Tamiya 1/48 F-16

You're doing a great job Phil (what's new? :lol: ), but it's just too clean for me... I know it's at the client's request... A bit of pre-shading never hurt anyone ;)

You have no idea how hard it is for me not to weather it. But I have a couple on order with Bill, now that one will get the full works :wicked:

Very nice... it's coming along despite being too clean, although the wash has taken some of that away ;)

...and I can see your Mastercasters sanding sponges on the desk. Jay's going to be able to retire soon! :lol:

I must say that I'm very impressed with jay's sanding sponges. They did a great job on the centre seam on the canopy to. :thumbsup2:

See? Told ya ;)

Guest Hunter

Looking good Phil.

I got mine yesterday and it looks great quality, one question ... I assume this kit needs no weight in the nose to stop it tail sitting? Tamiya usually provide a weight these days if its needed, but nothing in the kit and no mention of it in the instructions.

Also whats the scoop on choosing between smoked or clear canopies? The kit shows smoked for the front main canopy and clear for the rear, so I'm wondering why parts are included for front and rear in smoked as well as clear ? :analintruder: ?

I'll be building out of the box and doing the 79th Fighter Squadron Leader Tiger meet version.

Looking good Phil.

I got mine yesterday and it looks great quality, one question ... I assume this kit needs no weight in the nose to stop it tail sitting? Tamiya usually provide a weight these days if its needed, but nothing in the kit and no mention of it in the instructions.

Also whats the scoop on choosing between smoked or clear canopies? The kit shows smoked for the front main canopy and clear for the rear, so I'm wondering why parts are included for front and rear in smoked as well as clear ? :analintruder: ?

I'll be building out of the box and doing the 79th Fighter Squadron Leader Tiger meet version.

Hi, No it doesn't need any weight it's only the added engine in the 1/32 that needs the weight. As for the canopies it is smoked for the front and clear for the rear. The early Falcons had all clear canopies but with the Golf hotting up ahhh Hotting up SORRY in the 1990's the change was mad to smoked. Stops the pilot from getting a tan. :lol:

You can make this straight out of the box but I would suggest PE harness's as the decal one's really don't work.

Hi, No it doesn't need any weight it's only the added engine in the 1/32 that needs the weight. As for the canopies it is smoked for the front and clear for the rear. The early Falcons had all clear canopies but with the Golf hotting up ahhh Hotting up SORRY in the 1990's the change was mad to smoked. Stops the pilot from getting a tan. :lol:

You can make this straight out of the box but I would suggest PE harness's as the decal one's really don't work.

The tinted canopy is actually to assist in lowering the radar return from the cockpit similar to the EA-6B.I'm sure I read somewhere that the clear canopies made a return as they assisted in NVG usage.Looking forward to seeing Phil's one finished.

Stephen

Well it's all going belly up on the decaling front.

I'm not a happy camper :thumbsdown:

The white Deacl went on great

DSCF3935.jpg

Then the coloured decal which is very poor

DSCF3934.jpg

And guess what it doesnt line up :angrysoapbox.sml:

DSCF3936.jpg

AS you can see the colour decal is to small and short showing the white.

But it gets worse.

DSCF3937.jpg

yes the black Tiger strips don't line up ether :devil:

It should look like this

DSCF3939.jpg

So not only are the coloured dacal no where near the right colour, they don't fit

That what I thought but the white and the black tiger strips fit perfect

Bit of a bummer either way... are they Twobobs? If so, how about you ask them about it?

Just so i'm not going mad

DSCF3941.jpg

This shows the tiger and top F-16 all nicely lined up.

But look at the bottom F-16 no were near

DSCF3940.jpg

In this shot the bottom f-16 is in but the width of the wing tips is out and the tiger and the top F-16

Tell me it's not just me?

I have just emailed Mr Two Bob but I can see me having spay the tail.

I'm going to need more Tamiya tape :undecided:

I somehow feel soooo guilty..........

Jesting to one side- thats really poor quality Phil, I'm really surprised and shocked that 2/- could have it so wrong...not good at all!!!

I have just emailed Mr Two Bob but I can see me having spay the tail.

Isn't Speying what you do to female cats? :hmmm:

ew...... I gather this is the exact markings your client wanted ? :(

He's got a point...ew!...these are pretty hideous markings!

Isn't Speying what you do to female cats? :hmmm:

I take it Speys in an F-14 just wouldn't work...? :whistling:

Shame about the decals Phil. If they were sixed to the Hasegawa kit, then that would be one variable right away. As Mike also mentioned, they may have stretched too. Not that it helps you now, but if you get another set, maybe you'd be better off applying some of the stripes individually?

Jens