Russian Cold War jets

Simon Cornes

Great photos of great models. Go on then, is that Alclad II or Halford's rattle cans? I sort of hope its the latter, having got Alclad paint but not yet used it!

If it is Halfords then which colours?

Cheers

Simon

Halfords 'Aluminium' ...... :thumbsup:

I also use their 'Vauxhall Tiffany Silver' and 'Ford Strato Silver' - great for doing different shades.

I used about seven different shades of Halfords rattle cans on my Trumpeter Tu-95MS.....

tu-95ms_01.jpg

The trick with Halfords acrylic spray cans is to warm them first is a bowl of very hot water - and spray in a warm atmosphere.

This Amodel Brabazon is just all-over Halfords Aluminium - polished with SNJ Polishing Powder.....

Brabazon%20016.jpg

Imagine how many tinlets of Humbrol Silver - or Alclad - that would have taken :analintruder:

Ken

Ken - I'm lost in admiration. Not just for the models but for your patience. How come the men in white coats haven't come for you yet?

John

Edited by John R

Ken

Ditto!! The info about the paint is worth a fortune to me and I am keeping a note of all of the recommended shades! I know its about £7 a tin so the 7 shades on the Bear ain't cheap but, as you say, it goes an awfully long way!

That Tu-95 looks great. I had sort of talked myself out of one of those on the grounds that it looked utterly weird but yours just looks great! Maybe its another version by Trumpeter but I just don't like the nose and radome - a real duckbill - on the one I have in mind!

Re SNJ polishing powder, I had an idea that it wasn't available any more? If it is then, before I check out Hannants website - is it easy to get hold of?

I'm starting to think that this thread should be saved in some way because I am getting some really good reference info from it - you should see the spreadsheet! Maybe others could benefit from it in the future?

Ken

Ditto!! The info about the paint is worth a fortune to me and I am keeping a note of all of the recommended shades! I know its about £7 a tin so the 7 shades on the Bear ain't cheap but, as you say, it goes an awfully long way!

I'm still using the silvers I bought for the Bear - as you say, it goes a long way.

That Tu-95 looks great. I had sort of talked myself out of one of those on the grounds that it looked utterly weird but yours just looks great! Maybe its another version by Trumpeter but I just don't like the nose and radome - a real duckbill - on the one I have in mind!

The only other Bear kit from Trumpeter is the Tu-142MR - the ASW/MR variant - it has a different nose etc to the Tu-95MS.

They are also now being painted grey - so no silvers to spray on. Some of the Tu-95MS's are also going grey.

Re SNJ polishing powder, I had an idea that it wasn't available any more? If it is then, before I check out Hannants website - is it easy to get hold of?

The powder I have is years old - purchased together with the SNJ paint (which has long since gone).

I don't think it is still available - although your local friendly police station might have some - IIRC, it's the same powder they use for dusting fingerprints.

Ken

I would have thought that after Mr Belenko presented them with a real one the Hasegawa version would be spot on.

It's not as if the JASDF, USAF, and the DIA gave Hasegawa unlimited access to the aircraft - the Hasegawa kit was based on several dozen (often hazy) photos in the press, and it was designed, tooled, and released within 90 days of the day Belenko landed (probably an all time record for a plastic kit). While they did a very credible job given what they had at hand, the kit suffers in several key areas, and is lacking most fine details such as wheel wells and a cockpit. The exhausts are blanked off walls, and the intakes are the same about a half inch inside.

J

• 1 month later...
To add onto Soviet bombers, if the Illyushin Il-28 "Beagle" attracts you, the Bilek kit is a bit of work but comes out quite nicely. Bilek also makes a trainer version of the Il-28 if you wanted a pair on your shelf.

Airfix made an Il-28 years ago, but it really isn't worth considering.

I have just got hold of the Trumpeter variety. It includes a replacement tail turret. Which one should you use for a Soviet AF machine?

Thanks

Simon

I have just got hold of the Trumpeter variety. It includes a replacement tail turret. Which one should you use for a Soviet AF machine?

Thanks

Simon

Soviet built machines used the Il-K6 turret, the Chinese ones used the DK-7 turret of the Tu-16. The soviet turret is spherical, the chinese one is cilindrical. This was only used on chinese built H5s. As I don't have this kit, I can't help with the part numbers, hope the description provided is enough to find the right turret.

The powder I have is years old - purchased together with the SNJ paint (which has long since gone).

I don't think it is still available - although your local friendly police station might have some - IIRC, it's the same powder they use for dusting fingerprints.

Ken

SnJ polishing powder & SnJ spray's are still available direct from Hawkeye's in the US.

• 2 weeks later...
Just picked up a KiTech Mig 31 going very cheap.

Who are KiTech and are they and their Mig 31 any good

John

Kitech is one of those chinese companies that used to issue clones of someone else's kit. They did a couple of tomcats that were copies of the italeri kits and an F-16that might have been a hasegawa clone. Of course these are all non authorized copies, much worse in quality than the original, although the tomcats featured recessed panel lines instead of the raised ones of the original kits. Kitech kits could be found very cheap, although the money saved on the kit had then to be spent in tubes of filler and decal sheets to replace the original very poor ones.

I've never seen the MiG-31, but I suspect that this is a copy of a mould made by a japanese company called Tsukuda. This was the same plastic issued by Revell many years ago. Revell then more recently reissued the Zvezda kit. The original kit was based on drawings made in the US starting from pictures taken from satellites, as such it was not really a good reproduction of the original thing. As I said, having never seen the kit, this is only a conjecture.

Thanks for that. It was only £3 and I thought that if it was rubbish it could be passed on to the grandchildren.

Some of the 'english' could only be described as quaint and that made me suspicious.

John

Having read this thread from the start I can only add the following observations;

Fujimi did a MiG-29 that is not worth considering. I can recall the canopy in particular being far too flat but sure there were plenty other inaccuracies.

The Airfix Su-27 looks great but will suck in huge quantaties of filler. Worst part was the wings and tailfin to fuselage joins. Tried converting one to a P.42 but stalled while crash-forming a new canopy.

The Hasegawa Su.27 also looked great for detail but the nose is too fat and high an angle while the rear fuselage is too wide in plan. Bought the initial release of this kit and also noticed the etched cockpit detail looks nothing like the photos of the real thing.

Don't know what PM based their Su-15 kit on but it wasn't an Su-15.

Enjoying this thread so please keep the information flowing.

Lots of good info here. To be fair to the kit manufacturers, though, many released their kits well before it was actually possible to get a good look at and measure these aircraft (Fujimi's 1/72 MiG-29 and Monogram's 1/48th kit come to mind). The Commies weren't quite as open with their military aircraft details as they/their replacements are now. IIRC the Monogram, Hasegawa and Fujimi MiG-29s were based on some distant (relatively) photos of MiG-29s that were deployed to Finland for an exercise. I've seen a lot of photos over the past decade or two, that during my time in the military, someone would have killed to get those photos…

Edited by Don McIntyre

• 5 weeks later...

To revive this thread a little, could someone give me an opinion on the KP/Kupro MiG-17PF and MiG-19? Apparently Heller also did a MiG-19 but whats that like? I can pick up the Heller MiG for £7.50 and the KP MiG's for £3 each!

Cheers

Simon

To revive this thread a little, could someone give me an opinion on the KP/Kupro MiG-17PF and MiG-19? Apparently Heller also did a MiG-19 but whats that like? I can pick up the Heller MiG for £7.50 and the KP MiG's for £3 each!

Cheers

Simon

The KP kits ar old and might look crude by today standards. However they are quite accurate. Their main problem is the bad quality of the transparencies.

Never seen a heller mig-19, an article in an old magazine said the KP one was much better but can't confirm this is the case or not.

I was in Ukraine a couple of weeks ago. Picked up the Amodel Sukhoi T4 for just over £50. Well worth giving it a try at that price. Amodel kits are very cheap there compared to here.

Now that'a very good price for a very good looking subject ! Guess I have to plan a trip to Ukraine..

Just read through this lot(phew).

One thing I have clicked to though,Flankerman is Ken Duffey.

He did some awsome Flankers BITD all based on the Airfix kit which he rated extremely highly.

Listen to Ken friends,he really IS Mr Flanker and really knows his onions with the beast.

Si,check your PM's mate.

Mark