Revell 1/72 Heinkel He 177A-3

rowmk9

Thanks guys!

I've given the mottle a light mist of RLM 76 which has taken the edge off the dark grey. Also i've had time to play with the propellers and the crew access hatch, although the latter needs some attention with the hairy stick.

p1080374g.jpg

I've given the mottle a light mist of RLM 76 which has taken the edge off the dark grey.

Yes, that does look better to me too. Will you be softening/varying the undersides too? That's a big area of flat black and quite difficult to weather I think.

Yes, that does look better to me too. Will you be softening/varying the undersides too? That's a big area of flat black and quite difficult to weather I think.

thanks! yeah I will try and do something about that underside as you're right, it is a bit monotone at the moment. I'll see what I can come up with, though I'm open to any ideas :)

thanks! yeah I will try and do something about that underside as you're right, it is a bit monotone at the moment. I'll see what I can come up with, though I'm open to any ideas :)

I have exactly the same problem with my lanc - probably the same surface area in fact. My problem is that there are so few colour photos clearly showing the undersides of old black aircraft. No good looking ar warbirds with their immaculate gloss finish or museum examples which are clean and drained of fluids too. The paint on the early lancs was very matt but very prone to coming off on your hands apparently. It scuffed and took a shine in any heavy traffic areas. I'm thinking of using varnishes, matt satin and gloss, applied with various brushes, cottonbuds, feathers etc together with oil and fuel stains in paler and darker colours reds, browns, yellows perhaps? I may spray my abandoned U-2 kit and use it for experimenting. I'll post my findings on my thread as soon as I get to it. I'm on holiday now so I should be getting on with it a bit faster.

• 2 weeks later...
any updates bud?

Yes indeed! I've had silly things like real life getting in the way of modelling as of late, a crying shame! :P

But yes this week when I've had time I've been slowly putting the decals on the aircraft and that process is now complete. here's a piccy proof:

p1080510.jpg

p1080507.jpg

p1080511i.jpg

Next up is a quick varnish to seal in the decals and then I can think about some washes for the panel lines. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments on this build. Truth be told I have had difficulty keeping my modelling mojo going recently so that is why this build has been updated in fits and starts rather than in one continuous flow. I have decided to call this one finished as I want to move on to other projects that need my attention :)

So although its far from perfect, I present the He 177A-3. Pics will follow in the finished builds gallery soon :)

p1080574o.jpg

p1080568o.jpg

p1080571r.jpg

p1080560i.jpg

p1080580q.jpg

• Like 1

thanks guys. Yes Mike the kit is very good indeed, only let down slightly by the nose transparencies which aren't quite as good as the rest of the kit. It's a big beastie too - the size of a B-17/Lancaster.

I think it came out very well. Even with a loss of mojo! I like the differentiated underneath, though I'm not sure about the panel lines wash. The mottling is outstanding, and very eye-catchng indeed. Your top surface stains look exactly right too. Well done, that man!

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Yeah I hear you on the panel wash Don, I'm unsure about it as well, but I guess you have to try these things once to find out. :P