Wingnut Wings Albatros D.Va

It's been a while since I did an update on this build. The wooden prop has been given a coat of Tamiya Clear Yellow and Clear Orange mixed together which improves the look greatly. The propeller WNW recommend for this option doesn’t quite fit the spinner so i have had to cut it a little to get it to fit. I have gone a little too far in places so need to build it back up before I can paint it.

Albatros042.jpg

The rest of the fuselage has been finished in Humbrol gloss black lightened in places with a touch of grey to get some variation in places. The WNW decals performed flawlessly.

Albatros044_zps9d5c0313.jpg

Albatros045_zpse6c67113.jpg

Albatros043_zps46b26626.jpg

I have dry fitted the control surfaces in place and the tail is a perfect fit. The lower wing is a really tight fit but doesn't seem to line up straight. I know other people have had problems with the lower wing. I think it may be caused by the bulkhead not lining up straight in the fuselage. I've not decided how I'm going to correct it yet. I'll either try and bend the locating tabs to the correct angle or I'll make cuts in the locating tabs to get them straight. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Albatros047_zps42e7f6a4.jpg

Albatros046_zpsda6a8aba.jpg

Once I've sorted the wings out I can glue the tailplane in place. Next job I have is to tidy up and paint the spinner, paint and touch up various small details, the wheels, guns and once this as done I can make a start on getting some of the rigging in place before I add the top wing. If I do it at this stage it may be easier.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys. Should be tackling the wing alignment issue over the weekend all being well.

Excellent progression , do you have base for the fig/plane?

I don't have a base for the aircraft yet but I will be making one.

Edited by FZ6

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know if this would help with your wing alignment issue but it sure helped me to keep things lined up:

IMG_3856.jpg

This jig helped me as I was able to mount the parts in it and then take measurements prior to glueing the assy.

Available from umm models ,the website is down right now or I would post the link.

Edited by krow113

Cheers,

I think I've solved the wing alignment issue by bending the tabs but think I will get one of these Jigs before I attach them to ensure they are lined up.

After a search I found that Little Cars sell the Jigs. I've emailed them ask if I can order one to collect at Telford but have yet to receive a reply.

If you do have a direct link I'll get one from there if Little Cars don't get back to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get a Jig from Little Cars at Telford which is a kit in it's own right. This is now assembled and the job of attaching the wings and rigging can commence. It looks like a really useful tool which will be a great Help getting the job done.

Hi Mark,

The accepted way to make the sivergrau for this aircraft is as follows:

Two parts of Tamiya XF-16 "aluminium" with one part of Tamiya XF-19 "sky-gray" mixed.

All the best.

Cheers Martin,

I'll have to bear this in mind for when I need it again although I've never really got on with Tamiya Acrylics.

Looks fantastic. Why not post it over at

http://forum.ww1airc...s.com/index.php

and

http://www.greatwara...forum/index.php

Brilliant stuff there mate - it's a very good model indeed.

I think I did start a thread over on Great War in the Air. Its a great forum but sadly I don't get time to visit as often as I'd like.

Regards,

Mark