1:24 scale Hawker Hurricane

I have been working on my Hurricane for the last 8 months and have being posting WIP on another site, thought you might like to see what I have done here.

Started with a Trumpeter 1:24 scale Hurricane and have done a lot of scratch building.

First off I noticed the engine was not a Merlin XX so I added quite a bit of detail to make it some what like it should. I know the shape is still not right.

waZwf3.jpg

hf50jJ.jpg

wTO5PN.jpg

NZZFCQ.jpg

This is what it turned out to be

UyFlWb.jpg

xxTBlx.jpg

Nt5DSg.jpg

Then I changed the frame work on the engine mount

FzI5Oi.jpg

4cPvVE.jpg

Y7D2Ew.jpg

hrYAqG.jpg

FzI5Oi.jpg

Made the whole rear frame and rear strut

AHFilc.jpg

A8mIAR.jpg

UPlYzu.jpg

uV93nA.jpg

Added the channels for the canopy

l1qCD4.jpg

FSaLfv.jpg

More pictures to come later, hope you enjoy

Regards

Richard

• Like 3

:gobsmacked: ok..now that is impressive, i simply love the rear framework you have built, and the new engine mount and fixed engine, incredible stuff, can understand why it has taken you neigh on 8 months to get this far....but still...that rear frame work...incredible.

Moofles said:
:gobsmacked: ok..now that is impressive, i simply love the rear framework you have built, and the new engine mount and fixed engine, incredible stuff, can understand why it has taken you neigh on 8 months to get this far....but still...that rear frame work...incredible.

Thanks for your comment Moofles,

Should have said work on the Hurri on and off for the last 8 months,

I am going to make one a mould of side of the fuse and then pour clear resin so that everything will been shown, so I have started to make all the internals.

pNjSTL.jpg

x5XyP3.jpg

Fog2PT.jpg

UwMvuN.jpg

4lCNCX.jpg

tHe8ab.jpg

WceQZl.jpg

zFxOEs.jpg

faQh3e.jpg

VnUiMZ.jpg

N2gTyc.jpg

So now I am making the shelves for the Radio TR1133, IFF, master contactor and impact switch etc

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

Richard,

You're actually building 2 models right? One complete aircraft with the kit parts and one de-skinned under construction and/or restoration to show off that AMAZING work right?!? You can't hid that fantastic attention to detail inside a complete model! Beautiful attention to how the components themselves are constructed. Truly a masterpiece, sir!

I have always held a special attraction for the Hurricane, feeling it rarely gets the acknowledgement it deserves. You are rectifying that historical oversight magnificently.

Eric aka Yankymodeler

I follow your building not to do some work in my releases, but the just to the pleasure to follow an excellent work.

Keep on publishing. :thumbsup:

Manuel

Hi manuel, thanks for your comment I will keep posting.

Regards

Richard

jacksdad64 said:
That is quite magnificent. So, obviously a labour of love.

This promses to be the best model Hurricane I've evr seen.

Steve

Thanks a lot for your kind words, did not intend to go this way but I bought a load of books and then I started adding this then that and now I will just add what I see, have bought some drawings from a guy in New Zealand which I used for the fuse, now just bought 470 drawings from Warbirds Restoration in England

9AyTPh.jpg

xCpZc8.jpg

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

Richard,

You're actually building 2 models right? One complete aircraft with the kit parts and one de-skinned under construction and/or restoration to show off that AMAZING work right?!? You can't hid that fantastic attention to detail inside a complete model! Beautiful attention to how the components themselves are constructed. Truly a masterpiece, sir!

I have always held a special attraction for the Hurricane, feeling it rarely gets the acknowledgement it deserves. You are rectifying that historical oversight magnificently.

Eric aka Yankymodeler

Hi Eric, Thank you for your kind words.

I was just going to have the cut outs were the panels go, but a gentleman on the other site said the same thing as you so what I intend to do is where the fabric goes on one side of the fuse I will make a mould inside and out, I have bought some clear resin and then make this part so it will been seen. I will then use the remaining front part of the fuse with the engine compartment open where the panels go.

Regards

Richard

Thanks for all the kind words guys just a few more pictures,

Jxvs2T.jpg

63g5O0.jpg

hNibwK.jpg

tqJXPc.jpg

3CG6IK.jpg

zXBovt.jpg

qFZHov.jpg

RMFry4.jpg

6PeV1m.jpg

cwz8ev.jpg

jwXjbR.jpg

spz5Rl.jpg

Until the next post

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

How do you make everything out of brass so well? What gauge thickness is it, and what tools?! I've got some bits to do on a 1/12th Porsche kit soon.. any advise would be superb!

Keep it up, will check back.. Love the work so far. :)

• 2 weeks later...
How do you make everything out of brass so well? What gauge thickness is it, and what tools?! I've got some bits to do on a 1/12th Porsche kit soon.. any advise would be superb!

Keep it up, will check back.. Love the work so far. :)

Hi Hi Radleigh,

Sorry its taken me a while to reply to you, I use micro tubing which you can buy on line or at any model shop, also .005"/.010" brass sheet which I cut with and small shear and knife, I bought the shear from Micro Mark from the USA. Also I have a Sherline model lathe and Sherline model milling machine. So with these tools I can make near enough make anything I want. I use jewelers hand tols to hold bend etc and alot of very small files. Hope that helps you a bit.

Regards

Richard

Just a small update to my build, I bought 470 drawings from Warbirds resoration and received them last week and what a help they were, so I have started to add some linkage rods from the control stick to the elevator lever. Now I have alot of drawings with dimension I had to change some items I had already made from pictures, so now they are made to the right scale. Also have added the angle which will hold the plywood then the radio gear.

BbOVRy.jpg

revKdE.jpg

LfCqRe.jpg

GOiINr.jpg

5i0qlK.jpg

In these picture below I will make what I see, the only items I do not have dimensions for, if anyone has some it would really help me.

ZrMWoC.jpg

0r4Mxe.jpg

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

Stunning work Richard. At this rate you could scratch-build the entire machine and hardly use any kit parts. Will you also create a wing section as well?

Absolutely Stunning Work! Your eye for detail is outstanding. A true labour of love quite simply turning in to a work of art.

My Hats Off to You Sir! Long may your fantastic work continue!

Your Hurricane is some of the best modelling i have ever witnessed.

Thank You for Sharing. :)