Revell 1/48 B17F Memphis Belle

Pedrovski

Well there I was the other day trawling fleabay like you do...

...and I made an offer on...well this:

pix2002.jpg

OMG what have I done?!!!!! :deadhorse:

The instructions are fullsome...basically "well done for your purchase and if it all goes pete tong don't call us" :banghead:

Can you guess what its a kit of? Brownie points to the first correct guess and to "diamond9" Gary you can't answer cos you know already!

It looks like a Supermarine Attacker to me. Is it the Falcon one?

I too have a box full of vacforms (some excellent, some awful) that get spread out on the floor every now and then. And then put away again. One day, one day...

Andy

It looks like a Supermarine Attacker to me. Is it the Falcon one?

I too have a box full of vacforms (some excellent, some awful) that get spread out on the floor every now and then. And then put away again. One day, one day...

Andy

Got it in one Andy, well done that man :cheers:

Its my first ever vacform and I must admit to being a bit daunted by it now I've seen it in the flesh. There is a drawing and some quite brief instructions but if anyone can offer advice on the build I'd be much obliged.

Great looking work Pete!

Ted

Thanks Ted :)

All that talent and it turns out your actually quite mad sir !!

Vac-forming is some kind of witchcraft! Thin, stealthy glue-resistant sorcery !!

:analintruder:

All that talent and it turns out your actually quite mad sir !!

Vac-forming is some kind of witchcraft! Thin, stealthy glue-resistant sorcery !!

:analintruder:

...as a hatter :rofl:

I've been on a horrible shift pattern so the builds going slowly atm. Be doing a bit this weekend and I can't wait :bounce::bounce:

Pictureless update today folks lots of small parts.

I've made up the small desk lamp for the navigator from fuse wire and some spare sprue that I always keep hold of. I've made seats from asda plastic stock (he he he) and styrene square section strip for all three auxilliary positions with seat belts out of Tamiya tape. More bulkheads panels have been made from layers of Asda plastic stock stuck together and cut to shape when dry then painted. Doors have been made from Balsa, painted and now ready to be put in place.

I'm learning loads as I go along which is the idea I guess and I'm taking much time to look through all the other bomber builds as they go.

Managed to finish mine and missed loads of bits..... typical !! All I wanted was to put one aerial wire on, turns out there was up to six or so !

How progress, or have you been driven daft with that vac-form ??!!

Si.

Edited by Dr.Jellyfingers

I'm learning loads as I go along which is the idea I guess and I'm taking much time to look through all the other bomber builds as they go.

Yes, me too. In fact I'm spending ages watching what other folks are up to and the thinking "Doh, I wish I'd been working on mine". lol. In fact it's really nice to be modelling as a social experience instead of doing it all on my ownsome.

Thanks peeps,

Managed to finish mine and missed loads of bits..... typical !! All I wanted was to put one aerial wire on, turns out there was up to six or so !

How progress, or have you been driven daft with that vac-form ??!!

Si.

Well done that man! Yours is truely awesome and if anyone looking in here hasn't seen yours then they should go here to see how its really done. I've nicked plenty of your ideas buddy :whistle:

As for mine, I HAVE been making progress and taking pics but our bandwidth at home varies a lot and recently its not been good enough to upload pics. :badmood: BT are rubbish. Promise to get the updates on here when our broadband allows peeps :sorry:

Edited by Pedrovski

Righto, scratch seats in for bombadier and nav with seatbelts out of Tamiya tape. Navs table out of balsa, with table lamp out of fuse wire and sprue and painted silver grey. Oh and a little map on the navs desk :bounce:

pix006.jpg

Tamiya tape 'belts on drivers seat and his assistant. Tried to give my balsa floor a weathered look. Scratch panels on bulkheads, balsa door and canisters and pipes on wall behind door. Oh, and document pouches on the back of each seat. Control columns pushed forward slightly as I plan to have the elevators droopy. My current skill levels don't go to showing "actual" panels but I hope these give an idea of whats going on inside a B17F.

pix005.jpg

Thanks guys. I may well have a minor disaster on my hands though. All the work I've done with the ribs and stringers will (I think) give me an issue with the fuse windows. Nothing that can't be rectified but an indication that my ambition currently outways my talent :hanging: I will improve though.

Honestly Pete this is a cracking build mate, your interior detailing is really neat.

I had similar isues with the front 'three-in-a-row' windows, ended up carefully removing the individual windows which do actually fit reasonably well in the fuse' on their own.

I used Poly-Zap Pt22 CA which is for clear stuff, dries clear, non-fog and remains a little flexible which was sort of usefull for poking the guns through later.

P.S. If you havent already tried it, MetalCoat 27003 worked well for the engine and guns, polish to a shine or matt & weather, looks like real steel !!

Si.

More progress today: Radio operators room/area underway. Bulkhead in (Asda ice cream tub), floor in (balsa) with long hatchway (sanding stick cut and shaped) Seat in (Asda ice cream tub/sprue/Tamiya tape) Main wiring loom in with glue drying.

pix2001.jpg

pix2005.jpg

Trying to replicate the ammo boxes atop the ball turret. Feeds go down into the ball turret itself difficult to achieve with this kit as swivel mechanism gets in the way:

pix2004.jpg

Trying to get to this (well a representation of it anyhoo)

DSC_0422B-17GN93012Nine-O-Nineinteriorballturretl.jpg

Getting really stuck into this now :hobbyhorse:

You are coming up to one of the great moments for me - closing the fuselage! I love that point in the build because by then I'm heartily sick of the fiddly bits and want to get on with some painting.

It's looking good!

You could make it almost as seen in the real deal, I toyed with the idea of removing the socket from the swivel bit and epoxying it to the roof above via a bit of flat scrap then extending the turret tube with some sprue.

This would then give you the space to put the ammo boxes right on the yoke as on the real one, nice bit of SCSI cable for feed chutes and sorted !!

Wish I'd done that now !!

Si.

You could make it almost as seen in the real deal, I toyed with the idea of removing the socket from the swivel bit and epoxying it to the roof above via a bit of flat scrap then extending the turret tube with some sprue.

This would then give you the space to put the ammo boxes right on the yoke as on the real one, nice bit of SCSI cable for feed chutes and sorted !!

Wish I'd done that now !!

:bleh::tease:

Great idea with the 'puter cable. I might just 'ave some somewhere.....

You are coming up to one of the great moments for me - closing the fuselage! I love that point in the build because by then I'm heartily sick of the fiddly bits and want to get on with some painting.

It's looking good!

I lurve the fiddly bits Don!

Cheers for the encouragement chaps it helps really it does.

Edited by Pedrovski

Let me know if you need any, its the really small scsi that I used, seems to be just right for 1:48, I can easily spare some if you have none.

Si.

Let me know if you need any, its the really small scsi that I used, seems to be just right for 1:48, I can easily spare some if you have none.

Si.

Thanks Si :kissing2:LOL!!, but I've just found some. Well actually nicked some out of an old PC we have in the shed. Managed to find two sizes so I guess two calibres if I need it. I presume you just cut accross the cores or ribbon at the width you need?

Si.

And thanks from me. I'll be needing ammo feeds too and I know where there's a dead PC. Oh how I love a new tech tip!

I lurve the fiddly bits Don!

Yeah, so do I for a while, but then the next stage beckons beguilingly and then, just as I'm getting tired of painting, along comes decaling, and so forth, right up to the blowing it up with fireworks part!

Some more completed this afternoon/evening. Mainly the mid gunners positions and around the ball turret area (all balsa cut to shape). Switch panel placed in the tail gunners position at the end of the main loom

pix4004.jpg

pix4005.jpg

Ball turret mechanism with Si's (Dr.jellyfingers) inspired scuzzy ribbon shell/cartridge wossname

pix4001.jpg

Nighty night now I'm on first bus tomorrow up at 3AM :sleeping:

The only time I'm up at 3 AM is if I've soiled the bed.......am I saying this out loud ??!!!!

Humbrol's Metalcoat works very well on the cable, no cracking or flaking.

Love the real wood floors, and most of it should be visable too.

Your making me want another one :suicide::yikes: !

Si.

Edited by Dr.Jellyfingers