FAA Hellcat.

Hi.

here is a quick peek at my 1/48 Airfix Hellcat in FAA livery. I'm building it OOB and I am finding it difficult. Next time I will buy the Hase kit, from what I've seen, its much better.

I glossed this one tonight, ready for decals over the weekend.

fip1.JPG

Martlett, Mullet same thing and quick, edit your post ''Noice!'' :rofl:

"Noice" was my Smashie & Nicey style pronunciation, so :P

Martlett was the name for the Wildcat in FAA service - Ha! Double numpties! :tease:

I do have an excuse though... I'm inept! :P Phil makes models ALL THE TIME, so should be brilliant at it! And he set me off down the Martlett path, so double :P :P

Bum! John beat me to it! :doh:

Jen.

How wooode! :o

Very nice work so far. Looking forward to seeing it finished - You'll easily beat me to the punch, mine has been in the paint shed since the middle of last week, wearing nothing but undercoat and waiting for me to get started on it again.

Ian

Thanks everyone!

I found masking the invasion stripes around the fuselage quite difficult and to be honest they still are not "right" but I recon thats as goos as I'll get it for now.

Other problem I had was fit problems, even for an older kit thisn was noit good. Then again, maybe it was doen to me!

Hopefully some decals and weathering will hide the faults on this one.

I remember at one time that the Otaki Hellcat was the best around! (Airfix' Hellcat is of Japanese origin. As is their Mustang.) You've done a great job of a kit I never could be bothered to finish. :thumbsup:

On a second note the Hellcat was called the "Gannet" up until January 1944. That's also when they changed the "Martlet" (notice only one t) to Wildcat.

K

Thanks Nick, I'm not the best builder in the world so making it look like an aircraft is a good start for me!

I have'nt got any more pics at present, but the decals will go on today/tomorrow so I'll get the camera back out then.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres' a another update.....

I used the OOB decals and did a piddle poor job with them. The port codes and roundrel were terrible, they stuck to the model as soon as they came off the backing paper and I could'nt get them to move.

Anyway, this is best I could do after lots of microset,water,swearing and dabbing. Apart from that, its going really well!

I have since started work on a display base and pilot figure as I'm doing this one with a closed canopy.

fac8.JPG

It's a shame the stripes show thru on the roundels :S I'm not looking forward to having to deal with that myself one of these days. Someone - I think it's Fantasy Printshop, do white underpants for roundels, to stop such a thing from happening. Might be worth getting a sheet for myself :hmmm:

Looking good though ;)