I hope i'm not the only one

dazdot

I hope i'm on the right section here and i don't wish to upset any fans of the spitfire, but PLEASE no more new kits of this aircraft!!!!!!

I have just gone through 4 months of magazines and found a review of at least one if not two or three spit kits in each one

Please this is overkill

But is there hope in the airfix mag? see here

?

the Italeri/Arii kit the criticisms of which escape me now,

If I recall correctly, the main criticism was of a too-low propeller thrust line, which over-emphasised the downward slope of the engine upper cowling. I think the 1/48 Airfix kit went too much the other way, giving the nose a rather perky appearance.

The Italeri kit was Occidental tooling. The Arii kit was ex-Otaki, and lacked the centre-section gull-wing effect.

With dazdot's original intention in mind, I think that part of the problem is that the Spitfire has been kitted often, but, probably for the most part, not well. For that reason I would expect new Spitfire/Seafire releases into the near future.

Best regards,

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor

A range of decent Hurricane kits by a mainstream company in 1/72 and 1/48 would be most welcome.

thanks

Mike

The two AZ Hurricane kits are pretty good (the ex-Sword Mk.I and the Mk.IV - well, that's the variant I bought) covering the main Hurricane variants. Not quite "mainstream" but more accurate than what went before and better than the latest mainstream one from Airfix. I think more modellers should forget any hangups about mainstream and try some of the tributaries - come on in, the water/modelling is lovely!

I'm happy to see new Spitfire kits, as long as they are better than what came before. I'd be happier still if they didn't come with errors in outline and detail, or unwanted trenches. It would be particularly good to have a Mk.IX/VIII that didn't need apologising for.

I hope i'm on the right section here and i don't wish to upset any fans of the spitfire, but PLEASE no more new kits of this aircraft!!!!!!

I have just gone through 4 months of magazines and found a review of at least one if not two or three spit kits in each one

Please this is overkill

Is there someone stood behind you with a whip forcing you to buy them ?

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Where's the end of the que to kick him in the nuts for even suggesting such a thing....lol

In the last 9 months since i've got my new job,i've pick one each of Tamiya's 32nd Spitfire kits...i only wish Tamiya would keep going with the Spitfire family as i'd love a PR.XI also maybe XIVc/e's in 1/32 but i read somewhere.....make that everywhere that it'll be P-51's for the next few releases

It's not about "don't buy them" or "buy something else". The problem is that neither time nor resources is infinitely elastic: every second of effort spent on a new Spitfire kit is a second less spent on something else. OK, Spitfires sell, and they bankroll other stuff, and if there are errors in older kits they need replacing. But if you're not all that interested in Spitfires, or have enough to last a lifetime, it can seem a bit of a missed opportunity. The same does go for the Fw 190, the Bf 109 and the P-51, of course.

Its not like we've had a dearth of non-Spitfire subjects in recent years though is it? FAA fans have had 1/72 Wyverns. Gannets and Sea Hawks, we've had a new 1/72 Meteor F3, all new Wellington, promise of a new Halifax to come. 1/48 and 1/32 grows in terms of subject matter. RAF, USAF, Luftwaffe... we're getting more new kits now than ever.

Its not like we've had a dearth of non-Spitfire subjects in recent years though is it? FAA fans have had 1/72 Wyverns. Gannets and Sea Hawks, we've had a new 1/72 Meteor F3, all new Wellington, promise of a new Halifax to come. 1/48 and 1/32 grows in terms of subject matter. RAF, USAF, Luftwaffe... we're getting more new kits now than ever.

Very true, and look at all the amazing WW1 stuff that has come out in the last couple of years. It is undoubtedly the golden age of WW1 aircraft modelling at the moment.

Not being a "pureist" when it comes to Spitfires, most of the models I'm aware of ....pretty much look like the iconic a/c when done...frequenting this site has educated me that there are many subtle points and details to trap the unwary modeler. [ ie: red crowbar ] as a minor example.

A wonderful a/c to be sure, and one moving to my "must do" list...

Cheers,

ggc

How about a mainstream kit of a Whilwind in 1/48th or a BP defiant, I stand to be corrected but I haven't seen these!

With good reason - they're probably seen as being too left-field (at present) and as such a bit of a risk. Ironically, its all those Spitfires, Me 109s, 190s, P-51s etc... that help offset the risk of subject like that.

To use a footballing analogy, you need your Lionel Messi's but you also need your Ralph Milne's.

Ok, maybe not Ralph Milne...

Edited by Jonathan Mock

:lol: are you calling Daz daft? He's not daft, just not a fan of the Spit... or more likely a bigger fan of other aircraft than the Spit. :)

See what I mean about gobbing off without thinking.

My apologies Daz.

See what I mean about gobbing off without thinking.

My apologies Daz.

Not sure you are off here. :D While no offense to Daz is intended, it seems that at least in concept, posting in the WWII forum of Britmodeller that Spitfires are overdone, is at least a wee bit daft :whistle:

Having a Fieseler Fi167 and a Caudron C.445 on the bench, both of perfectly acceptable quality to me, I am wondering if there is any even moderately significant aircraft of WW2 that HASN'T been kitted in a form at least reasonably congruent to its importance?

I accept I am a bit unusual - I choose something to build, then look for a kit of it.

So, given almost everything is a 'repeat' and manufacturers have to produce things that sell - might as well do a Spitfire!

PS - dazdot, congratulations on keeping everyone amused for a while!

Wow!!!! what a thread ....... never seen so many people spitting fire like this for such a long time...........................and all done in good humour!!!

Lets keep this one going guys and gals

Please this is overkill

Well done!! A comment like this is LONG overdue!! :lol: :lol: The mere mention of yet another Spitfire ( or P-51/P-47/BF109/FW-190 ETC !) is enough to send me on a trip to Yawnorama city! I fully appreciate its history & its vital role in war but, as a modelling subject, I find it as dull & tedious as the equally overdone F-16! I am proud to say that throughout my long modelling career, not one Spitfire has ever darkened my shelves. Fighters with twirly bits at the front are boring!! :angrysoapbox.sml:

Remember the saying? ;

"Fighter pilots make movies, Bomber pilots make history!!"

:lol: :lol:

I fully expect now to find myself besieged by Spit -o-philes & consaigned to to The Tower to face torture most horrible for my blasphemy!!

Well done!! A comment like this is LONG overdue!! :lol: :lol: The mere mention of yet another Spitfire ( or P-51/P-47/BF109/FW-190 ETC !) is enough to send me on a trip to Yawnorama city! I fully appreciate its history & its vital role in war but, as a modelling subject, I find it as dull & tedious as the equally overdone F-16! I am proud to say that throughout my long modelling career, not one Spitfire has ever darkened my shelves. Fighters with twirly bits at the front are boring!! :angrysoapbox.sml:

Remember the saying? ;

"Fighter pilots make movies, Bomber pilots make history!!"

I fully expect now to find myself besieged by Spit -o-philes & consaigned to to The Tower to face torture most horrible for my blasphemy!!

I know what you are all thinking ....form an orderly que behind me please!!!

I know what you are all thinking ....form an orderly que behind me please!!!

Spitfires???? Pah!! (yawns!)

Let's keep this one going! Livens up a dull Sunday morning!!

Spitfires???? Pah!! (yawns!)

Let's keep this one going! Livens up a dull Sunday morning!!

Spitfires...... so much diversity in one subject....something for everyone.........even non believers :bleh:

Looks like this could be a good Sunday :thumbsup2:

Please this is overkill

As one of the authors of the articles (SAMI, April 2011, converting the old 1:72 Airfix MkI to Mk II) I have to say that I think that the articles have simply been in proportion to the number of recent Spitfire releases and the inevitable modelling interest that this creates. If half a dozen great new kits and accessories are released close together then it's inevitable there will be a lot of Spitfire modelling going on. Editors are going to want to have topical articles that reflect what many readers are building at that moment.

Another reason is the set of recent anniversaries: 70th anniversary of the BOB last year and 75th anniversary of the first flight this year.

I guess its frustrating if Spitfires aren't your thing, but it will pass and the hobby will move on to more under-kitted subjects shortly. Probably the P-51, if Tamiya have their way!

Stewart

Now let us assume I am going to set up Bunker models, a mainstream kit manufacturer, who are going to make the the most wonderful, accurate kits, with more decal options than you can imagine. As MD, the kit I want to make is the Scruggs Wonderplane because it is my favourite of all time. But I need to get the company moving and sell kits. So my first releases will be 109, Spitfire, F-16, F-4 and any other planes the marketing department tell me will sell. I need those kits to sell consistently every month to keep my company in business. Then, occasionally we can put in more esoteric subjects, but the fact is they will not sell as well as those mainstream subjects. Companies need kits that sell in large volumes, and the Spitfire will always do that.

So as long as Spitfires sell, there will be new Spitfire kits marketed.