kit a bit of a waste of money?

Please keep posting pictures.

All the very best.

Derek

Hi Derek, did not intend to go this far, just has compound, but the kit was worth buying. Thanks very much for your comment.

Regards

Richard

I was going to start scale modeling again, but now I don't think I'll bother... i'll just watch this superb build. Stunning.

Hi Jeff, dont let my build stop you getting back into modeling, I find it very relaxing and I thank you for watching.

Regards

Richard

My goodness! You are a real modelmaker (while I am an assembler of models), hats off to you for this fine work.

Hi Dan thanks for your kind words.

Regards

Richard

I'm really lost for words so,....... :gobsmacked: :gobsmacked:

Si.

Hi Si, well looking at your build I'am also lost for words, but thanks again for looking in.

Regards

Richard

Your brass work, tube cutting etc is so neat & tidy, can I ask you what sort of tools you use for such fine work? This is such craftsmanship to watch unfold, more please.

Mac

Hi Mac, I have attached some pictures of what tools I use, got some hand tools from my Grandma who was a jeweller and rest I have collected.

This is shear/brake which I can cut .003" shim with no roll over

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

Next picture is what I use to cut tube

IMG_1186.jpg

I had been working on wooden ships, but having a break and I bought this Turbo carver so I was at the dentist and I asked if he had any small drill bits which he did not use, so he said yes he has and he gave them to me, this small tool has 400,000 rpm, so I use it to file the brass shim, works realy well.

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

Then last picture is all the books I have collected on the Hurri

IMG_1190.jpg

Hope this helps,

Regards

Richard

Finished of all the spar part of the tailplane and have glued them to the brackets I made, still have some brackets to fit in but that will be for the next post.

IMG_5140.jpg

IMG_5141.jpg

IMG_5142.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

Until next time.

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

very stunning the view of the complete Hurricane compared to the kit fuselage. I confirm, great work, I follow you

Ezio

Thank you Ezio,

Saw that I put to of the same picture opps, here is the one I should have put.

IMG_5145.jpg

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

Your Hurricane looks more amazing everytime I see it.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Hi FZ6, not sure what your name is?? but thanks again for your kinf words.

Regards

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Been plugging away at the tailplane, and I was wondering how I would replicate the round metal leading edge, so I have been watching Nobby build his model and he showed how he did his canopy using a heat gun. So Nobby I have learnt how to do it thanks.

I made a shape as per the drawings I have put it in the vise, made a small holding block just I bit bigger than the shape, CA the plastic to the holding block heated up and pushed it down on the shape, tried .005" plastic to thin, same as .010", tried .020" which was to thick and then got what I wanted with 015".

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5148.jpg

IMG_5149.jpg

IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

More to follow,

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

So now I have finished off the main structure of the tailplane, made all the brackets to mount to the main frame, added the holes so that the wire will go to elevators and elevator trim flaps, and then bent some .003" for the fairing strips which go on the main spares for elevator.

Now I can start making the ribs etc etc.

IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5153.jpg

IMG_5154.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

IMG_5156.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Regards

Richard

• Like 2