Micro Harrier

mikeew

This is the latest beastie on my workbench, Brand new from Revell, a snip at £2.99 from Telford.

RV4017.JPG

Sprue shot....

sprueshot001.jpg

Some lovely fine details including great sidewinder missiles...

sprueshot002.jpg

sprueshot004.jpg

sprueshot003.jpg

Also thanks to Desmojen for donating 2 x LGB and 6 x Brimstone and ejector racks from her Dragon kit(s)

Main building done.

No real surprises, good fit all round.

I drilled out the aux. intake doors as the moulding was there and eased it somewhat. I slapped some Citadel Skull White in the intakes and then painted the fan blades gun metal followed by a silver dry brush and smoke wash. All of which is academic as little or nthing can be seen. Plus I have made the job of masking harder for myself. I'll probaly pop some foam packing into the intakes to blank them off as well as the aux doors to facilitate painting. Seat straps are way over scale, but better than nowt under the big bubble canopy that is remarkably clear.

sprueshot007.jpg

sprueshot006.jpg

sprueshot005.jpg

All masked up and ready for paint. all pylons attached too. The sidewinder rails in the middle of the wings are in the kit but not on the instructions

They were in the instructions as the outer pylons, but no way would they fit, so i swapped them round and they fit perfectly now.

I stuffed wet kitchen towel into the intakes to mask them for painting. I was going to use sponge , but couldn't find any of the right density. The canopy fitted a treat! fixed it with Evo-Stik Serious Glue.

WIP-1.jpg

One small point (Hopefully before it's too late!) - The RAF Harriers don't have the extended intake on the ventral fin (aaded on USMC aircraft which had the topside flare/chaff packs).

It's a nice little kit, haven't got the RAF version but I have a couple of the US moulding

Chers Guys.

Karl, The Serious Glue is good, but just use it ever so sparingly, spread it on with a cocktail stick. It works in the same way as Evo-Stik Contact adhesive. Its tacky almost imediately, but when pushed together, it squishes out and forms a good bond. Its much stronger than PVA or Kristal Kleer from Microscale. It can be smeared in aong the joint with a wet finger just like PVA too. It dries REALLY clear and shiny which is always a bonus and also takes paint well.

Dave, the ventral fin intake you refer too, can you be more specific? with a piccie maybe?

Not gonna get to painting til after weekend, so hopefully should be able to modify it before i spray.TIA

Cheers Dave.

I have modified it, not too difficult. :thumbsup2:

Markings in the kit are for

GR.7 - ZD407, 20sqn, 2005.

GR.7 - ZD404, Op. Herrick, Kandahar Nov.2006 my chosen option

Edited by mikeew

Mike,

Im looking forwards to seeing this one finished, Ive only got one 1/144 model and thats a 707, thats as small as I dare go. Looking very good so far.

Bex

• 2 weeks later...

Right then, Paint is done.

I used Xtracrylix Dark Sea Grey on the top over Dark Camo Grey on the undersides.

Well, in a fashion :whistle: I mixed the colours up and first off sprayed the undersides with DSG, then had to respray the whole lot DCG and the add the DSG in the correct area on the upper surfaces after careful masking of the tail and lower surfaces.

After removal of the intake masks, it looks to have worked quite well!

I used Klear in the places needed for decalling, and got them all on, A LOT of stencils for such a small model, but then it needs it, being a grey jet. Looks abit drab otherwise.

I have the undercarriage on and just waiting for it to dry out. Then I can matt varnish it and get the stores on. The LGB's are painted in olive green and the Brimstones in NATO black. The AIM9's are painted in matt white with gunmetal tips, and the decals are applied to them in the form of striping.

Juts need to paint the TIALD and the Brimstone racks. Then I can get on with some weathering. I also sprayed the exhaust nozzles in Humbrol Polished Steel which worked well. I need to paint the heat shields behind the rear nozzles in the same fashion.

WIP003-2.jpg

WIP004-2.jpg

WIP005-1.jpg

WIP006.jpg

Edited by mikeew