What can anyone tell me about the Pyro / Inpact 1/48 Bristol Bulldog

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Nice kit, seems very accurate, bit sparse on cockpit detail (I have photos of the RAF Museum rebuild, if you need some.) Build it with confidence; I built it as a new release, and enjoyed every moment, (except the rigging.)

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Image-0ADC18A8CCA511DA.jpg

Sorry - this is the only pic I have online at the moment. It's a superb kit - light years ahead of the Smer/Merit offering. The engineering and fit are excellent, and the detail puts many a modern kit to shame. You can make the rigging as hard or as easy for yourself as you like. If you do it the way the instructions have it, it is easy, believe me. I used lycra thread instead of the cotton they recommend, but otherwise, it's done with four threads. I painted the LOWER surface of the top wing, and the TOP surface of the lower wing, and left the other surface unpainted. Then I drilled very small holes through the wings, exactly as instructed, then armed myself with a number of "pegs" made of tapered stretched sprue. You fix one end of each thread as instructed (usually in the fuselage), and then follow the clear, written instructions, running the thread through one drilled hole after another in order, which leaves thread crossing the outer wing surfaces. When you get to the last one, pull the thread through tight, and shove a peg into the hole from the "outside" to hold the thread. Then, for each intermediate hole, trial fit a peg - you'll see a spike poking out of the painted inner surface of the wing. Clip it off carefully - with sidecutters? - so as not to damage the thread, then pull it back out. Trim off another 0.5mm or so, and put it back. If the spike is still visible, pull it out and trim a bit more. Once you're happy that it's firm and not sticking out at all, do the same for the next peg, and so on, until finally you trim the "last" peg that was holding everything tight. When they are all trimmed to length, you'll end up with a forest of conical "mushrooms" sticking out of the "outer" surfaces of the wings. Put a drop of liquid cement at the base of each peg on the outer surface and leave to dry thoroughly. When they're dry, trim flush with a new sharp scalpel, and away will come the excess threads and pegs. If you've been lucky, you won't even need a dab of filler - the "holes" will be completely invisible. If not a tiny dab of filler wiped away after drying with nail varnish remover will do the trick...

This technique worked so well for me on the Inpact Fury, Bulldog and Gladiator that I've spent quite some time trying to figure out the "threading order" to achieve the same on the Eduard Camel and Brisfit kits...

The decals in the Inpact kit are likely unusable. The only good thing about the Smer repop of the Merit kit is the decals, and those very nice folks at Smer sent me a set within a week of me emailing them to ask for them, though frankly the kit is cheaper than aftermarket sets, so you could just buy one!

If you know which one you want, I'd be happy to let you have some of the Bulldog markings from my Model Alliance set - I'm not going to make four Bulldogs, two Furies and two Gauntlets any time soon!

best regards,

matt

Sorry - this is the only pic I have online at the moment. It's a superb kit - light years ahead of the Smer/Merit offering. The engineering and fit are excellent, and the detail puts many a modern kit to shame. You can make the rigging as hard or as easy for yourself as you like. If you do it the way the instructions have it, it is easy, believe me. I used lycra thread instead of the cotton they recommend, but otherwise, it's done with four threads. I painted the LOWER surface of the top wing, and the TOP surface of the lower wing, and left the other surface unpainted. Then I drilled very small holes through the wings, exactly as instructed, then armed myself with a number of "pegs" made of tapered stretched sprue. You fix one end of each thread as instructed (usually in the fuselage), and then follow the clear, written instructions, running the thread through one drilled hole after another in order, which leaves thread crossing the outer wing surfaces. When you get to the last one, pull the thread through tight, and shove a peg into the hole from the "outside" to hold the thread. Then, for each intermediate hole, trial fit a peg - you'll see a spike poking out of the painted inner surface of the wing. Clip it off carefully - with sidecutters? - so as not to damage the thread, then pull it back out. Trim off another 0.5mm or so, and put it back. If the spike is still visible, pull it out and trim a bit more. Once you're happy that it's firm and not sticking out at all, do the same for the next peg, and so on, until finally you trim the "last" peg that was holding everything tight. When they are all trimmed to length, you'll end up with a forest of conical "mushrooms" sticking out of the "outer" surfaces of the wings. Put a drop of liquid cement at the base of each peg on the outer surface and leave to dry thoroughly. When they're dry, trim flush with a new sharp scalpel, and away will come the excess threads and pegs. If you've been lucky, you won't even need a dab of filler - the "holes" will be completely invisible. If not a tiny dab of filler wiped away after drying with nail varnish remover will do the trick...

This technique worked so well for me on the Inpact Fury, Bulldog and Gladiator that I've spent quite some time trying to figure out the "threading order" to achieve the same on the Eduard Camel and Brisfit kits...

The decals in the Inpact kit are likely unusable. The only good thing about the Smer repop of the Merit kit is the decals, and those very nice folks at Smer sent me a set within a week of me emailing them to ask for them, though frankly the kit is cheaper than aftermarket sets, so you could just buy one!

If you know which one you want, I'd be happy to let you have some of the Bulldog markings from my Model Alliance set - I'm not going to make four Bulldogs, two Furies and two Gauntlets any time soon!

best regards,

matt

Hi Matt -= bit too alger hissed to reply to your excellent post - but will read when sober and give you the reply it deserves

Ta - 1 to the 8'edly

Jon KT

best I can do now hic

Nice kit, seems very accurate, bit sparse on cockpit detail (I have photos of the RAF Museum rebuild, if you need some.) Build it with confidence; I built it as a new release, and enjoyed every moment, (except the rigging.)

Edgar

Edgar,

I've just got back from visiting Madame's family in Brittany and saw your post - Am heading Bulldogwards after the Gauntlet, so would really appreciate seeing any cockpit internals you have (I'm sure Jon will also if/when he's sobered up!!!)

Ta in advance!

• 1 year later...

best regards,

matt

After reading several articles about rigging biplanes ,this one sounds very easy. I will have to give it a trial. I have several of the Inpact/ Pyro/Lindberg kits in various stages of construction and having a good method of rigging them will be a great help. Thanks for the post. Carl T

Edgar,

I've just got back from visiting Madame's family in Brittany and saw your post - Am heading Bulldogwards after the Gauntlet, so would really appreciate seeing any cockpit internals you have (I'm sure Jon will also if/when he's sobered up!!!)

Ta in advance!

Sorry, Rowan, I sem to have missed this one, completely; if you still need stuff, let me know.

Edgar

• 2 weeks later...