Thinning enamels with cellulose thinners

CliffB

Evening all

I normally spray acrylics, but tomorrow was hoping to spray some Humbrol enamel. Just noticed though that I've got no enamel thinners left.

All I've got that's potentially suitable is some cheapo domestic white spirit or some cellulose thinners.

Can anyone advise please on the better option (if either)?

Many thanks

Cliff

In theory, both are ok to use with enamels. I'd definitely go with cellulose thinner though. I use it for thinning my enamels all the time, it's my standard type thinner. I haven't used white spirit for airbrushung, but have read about people using it successfully, however I'd expect quite a long drying time, longer than "proper" enamel thinner and considerably longer than cellulose thinner. The advantage of cellulose thinner's quick evaporation time is also its drawback as it tends to dry up at the needle tip (and block the paintflow) more easily than other, less hot thinners. That's why I mix in the paint brand's own enamel thinner first when doing fine detail work and then "top it up" with a dash of cellulose thinner. For very thin and fine stuff (post shading, exhaust stains etc.) I go with enamel thinner exclusively.

Also, you have to use up your paint-cellulose thinner mix in one go as, depending on the brand of paint you're using, the mix starts to split and lump up after 30min to 1h.

Hope this helps...

J

Edited by JeffreyK
  • Like 1

Thank you Bjarne

I guess I should experiment first, before committing paint to my pristine 'masterpiece' (although on second thoughts, why change the habit of a lifetime?!).

Thanks again to all

Cliff

For enamels... i always use white spirit for thinning, airbrushing, brushing, cleaning. never had any problems. The part about taking long to dry is not true. Some dry after a few mins, some take longer. depends on the paint and if its gloss or matt...

I just took a look at the chart. It is marked down that white spirit is not compatible with revell color. rubbish! ive been using WS for ever! all its columns are with X's. hows that possible. Also it marked down 'revell color (laquer)' It is enamel not laquer :S :S

In theory, both are ok to use with enamels. I'd definitely go with cellulose thinner though. I use it for thinning my enamels all the time, it's my standard type thinner. I haven't used white spirit for airbrushung, but have read about people using it successfully, however I'd expect quite a long drying time, longer than "proper" enamel thinner and considerably longer than cellulose thinner. The advantage of cellulose thinner's quick evaporation time is also its drawback as it tends to dry up at the needle tip (and block the paintflow) more easily than other, less hot thinners. That's why I mix in the paint brand's own enamel thinner first when doing fine detail work and then "top it up" with a dash of cellulose thinner. For very thin and fine stuff (post shading, exhaust stains etc.) I go with enamel thinner exclusively.

Also, you have to use up your paint-cellulose thinner mix in one go as, depending on the brand of paint you're using, the mix starts to split and lump up after 30min to 1h.

Hope this helps...

J

The above mentioned mixture of white spirit based thinners and cellulose thinners would fit in with a recommendation made to me many years ago. The supposed advantage was that paint would go through the airbrush thin, but go onto the model more thickly but still thinned by the white spirit as the cellulose flashed off at the tip.

Joseph

FWIW, I called Humbrol some years ago and was told the enamel thinners have to meet certain regulations to be able to be sold on the 'toy & games market'. The tech chap their suggested White Spirit would be better - more aromatic compounds than in enamel thinners.

Cellulose is great if you want a quick drying finish. Works well with matt paints - you do get a consistent matt. For a gloss paint, I'd suggest white spirit as the better option. Maybe a little drop of cellulose in it just to give it some 'etch' capability.

HTH,

Jonathan

Cellulose thinners work extremely well with acrylics too! Especially Gunze - give it a try!

Dave

I wouldn't try it with 'water' based acrylics though - makes an 'ell of a mess. Ask me how I know..... :whistle::D

K

I have been airbrushing using Halfords Cellulose thinners with Humbrol Enamels since 2003 with no issues. I still use Halfords White Spirits or Humbrols Enamel Thinners if I am hand brushing. Last year I finally plucked up the courage to test using Cellulose with Tamiya Acrylic White with great results, but Alclad then released their White and Black Primers, negating having to use the more expensive Tamiya.

To date I have not used Cellulose with any other Acrylics, but may have an experiment with Humbrols' acrylics when the mojo has been recovered.

Also used the Cellulose with Model Masters Enamels which also worked great for me.

I tend to spray with a 70/30 thinners/paint mix.

HTH

To date I have not used Cellulose with any other Acrylics, but may have an experiment with Humbrols' acrylics when the mojo has been recovered.

I wouldn't bother, they're water based!

Tamiya & Gunze (non 'aqua' range, can't remember what they've changed the names too) are what the makers apparently term acrylic laquers - which is why cellulose works well with them - water based acrylics like Humbrol, lifecolor, Vallejo etc just turn into a sticky, gooey mess when you mix cellulose with them. I also find that Gunze & Tamiya work equally as well, if not better with isopropyl alchohol.

K

Isopropyl is great with Tamiya acrylics...their thinner is basically a mix of water and alcohol anyway.

I mix to no specific ratio, but when the mix clings to the side of the glass mixing jar like milk, then it's about right...semi skimmed I think is probably the best :)