An experiment in PRU Mauve...

Hi all,

probably my final build for this groupbuild is a Spitfire PR.XIII. It came about when I noticed the new Airfix I/IIA kit includes the round oil cooler to build a Va from the box. I also noticed I had enough PRU blue paint left to do the underside of an airframe, but not the whole thing...

This will be a simple conversion to depict the famously elusive Spitfire PR. MkXIII. I will be using the decals from the Model Alliance 'Photo Reconnaisance Spitfires Pt. 1- Early Merline Engine Schemes'. The aircraft in question is based on what I think is the only photographic evidence of an in service PRXIII (protoype L1004 excluded)

R7335 was built as a Mk Va in 1941, and became a PR.VII (G type- the first low-level armed PR spit) in 1943. As a PR machine it seems first to have been at 8 OTU and then converted to a PR.XIII. Thereafter she was with the Fleet Air Arm, also I believe in use as a trainer aircraft, although accounts on the internet differ.

Therefore, the airfix kit, with Mk Va parts from the same boxing + a Pavla PR type G canopy, leaves the only scratchbuild parts being the various ports for the cameras; it will make for a quick and easy conversion. I have used Eduard colour etch for the Vb to spruce up the interior, but otherwise, it's out of the box!

Camera glass from clear sprue. Strong joint- no way these are going to get popped out when I mask them!

DSC03062.jpg

DSC03063.jpg

The cockpit looks dark (and dusty!) here- it is my usual mix of Humbrol 187 and various leftover greys which I use for cockpit green/grey. Works for me.

DSC03064.jpg

DSC03065.jpg

Bit of bother attaching the wing...

DSC03067.jpg

Stay tuned for deliberations on PRU Mauve paint...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After a couple of weeks of almost back-to-back foreign travel, I thought upon my return I might as well take up the hosts' offer to carry on with threads even though the groupbuild is finished. After a bit of final assembly (the pavla canopy was supposedly designed for the new spitfire, but it doesnt fit very much better than the one they design for the old one!)... I got the FAA dark slate grey on my spitfire- a colour I think really suits it- much more so than dark earth in my opinion! I used xtracolor for the first time- v. nice paint.

I then applied what I believe is described by pro modellers as 'post shading' i.e. highlighting the middle of each panel with a lightened version of the same colour. I deliberately over did this in the hope that it looks like a weather beaten finish. Indeed, the photos of these Naval PR spits suggest a very worn finish- they were not looked after at all well I think!

P1000628.jpg

Looking rather fetching with it's spatted undercarriage in this shot...

P1000627.jpg

Next up- repeat the process with the extra dark sea grey.

Will

• Like 1