• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Ian

Ian

"I've got a plan...."

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

Got to cut some plastic on my Boston this morning, but thought I'd quickly post-up a pic of my references:

Posted Image

Started the masking last night, and thanks to Eduard got it all finished in 90mins.

Posted Image

Sprayed the interior just before we went on hols, so this morning had a couple of hours and did this !!

Posted Image

And here she goes on a low-level raid across my workbench - all taped-up for the camera !

Posted Image

As ever I'll post-up the pics as and when, but I'm comitted to the Phantom STGB aswell so progress will be patchy. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Ian

Edited by Ian, 26 August 2011 - 08:36 PM.

#2 AndyC

AndyC

Barely adequate in all ways since 1962

• Gold Member
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

Ha! I wish I'd gone the Eduard mask route when I did mine last year - took me bloody ages with scalpel and Tamiya tape to do all those glass panes!

Andy

#3 CliffB

CliffB

Fillermeister

• Gold Member
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:14 AM

Hi Ian

Just catching up with developments on the GB - welcome aboard :welcome:

Cliff

#4 per ardua ad ostentationem

per ardua ad ostentationem

1/48 is my scale. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• Gold Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:01 AM

Masking the canopies first! What a brilliant idea, get the boring jobs out of the way right at the start! I know what I'll be doing tonight then! Thanks for the idea.

#5 Ian

Ian

"I've got a plan...."

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:46 AM

Got a couple of hours yesterday to do this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you you can see the nose section needed a fair degree of filling and blending. Another big problem is the sheer amount of flash, especially on some of the smaller parts, enough to make some of them unrecognisable. As for 'nose weight', do you think six grub screws should be enough ??

Posted Image

AFN, thanks for taking the time to look.

Ian

#6 Ian

Ian

"I've got a plan...."

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:55 PM

And after another two-hour session this morning, it now looks like an aeroplane !

Posted Image

Posted Image

More filler needed around the glazing/front section join and a lot of blending needed at the base of the fin.... tomorrow, I'll spray 'green' around the transpearencies, and start on another project !

Ian

#7 Ian

Ian

"I've got a plan...."

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

Tamiya XF5 'Flat Green' sprayed:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nothing now till middle of next week. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Ian

Edited by Ian, 17 June 2011 - 01:52 PM.

#8 tonyot

tonyot

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

I`ve probably missed it somewhere but is this the 1/72nd Special Hobby kit or the old AMT 1/48th kit? Sorry if it is a daft question!! I`m building a Special Hobby 72nd scale Boston Mk.IV and have found the nose to be a very poor fit but your nose looks quite nice, so I`m wondering if they have altered the size of the parts for the older nose or whether I`ve made a cock up, thats if yours is the smaller scale kit too?
Cheers
Tony O

#9 Ian

Ian

"I've got a plan...."

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:04 AM

I`ve probably missed it somewhere but is this the 1/72nd Special Hobby kit or the old AMT 1/48th kit? Sorry
Tony O

Tony - It's the old AMT kit in the re-issued Italeri boxing, the nose section isn't too good, but responds well when threatened with Squadron 'White Stuff' and several sanding sticks !!

Ian

#10 Harvs73

Harvs73

Established Member

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:49 AM

I found the best way to fix the ill fitting nose was to glue the nose pieces to the respective fueslage half. This then leaves only a small seam down the centre rather than a larger seam in multiple places.

#11 F111Fan

F111Fan

Very good at non-accurate modelling

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:32 PM

Wow, rather you than me with all that glazing! Fantastic work so far :D

#12 Ian

Ian

"I've got a plan...."

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

Pre-Shading done on Friday last. Tamiya 'Tank Grey' overall and Flat Black for the hinge recesses on the ailerons, flaps etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next, I'll paint-up the engines and attach the cowls. Then back to the paint-shed on Friday for the first of the camouflage coats.

AFN

Ian

#13 Spazman

Spazman

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

Looks good Ian!

Nice to see a Boston being put together.

It's one of my favourites!

Ted

#14 per ardua ad ostentationem

• Gold Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing how the pre-shading works out. Never seen different shading colouts used before.

#15 CliffB

CliffB

Fillermeister

• Gold Member
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:33 AM

Just catching up with progress on the GB and this looks great Ian :thumbsup:

Cliff

#16 Ian

Ian

"I've got a plan...."

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:21 AM

Not worth posting any photos just yet, but sprayed a couple of light coats of Tamiya 'Sky' on the undersides yesterday. Will get it masked-off over the weekend and should be able to spray the Dk. Earth or Dk. Green in the middle of the week. Next pics will be the completed camouflage prior to the decalling.

AFN

Ian

#17 per ardua ad ostentationem

• Gold Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:21 AM

Not worth posting any photos just yet, but sprayed a couple of light coats of Tamiya 'Sky' on the undersides yesterday. Will get it masked-off over the weekend and should be able to spray the Dk. Earth or Dk. Green in the middle of the week. Next pics will be the completed camouflage prior to the decalling.

AFN

Ian

Good luck Ian, looking forward to the pictures.

#18 Deacon

Deacon

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

AFN

Ian

Now that's just nasty, leaving us in suspense like that. :D

Looking great so far AFN. :clap2:

Deacon

#19 Ian

Ian

"I've got a plan...."

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

Took a wee bit longer than I anticipated, but that is because I was very complacent about my masking, and scr*w*d-it-up almost totally. Anyhoos here it is done, some touching-up on the undersides needed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Because of my shift pattern I'll not be able to any more for a week or so. More pics then.

Ian

#20 CliffB

CliffB

Fillermeister

• Gold Member
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:21 AM

Nice to see this coming on so well Ian. The pre-shading is looking good.

Cheers

Cliff