HobbyBoss Tornado F3 ****FINISHED****

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Hi Gang - I'm going to carry on where I left off with the Hobbyboss F3. Basically that means a lot of sanding bending, scribing and swearing - to get what I consider to be an F3 out of the model.

So Its just markings I need to ponder. I'm stick between a 111 Sqn bird and a Falklands 1435 Flight machine.

Hmmmm....

Jonners

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Start your optics!!! On your marks...ready?...get set...DRINK!

Hi Spike - pretty much. Though armed with the info from the GR4 build I'm hoping it will be easier second time around. I've got a plan to thin down the depth of the wing gloves too - which is another issue with this model.

I see Model alliance produce AIM-132s so - thats sorted, and I have some AIM-9 with boz launchers fromm my revell Harrier. The biggy is if I want some Hindenburgers on the beast.

At the same time as all this I will also, for light relief, be solving the Middle East problem :)

Cheers

Jonners

Hi Gang - I'm going to carry on where I left off with the Hobbyboss F3. Basically that means a lot of sanding bending, scribing and swearing - to get what I consider to be an F3 out of the model.

So Its just markings I need to ponder. I'm stick between a 111 Sqn bird and a Falklands 1435 Flight machine.

Hmmmm....

Jonners

Don't do it Jonners!!! Sanding, Bending and Swearing don''t even come near it!

Jonners,I might have a set of resin big jugs you can have (the's no fins tho),I'll have to dig them out & see what scale they are...

Hi Spike - dont worry mate, I'm settled on the 1435 flt machine and they dont seem to wear the tanks in most of the photos i've found. PLus I rather like th eidea of a relativley clean F-3 with just the ASRAAMs.

cheers though

Jonners

Right - so did some work today - as you know this model was part started - principally the nose area whihc I was attempting to make more F-3 like. So last night i applied several layers of Mr Dissolved putty to the nose and then today started sanding to get a better shape. I've also started on reshaping the intakes - canted down and atempote dto thin down the depth of the wing vanes. After tea, I'll tak epics to show you hows gone.

heres the link to the orginal build thread - so you can see where it had got to.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...&hl=tornado

Jonners

In true HobbyBoss Tornado fashion - I've done a bit more cutting up this afternoon, though I'm happy with the nose now, my little fix for thinning the wing gloves has meant a bit more work than I first thought.

TBH I'm quite enjoying it. second time around its much easier.

More pics post tea.

Jonners.

Just as an aside does anyone remember the singe seat Tornado that appeared in 2000AD in the first epsode of Invasion 1999? "Grobny jump jets!, too fast Aaarrgghhh"

Comming on nicely,but is it me or does the canopy look 'odd'?...like the curve starts too far back..

Hi Spike - yep - I dont think HB got the F3 canopy right, though it is different in shape from the one in their IDS kit.

Ah well

Jonners

Right its after tea, just not quite tea on the same day....

So - done work on the rear cockpit - in an effort to make it look more like An F3. The top monitor will need to be re-done, and theres some frame work and the prominient diagonal hand hold bars to add, but we are getting there.

18dfbf6b.jpg

Heres a pic of the intakes and the wing gloves which are now thinner and more pointy. The lights on the intakes need to be removed still as they are too high, but its a bit more prototypical than what HB give you in the box.

adfb8445.jpg

Heres the intakes from below showing the covers I've applied to hide the lack of internal trunking. Now I looked at adding trunking, but its a horrendous task, really horrendous. If anyone can do it - they should get a medal!! Intake covers are double thickness kitchen foil secured with CA then covered in about 4 layers of Mr Surfacer.

80c6a213.jpg

You can also see some AIM 120s blue-tacked in to try fit. Needs a bit of work - though did 1435 Flight use AMRAAMs at all?? Im guessing they would have.

Finally the wings - with the big notches removed from the attachment point so thay can be slotted in afterwards, and then the gears removed, and other bits sanded down to try and compensate for the excessive anhedral they show now Ive thinned the wing gloves. I'll get there - just trying to figure how.

be1471ce.jpg

Overall - its starting to come together - theres' just a lot of building work to do before i can start painting. Im actually starting to think that correcting the GR/IDS version was easier than the F3. LOL

Cheers

Jonners

Coming along nicely, as to whether 1435 used AMRAAM's I can tell you they most definitely did. I have a scar on my head to prove it.

Cheers Sooty - hope its good looking girl-getting type scar ! :)

A quick question if I may. The 2 rear missile stations? are the upper fins of the attached weapons still recessed into the Tornado body - or do they hang clear at an angle - I cant seem to find a clear pic.

Cheers

Jonners

I done a 4 month tour down the Falklands.. I'll check for photos of the Tonkas, I have some somewhere!

Cheers Radders

If you have any pics of F for Faith - they'd be much appreciated.

Jonners

PS sorry Ive 'ers'-ed you now

All of the upper fins recess into the fuselage jon, If you want photo's I'm sure I have some somewhere. Unfortunately the scar isn't cool and it's obvious I banged my head of something sharp.

All of the upper fins recess into the fuselage jon, If you want photo's I'm sure I have some somewhere. Unfortunately the scar isn't cool and it's obvious I banged my head of something sharp.

cheers Sooty - thats another thing HB forgot then - they have holes in the semi recessed forward sations, but not for the rear.

Jonners

Cheers Sooty - hope its good looking girl-getting type scar ! :)

A quick question if I may. The 2 rear missile stations? are the upper fins of the attached weapons still recessed into the Tornado body - or do they hang clear at an angle - I cant seem to find a clear pic.

Cheers

Jonners

Cheers Radders

If you have any pics of F for Faith - they'd be much appreciated.

Jonners

PS sorry Ive 'ers'-ed you now

Thats fine lol its a nickname anyway!