1/48th Revell F-4C (ADC Grey) *Out Of Time*

She is looking quite smart however I think there is a real problem with the Hasegawa walkways becuse they look to be a sort of nicotine brown shade of grey. This photo shows it slightly better:

PhantomGBdecalsTwo.jpg

I have checked several reference books and the walkways should be a darker blue grey than these, Jabba's photos of his Michigan F-4C build supports this I think.

So, what to do? I don't have any other walkways so I could just leave these on and just grit my teeth everytime I look at it. I looked on Hannants and all I can find is a Microscale walkway decal set but they are black, not grey. Hi Line have an F-4C/D/E/G & RF-4C/E walkways - "USAF style" for US and export Phantoms (grey and black markings) but they are marked as a future release. Or I could get the Expert's Choice Michigan ANG sheet which does appear to have the correct grey walkways.

Going to sleep on this one and make a decision tomorrow!

Michael

I have a set of walkway decals by a company called Fox One which I will have a look for tonight. There are several different types of walkway on them, hopefully one that you are looking for.

I have a set of walkway decals by a company called Fox One which I will have a look for tonight. There are several different types of walkway on them, hopefully one that you are looking for.

Thanks Jabba, appreciate the thought! I am going to go for the Experts Choice Michigan ANG sheet as I just love those markings (inspired by your build) and would like to do one in the future, the walkways on that can 'come forward' to this kit.

Cheers

Michael

Thanks Jabba, appreciate the thought! I am going to go for the Experts Choice Michigan ANG sheet as I just love those markings (inspired by your build) and would like to do one in the future, the walkways on that can 'come forward' to this kit.

Cheers

Michael

Not a problem. Glad that you are inspired.

That is looking gorgeous :worthy:

Bexy

Thank you Bexy however not now it ain't, I have stripped off the walkways using sellotape as well as the 'US Air Force' decals as they were not up to standard IMHO. I managed to damage one of the 'star-and-bar' insignia's so that came off as well! The replacement decals have been posted today so hopefully she should look good when they go on.

My next worry is the Texas ANG 111 FIS decals, specifically the Texas flag tail fin markings. The decals for this are very old (at least 20 years!) and although I have looked after them there do seem to be some visible cracks on the sheet, I just hope they will transfer ok. If they don't then it will be a swift change to another ADC tasked ANG unit, maybe New York ANG, or possibly Oregon or Minnesota ANG.

Keeping fingers crossed!

Michael

Well, the epic bodgeathon continues...

New decals for walkways arrived yesterday (good fast service from Hannants) so I decided to start to apply them this afternoon.

Oh dear :crying:

PhantomGBdecalwalkways.jpg

On the plus side the walkway grey was exactly what I was looking for. On the downside I don't think I have ever handled decals this fragile, just one touch and they tore and whatever it is that is needed to apply them is beyond me. The wing walk panels went on fine and look good, the side fuselage panels were just about ok but the large spine decal was a nightmare.

This photo gives a better view of the constituency of the spine walkway decal:

PhantomGBdecalwalkwaystwo.jpg

A closer look, the decal seems to have multiple splits in it and I wonder whether it might be the age of the sheet; it is Experts Choice 48-40 which is copyrighted 1992. I am not using any decal fix solution, just water because they were going onto two layers of Klear and will be sealed with another Klear application (and I threw my Humbrol Decalfix out in a hissyfit 'cos it was leaving greasy stains!).

Also, my starting work at 04.50 this morning with just 4 hours sleep probably didn't help either :oops:

So not sure what to do now and I am going to leave it and have a think and come back with a fresh mind.

Michael

That really does look bad. That decals that I used are dated the same as yours and were from the same source(Hannants). I did buy them several years ago and have been in a draw ever since until I used them. When applying the decals I used Micro-Set and Sol. I did notice how thin they were when I applied the first of them which I thnk was the wing walks. I also did do the others on different days rather than in one go. I also added a drop or two of fairy liquid which sometimes help the decals release from the backing paper a bit easier and it allows them to move on the surface of the model a bit better. I also did have a bit of a nightmare with the spine decal as it was still joined where it goes over the tail, but after a bit of snipping with the scissors and a few choice words that my wife or neighbours do not like to hear I manged to get it on alright. Hope that this is some help.

Edited by Jabba

Thanks Jabba, the learning point here is never try to rush something when dog tired!

Nothing wrong with the decals, after all I managed to get one of the three walkways on so am going to order another set as well as some Micro-set and Sol. Will give the Fairy Liquid idea a try as well. I might cut the spine walkway into three parts to make it a bit easier to handle.

Going to leave this one for a few days until I get my equilibrium back :sleeping:

Michael

• 1 month later...

One Month and 14 days later... :tumble:

Spent six weeks without touching a kit, kind of wondering whether to bother any more and certainly not on a public board!!

Anyway, got my mojo back today, figured that the deadline for this group is just a few weeks away and a lump of plastic should not be allowed to defeat me, so I decided to apply some of the Texas ANG 111 FIS markings from a very old Superscale decal sheet. If they don't go on then it is the shelf-of-shame time, if they do then will have another go at the walkways which gave me so much trouble.

Here is the result:

PhantomGBtryagain.jpg

I am happy with the results. Invested in a new bottle of Decalfix and liberally coated everything with it. The Superscale oldies went on really well, very pleased with them. Then on to the Experts Choice walkways as well as some other lettering and they have gone on reasonably ok though they are just a bit ragged by the tailfin. It is going to be another 'three footer' for sure and still quite a lot to do but she is started again and I hope to make the GB deadline.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Just sixteen days to go...

Have done a bit more work the last couple of days:

PhantomGBongoing.jpg

Have added more decals and some stencils, still a few to go on. Added undercarriage legs, main doors, wing tanks. Added burner cans, also tail stabilators.

Still to do: some detail decals, various undercarriage doors, ejector seat detail and canopy painting.

Very happy with the burner cans :thumbsup:

Canopies not good, cracked one canopy using blunt knife, had to replace this from another Revellogram kit. I really don't enjoy painting canopies :thumbsdown:

Sixteen days ... tick tick tick

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Well, only really got started again today and got to stop now, am away tomorrow so sadly no more time to meet the F-4 Phantom GB deadline.

She is 98% completed:

PhantomGBfinal.jpg

Still have to attach the canopy pieces, add stencilling to the wings and starboard nose, re-attach a flap that has fallen off three times now, then finish all with a final coat of Klear.

Jeez this thing has been a fight! It doesn't look too bad actually but there are some big mistakes and it is still a 'three footer'.

On 5th June I said "What I want from this GB is to develop the virtues of patience and actually completing something." So that's a fail then :oops:

This is my first GB and it certainly has been an experience, yes might do it again one day, maybe ...

Some thank you's are due:

1) To Bexy and Steve for running this GB, thank you for your time and dedication.

2) To quite a few fellow modellers who offered crucial help and encouragement at the several low points of this build, thank you.

3) To Jens (Computer say No!) in Denmark who first suggested I should take part in a GB. You were right, thanks Jens.

My standards are getting better with each model and one day I hope to produce something of a show standard, might be a while yet B)

And look on the bright side, I am all ready for KUTA IV :cheers:

Michael

• Like 1

Oh so close and no shame when real life gets in the way. At least you resisted the temptation to rush the last steps and spoil all your good work at the end. We can look forward to seeing the final result when you return.