An Italeri RF-4C

dswoofie

It was your first post about this "nostalgic(for me anyway :mental: )" old kit that ,had me bringing my old builds down from the loft. Your is comming along well.

I built this the same month that the kit was released( some 30 odd years ago). Hand painted (and not very well) with the old Humbrol enamels, or :hmmm: was it the now defunct Compucolor

Im very tempted to use the power spray and revamp it,using an airbrush this time. I think I still have a Microscale sheet for RF's..........................if not my mate will. :whistle:

30oddyearoldRF4C.jpg

Once a Phreak always a Phreak.

It was your first post about this "nostalgic(for me anyway :mental: )" old kit that ,had me bringing my old builds down from the loft. Your is comming along well.

I built this the same month that the kit was released( some 30 odd years ago). Hand painted (and not very well) with the old Humbrol enamels, or :hmmm: was it the now defunct Compucolor

Im very tempted to use the power spray and revamp it,using an airbrush this time. I think I still have a Microscale sheet for RF's..........................if not my mate will. :whistle:

30oddyearoldRF4C.jpg

Dunno, for a brushie - it's pretty bloody good..........

Dunno, for a brushie - it's pretty bloody good..........

I was thinking the same... and I dont like Phantoms.

Three of them, actually ! - Great work, Karl, Love the RF-4's, but never gotten around to building one. Must be why I've still got all those old Microscale sheets left, eh :hmmm:

Ian

30oddyearoldRF4C.jpg

Hey, a twin brother!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

OK, got a hour free this afternoon so I gave it the matt coat. It also stands on it's own feet now, the Gunze pot undercarriage is defunct now...

e876498e.jpg

d4631d7f.jpg

Not sure how much I'm going to weather this one yet, I'll be having a think for a while and I'll be back to it later tonight...

Karl.

It also stands on it's own feet now, the Gunze pot undercarriage is defunct now...

Gunze pot undercarriage. HAH! That made beer shoot from my nose.

Ohh no..... I can feel the temptation to build my first-ever RF brewing.... Well I think its temptation, that is brewing, however at my age it isn't something that I can take for granted :sorry:

Ian

(fellow Phreak)

More spare time today has allowed me to make a start on the weathering on the Phantom. Got the pastels out this morning and started on the underside. As it's all grey, this was nice and easy to do. All I used were a mid grey, a brown, and a yellow brown pastel. I lightly went over all of the panel lines with the mid grey pastel and blended in as necessary, then added a few streaks into things with the brown and yellow brown.

Before weathering...

33b35d43.jpg

After weathering...

5abfbacd.jpg

It's still not 100% finished but I'm moving on for now... I tend to find that if I leave it alone for a while and don't try to do everything in on session, I don't end up doing too much and being too heavy with the weathering. It also looks lighter at the moment as the pastels darken when you put clear coats over them.

Here's the underside at present...

a547293f.jpg

I suprised myself when it came to doing the metallic areas on the back of the Phantom. I used pastels again (first time on metallics) and I think it looks great. Never really been able to do this before.

1de16a76.jpg

Anyway, I'm now working on the topside which is rather difficult. As there are 3 colours on there it's difficult to get the type of finish I want. I've found that I've been really lightly using a darker grey pastel with different pressures for each colour... It seems to be working so far (no pics yet) and hopefully I'll get to carry on later tonight and get it finished.

Karl.

Don't know about a winner, but I'm happy with it anyway!

Right, practically finished now. Just a little bit of matt coat on the probe on the nose, unmask all of the canopy and camera's and it's done. Not a brilliant picture but here it is...

b3297f95.jpg

I'll be doing some proper shots in the next half hour or so for the Ready for Inspection thread.

Cheers,

Karl.

P.S. The final product is HERE

Edited by dswoofie