RAF Tornado GR4 in 1/144

BigReg

OK here we go with the Revell Tornado. So we have the box shot,

pix3001.jpg

The Goffy accessory kit is for the cockpit and undercarriage bays

pix3003.jpg

The bays are brilliant as is the cockpit but how do I paint them??

pix3005.jpg

I started last night by chopping out the too shallow U/C bays

pix3011.jpg

This morning I gave a quick mist of halfords rattle can primer.

pix3012.jpg

With regard to markings I'm undecided between the 25 years Tornado from 9 squadron or the 2 squadron special or even a plain jane with Brimstones and Alarms. :confused:

Regards

David

Wow you're a brave man!

I got some of the retrowings intakes with dropped doors for s harrier never knew you could get all this resin for 1/144!! Where did you get it from?

Good luck I'll be watching this one!

Phil

Hi Phil,

The Goffy resin kit came from Hannants and you can now get etch for the Hunter and lots of other brass bit from Bren Gun at http://www.brengun.cz - They even do a boarding ladder for your Harrier!

Hi Tom,

I am using a pod taken from the f-toys Tornado for the FLIR. I have been in touch with Retrowings and sent them some infornmation and they will be adding the FLIR to their range.

Thanks for the encouragement!

David

I have painted the cockpit tub and given it a spray with gloss varnish. Last night I added the decals to the navigator's cockpit and here it is displyed on a 20p coin.

pix3019.jpg

Tomorrow I will do some work on the pilot's station, painting the floors and TV tabs and then start preparing the seats.

David

Last night I didn't get much time for modelling so I just added some detail to the pilots instrument panel - changing the head down display from round to square.

pix3026.jpg

I also mounted the head up display on the cockpit coaming.

pix3027.jpg

Tonight and over the wekend it's going to be detailling the U/C legs and bays and the seats.

Thanks for looking,

David

It really is a nice kit - don't be put off by me trying to push the envelope a bit - the only problem with the kit is that it has too much anhedral.

Anyway, more progress on the cockpit - I'm going to call this finished. So here it is being testfitted into the nose section - there is a little bit of fettling to do.

pix3036.jpg

The undercarriage bays are in - I intend to do a drybrush with white as the grey looks too dark in the pictures.

pix3037.jpg

The model will be posed with a towbar and access ladder (which I will scratchbuild). The towbar I bought at SMW last year.

pix3038.jpg

Just for a laugh :thumbsup: , here is part of my production line of mini Tornadoes in various stages of completion.

pix3028.jpg

Regards

David

Last night I got the airframe basically complete. As you can see I cut of the wing sweep mechanism so that I can paint the wings and fuselage seperately, The joints still need to cleaned up.

DSCF4745.jpg

The nosewheel leg has had the landing light fitted.

DSCF4748.jpg

The problem with these super macro shots is they make the gaps look ginormous!

The landing lights have already had the landing lights fitted - I use some jewels from John Lewis stuck on with gator glue.

DSCF4749.jpg

No work tonight as my niece is coming down fron 'Up North' and we have a date with a bottle of wine.

Regards

David

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update. Mrs Reg and I have just returned from 2 weeks in Southern Greece - how do folks model in hot climates? I took some wood to whittle away into a 1/144 scale Heyford - the PVA dries in no time and filler almost dries on contact!

Anyway back to the Tornado - I have painted the main airframe - the small scale and super macro over emphasise everything so it looks as if its been painted with pebbledash!

pix4001.jpg

I then masked off so the fin could be painted black ready for the 2 sqn markings. Not really showing up here is a bit of 'orange peal' that will need to be knocked back

pix4003.jpg

The ejection seats have been painted - they are seriously small and I could not do justice to the really fine detail.

pix4007.jpg

As I want to have the cockpit open I have started modifying an etched ladder to represent that used by the RAF.

pix4004.jpg

More soon,

Regards

David

Great work mate! I'm enjoying my foray into 1/32 with my Tonka but that is seriously WAY too small for me but you are doing an awesome job with it - can't wait to see how it looks when done

Andy

Great work mate! I'm enjoying my foray into 1/32 with my Tonka but that is seriously WAY too small for me but you are doing an awesome job with it - can't wait to see how it looks when done

Andy

Andy,

Thanks - maybe we could pop my Tornado on one of the pylons on yours! Do you live in Swindon and is Froud and Hext model shop still there?

Regards

David

Andy,

Thanks - maybe we could pop my Tornado on one of the pylons on yours! Do you live in Swindon and is Froud and Hext model shop still there?

Regards

David

Hi David

Yeah your Tonka on a wing pod would be awesome! I live near Swindon, Froud and Hext (where they were on Victoria Hill) have shut but reincarnated as Spot-On models right in the centre of town. It's a well-stocked little shop actually.

Andy

I made a bit more progress last night and hit a slight problem too.

Firstly I added the ejection seats to the cockpit and then fitted the coaming. In the process the control column fell off and now resides in the bowels of the cockpit along with 144 scale crumbs from the 'Sandwiches - aircrew for the use of'

pix4009.jpg

You can also see the first of the markings have gone on and, if you look carefully you can just see the flir pod.

Then I hit a problem - the decals I am using are from the Dragon Shiny Two set and this is the Revell offering and guess what they don't fit that well.

pix4011.jpg

The lower triangle doesn't reach the leading edge! Solutions are, add a bit more decal from another sheet or to remove lower triangle and replace with white decal sheet. I also didn't notice that the bare metal foil I used on the fin folded back on itself - RATS!

The last picture today is of the LRMTS as made by retrokits and being made in clear resin I think looks the business.

pix4.jpg

having just done a preview of this post I realise just how unforgiving the super macro on my camera is - I can see so many faults in the pictures that you can't see with the naked eye!

More updates on Monday,

Regards

David