Eurocopter EC135 Police Version

Julien

Eurocopter EC135 Police Version

1:72 Revell

EC135%20box%20top.jpg

The EC-135 light twin engined helicopter is a joint French/German development, which originated as a further development of the BO-105 helicopter.

In late 1992, the design was revised with the introduction of the Fenestron tail rotor system, reflecting the creation of Eurocopter that year through the merger of Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm (MBB) and Aérospatiale. The combination of lower accident potential from the enclosed rotor, and interior space, have made the EC135 popular with Police and aeromedical helicopter operators. The EC135 is the best selling light twin of the past 10 years.

In 2000 the first unit entered service with the German Federal Border Police (BSG-Bundesgrenzschutz) as an observation & liaison helicopter. 25 are now in service with them. In 2005 BSG became the Federal Police.

The Austrian Ministry of the Interior also ordered 8 of these aircraft. 4 are equipped with FLIR equipment as well as an SX searchlight system and digital downlink. The remaining 4 are standard helicopters with the provision to install the FLIR and other systems.

EC135%20Sprue1.jpg

EC135%20Sprue2.jpg

The mouldings are, as one would expect, to Revell’s usual standard with finely engraved panel lines. This copy does have a little flash but nothing that can’t be removed easily.

The fuselage is moulded in two halves with the cabin window openings provided in one large strip with the front door windows included. Options are not given to have any doors open.

EC135%20Clear.jpg

A fairly standard seated interior is included with will fill up the insides sufficiently. The instructions recommend 8 grammes of weight in the front, though with all helicopters putting it in so you cant see it will be challenging.

All in all this is a very nice kit which is quite detailed in 1.72 and should look great once made up.

EC135%20Decals.jpg

Decals are given for the German Bunespolizei and the Osterreichische Polizei. They are as seems to be normal these days printed in Italy for Revell and look excellent. Although not readily visible from the picture the Bundespolizei decals are actually silver not white.

Instructions are the usual Revell fair and quite detailed with easy to follow steps.

Review sample courtesy of

logo-revell-2009.gif

• Like 2

• 11 years later...

That’s a great review of this kit.

I’ve just purchased a pre-owned one off EBay to build as a Dorset Police helicopter. 
While I had the parts out of the box, I put the fuselage half next to my Airfix 1/72 Junglie Sea King - it looks tiny!!