Lakenheath F-15E

diamond9

Wow, I'm so jealous!! I've left a message on the Lakenheath Facebook page asking if they offer guided tours but no reply yet :(

Pete, you might have to do it via work or a club. But let me know the out come please. Would love to go

im very jelous too. i went to viewing area last summer, it peed down with rain but waqs worth it saw at least 10 take off, what a noise, but camera didnt have enough zoom for decent pics, i went again ast oct, i had new camera with bigger zoom, nothing showed up and it was a better day, typical

Well, I've had a reply from the guys at Lakenheath and its good news and bad news.

They DO offer guided tours (good news bit) but theres a minimum group number of 15 (bad news bit) unles we can get a group of at least 15 (maximum 40) then its a no goer.

The web page for tours is here: (http://www.lakenheath.af.mil/communityrelations/index.asp)

As can be seen the base offers two types of tours. 'Liberty Group Tours' and 'Liberty Good Neighbour Tours'. The latter are for people who have a base worker or serviceman living in their neighbourhood (obviously not us mores the pity) The former then is our way into reference heaven :bouncy:

Taken from the base webpage:

Liberty Group Tours

Certain conditions and restrictions apply to all base tours, which can be discussed once your request is received. Here are a few to consider:

Tours are limited to groups no smaller than 15 and no larger than 40 people

Tours are not provided to individuals, non-organized groups, or groups of children under age 13

At least one adult chaperone per eight children is required with groups consisting of children ages 13-15

Unscheduled tours are NOT allowed

Groups must provide their own transportation. Most groups book a coach or a minibus for their visit.

For further details of how to apply for a Liberty Group Tour, please click here

I've "clicked here" and you get a download of a tour request letter (now saved on my hard drive) theres quite a bit of info they need from anyone wanting to go and my guess is that if your names Osama Bin Insurgent you aint getting on the base :mg:

As a couple of mates on here will know, I work as a driver for a London bus company so we might be able to get/hire/beg/borrow/nick a bus from work dunno what the cost would be yet though.

Anyone interested?

Good start thats 4 with 5 including me. Wheres Diamond 9? Gary, you're gonna come surely? LOL!! Crispy mate, is your license still valid :rofl:

I should say we'll be coming up from London and could I guess pick people up on the way.

Edited by Pedrovski

Good start thats 4 with 5 including me. Wheres Diamond 9? Gary, you're gonna come surely? LOL!! Crispy mate, is your license still valid :rofl:

I should say we'll be coming up from London and could I guess pick people up on the way.

Lol you P*** taker and I'm sure mr wells will come

OK lets start a list then if thats OK with the mods here :whistle: if its not OK then :sorry:

1) Cuprar

2) Cuprars dad (off forum)

3) Steve Morris (off forum)

4) Alpha Delta 210

5) Pedrovski (me)

6) Graham Bright (off forum)

7) Diamond 9

8) C.smith 10

9) attman007

10) Gary Watson (off forum)

11) JeffreyK

12) Phartycr0c

13) Rich T

14) + 1

15) + 1 (green on...GO!!!) :thumbsup:

16) bentwaters81tfw

17) bentwaters81tfw SWMBO

18)

19)

20)

21)

22)

23)

24)

More if wanting

Please bear in mind we'll be coming up from London and the base would like us all in one bus/coach. The base have said it has to be a Thursday (don't ask me why) Costs will be for the bus/coach hire and maybe Lakenheath will want paying (don't know yet). No profit will be made and I'm not putting anything on for my time etc etc so it'll be cost price and lets enjoy the day. Any questions ask. As I find out more from the base I'll post it up here. I'll confirm a date when I can agree one with the base that fits in with my shift pattern.

Edited by Pedrovski

OK quick update:

I'm working on a date of Thursday 22nd September 2011. This is the date I will ask the base for when we have the numbers. Please be aware in order to be accepted by Lakenheath you will need to provide your first and last name, phone number and email address and those over 16 must provide photo ID, either their passport, drivers license or school bus pass. When I send in the application you need to tell me which one of these you'll bring as it goes on the form and if you fail to bring this SAME ID along they won't let ANY of us in.

Quote from the application form:

For security purposes, we require a complete list of names, first and last, of those attending the tour to include the coach driver at least two weeks prior to the tour date. We also require all visitors age 16 or older to provide photo identification on the day of the tour. On the day of the tour, participants must bring with them the photo id disclosed on the Entry Access Letter, which should display an expiration date and an issue number unique to that form of identification (passport, drivers’ license, school bus pass etc. Failure to provide the required information and identification will cause the tour to be canceled without promise of a new tour date.

We do encourage visitors to bring cameras on their visit. Photo opportunities will be made available on the day of the tour; however there may be some areas that are sensitive. We ask visitors to be aware of this. Your tour guide will announce photo opportunities when appropriate.

I propose to send in our initial application by FRIDAY 17th JUNE at the latest in order that we get our booking.

count me in, im local to lakenheath but i'd be more than happy to get a look round and i can hook up with the bus somewhere close

Thats cool as long as you don't mind chipping in with the cost of the bus/coach then you're welcome :welcome: I'll put you on the list.

Edited by Pedrovski

Hi the last one i went on we went to the officers mess for lunch also got to park where they check them over before take off just make sure you have a camera or they will not let you off the bus to take pics of a take off also bring enough money for the doughnut and coffee shop near the gate gaurds

i used to deliver there and mildenhall/marham but no pics was not allowed to take my camera on base

Simon

no, thats cool, i dont mind chipping in a few £, do you know what you get to see on the tour? do you get up close to a 15?

Looking at Diamond 9's pics above when he went on a tour the answer is yes. All the paperwork I have says they encourage photography. One thing talking to Gary (Diamond 9) is that they were strictly forbidden to take pics of the rear of the '15E in question.

Count me in, same as C.Smith10 I live near so can meet up with the bus at the same place and am happy to chip in!

Gents,

It's been a year or two but I've done a couple of these with local aviation groups here in Suffolk, although from memory they used to be on a friday so must have changed. The format seems to vary a little, although I'm not sure why as I've never been involved with the organization of them. It may help if you request when given the opportunity that you'd like as much photographic access to the aircraft as possible. I know one of the tours I was on was actually offered the chance to go down to the 'last chance' checks (they declined, as it meant a early start!), also sometimes you go to the simulator, tower and other areas, and sometimes you don't so it may be a good idea to get clarification if possible. They always seem to involve having a close look at a F-15 either in or outside a HAS (sometimes two aircraft to a HAS), but they do sometimes only want you to photograph the aircraft that you have been 'cleared to see' at the HAS, although I've never heard anything about not shooting a F-15E up the stern before, that's a new one.

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Gents,

It's been a year or two but I've done a couple of these with local aviation groups here in Suffolk, although from memory they used to be on a friday so must have changed. The format seems to vary a little, although I'm not sure why as I've never been involved with the organization of them. It may help if you request when given the opportunity that you'd like as much photographic access to the aircraft as possible. I know one of the tours I was on was actually offered the chance to go down to the 'last chance' checks (they declined, as it meant a early start!), also sometimes you go to the simulator, tower and other areas, and sometimes you don't so it may be a good idea to get clarification if possible. They always seem to involve having a close look at a F-15 either in or outside a HAS (sometimes two aircraft to a HAS), but they do sometimes only want you to photograph the aircraft that you have been 'cleared to see' at the HAS, although I've never heard anything about not shooting a F-15E up the stern before, that's a new one.

Gary

Thanks Gary. Will bear that in mind

Sounds extremely good - count me in!

One question though: If I , or indeed anyone, of the group can't make it on the scheduled day, i.e. the number of people attending doesn't match with the number (and names) of people on the approved list - does this jeopardise the whole groups' visit? It's all quite convenient for me, I can freely request a day off work and I live in London (and I'm a very reliable guy), but if something DID come up and I can't go I don't want to spoil it for everyone...

Edited by JeffreyK

Just a quick update. I'm still waiting on Lakenheath to reply to my initial direct email giving an idea of numbers and what we want to look at. Hopefully they will also confirm whether it costs to actually take the tour as there is no mention of charges in their "bumph" that came initially via email. Once I have this and a price for the bus/coach hire the idea is to simply total both up then divide between the number of participants. I will post here as and when the info comes in.

Cheers

Pete

Now then Myself and Rich T will be up for a trip, and would you guys accept two Britmodeller non members to split the costs?

we would be travelling across from the Midlands so would have to Liase with you guys somewhere.

SWMBO and I would be interested, and we're 'in county' so would have to meet up.

Only problem has already been voiced re numbers or dropouts. SWMBO is under the quack and on a course of meds, but should be OK weeks before the date.

No telling at this stage if a last minute drop out could be possible. If we commit, I'll pay irrespective.