Tamiya 1/48 F-16

Hmmm...

I'm a little worried about 049. I think I'll wait until I see how it looks on yours first. I also haven't really found any reference pictures for the aircraft I'm modelling. Oh well.

Looking forward to more updates Phil.

Unless Tamiya has included the paratail you can't build a Greek F-16 straight from the box. I didn't notice any extra tail parts in the sprue layout I saw some time ago.

K

Unless Tamiya has included the paratail you can't build a Greek F-16 straight from the box. I didn't notice any extra tail parts in the sprue layout I saw some time ago.

K

There is only the standard tail, no paratail That said it is a separate part so I think Tamiya are going to milk it for every last type.

There is only the standard tail, no paratail That said it is a separate part so I think Tamiya are going to milk it for every last type.

Looking forward to the milking part. Greek F-16's. Sexiest thing around...

Not mine but still a cool pic. This from Norway.

330norway.jpg

Guest Drewe
It's for the top light gray, 053 is for the dark gray and 050 is for the underside. I'm not shore what colour to do the nose yet :hmmm:

Bear in mind that Tamiya's painting instructions are wrong. . .all the aircraft in the kit are actually two tone (36270/36118) not three as the kit would have it.

Bear in mind that Tamiya's painting instructions are wrong. . .all the aircraft in the kit are actually two tone (36270/36118) not three as the kit would have it.

My learned friend is correct, all modern F-16 are now two tone of light ghost gray and gunship gray so you can forget 049 after all :analintruder:

A few more pics for you.

Filled the pin marks.

F-16C_30_5.jpg

Refitted the big mouth intake after installing the hasegawa small mouth. Don't ask :dunce: and thanks to Jay's fantastic files and sanding sponges ( available from this site @ http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.php?showforum=92 )I had it looking good in no time.

F-16C_30_6.jpg

and a few pics of were I'm at.

F-16C_30_7.jpg

F-16C_30_8.jpg

Looking good still... You'd never know about the big mouth/small mouth debacle! ;)

I know, you have to be a real rivet counter to notice the difference from a foot away. I was going to leave the small mouth on as it was a good fit, but as I was seeing how good it was on, when the CA gave way, so with a bit of a clean up the Tamiya one dropped in fine. So I'm back on track. The only thing is it's so well made that you have to watch out when sanding not to over do it, as the joins arent that forgiving :winkgrin:

One question: Is the kit that much an improvement over the old Hasegawa kit?

K

Yes in a word. It is the same detail as the 1/32 and almost the same build.

The same cockpit and seat as the 1/32 just scaled down :)

The same fuselage and fin as the 1/32 just scaled down :)

The only difference apart from scale is:

leading edge flaps are fixed :(

no detailed, removable engine -_-

no metal main gear -_-

no rubber tyres -_-

no interchangeable nozzles, it's fixed open :(

so far I haven't used any filler apart from my own fault on the intake.

It is a bit expansive compared with the Hasegawa but you don't need any extras to make a fantastic Falcon. It can be made out of the box.

My only compliant is the pin marks are in tricky areas to get to and decal harnesses are OK on 1/72 but not in 1/48. I would get some PE replacements

You just KNOW this is going to be good :D

No poo-poo Sherlock! :lol:

Phil - give Bill a break... he's Tom & Dick ;)

What decals are you having? D'ya reckon the cockpit would be ok OOB, or would you think a resin tub would be better? Looks pretty detailed from what I can see.. :thumbsup:

This is where I have to hold back as the client doesn't want any weathering :( So no pre shading or panel toning on this one, she is just have a light sludge wash for the panel lines.

This is the markings in question.

tmota-009a.jpg

As you can see this bird had just had a respray for the meet. So very little in the way of weathering.

Guest Drewe

Of more interest (if you're a Viper weenie like me!) is the presence of the Sniper-XR pod under the intake and the fact that she is carrying older LAU-114 launchers under wing whilst the wingtips have LAU-128/A launchers. . .like I say, if you're a viperholic!

Of more interest (if you're a Viper weenie like me!) is the presence of the Sniper-XR pod under the intake and the fact that she is carrying older LAU-114 launchers under wing whilst the wingtips have LAU-128/A launchers. . .like I say, if you're a viperholic!

Hi Drewe, I couldn't work out if it was a sniper pod or the nose wheel door closing. I came to conclusion it was a sniper pod because of it being so far forward.

Guest Drewe
Hi Drewe, I couldn't work out if it was a sniper pod or the nose wheel door closing. I came to conclusion it was a sniper pod because of it being so far forward.

Look below the drop tank, you can see the Sniper's rear mounted cooling intake.

210px-LMT_Sniper_XR.jpg

Paint time.

This is to be very light weathering so no pre-shading to be done.

First the nose cone was gunship gray with a few drops of black, and masked off

Second the light ghost gray FS36375 VAMA050 all over as well as all the hard points, tanks and missiles.

Third the gunship gray FS36118 VAMA053 I like the Vallejo gunship gray as it has the blue hint in it. I then went back to light ghost gray for the area under the cockpit and with the aid of french curves gave me a smooth curve.

F-16C_30_10.jpg

F-16C_30_11.jpg

Next is a coat of Future to seal the paint.

You're doing a great job Phil (what's new? :lol: ), but it's just too clean for me... I know it's at the client's request... A bit of pre-shading never hurt anyone ;)