Airfix 1/72 Martin B-26 Marauder

I do like these golden oldies. Can't wait to get started, though on current form I probably won't get it finished on time.

Will be finished as Marauder Mk.II FB484/V 12 Sqn `Viking' SAAF Italy 1944-5 from Xtradecal sheet 72104.

Andy

Edited by It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Good pick, sometimes the old ones are better...trip down memory lane, and all of that..!

Cheers,

ggc

This looks like a 'mission' - classic plastic and a shed load of aftermarket stuff, some of which is designed to fit another kit! :)

Time to get my popcorn :popcorn:

Cliff

The Airfix B-26 is a beauty of a kit, only tricky area is the engine/cowl fit, other than that it has a pretty comprehensive interior and - gasp! - some recessed panel details (and ultra fine raised). Given this came out within a few years of the A-26 kit, it was a real leap forward.

Well, it's been a couple of days now so time for a WIP photo:

PICT0529.jpg

Impressively for an Airfix kit of this age, the build is broken down into a series of sub-assemblies so that the mating of the fuselage halves happens quite late in the process. The photo-etch has been a joy to use so far and is much more forgiving of my (lack of) skills than brass would be. Interestingly, although the label says it is for the Italeri/Dragon kit, all the original kit part numbers have been the same and all the measurements correspond (this is most evident in the navigator's floor which fits precisely). If the I/D kit did not use the same moulds, they must have been awfully similar to the Airfix ones.

Can't wait to start getting some paint on.

Andy

That bomb bay detail is impressive for an airfix kit of that era. I must admit when I saw the age of the kit I wondered why anyone would go to the effort of putting aftermarket stuff on it. I feel a little silly- it should dress up very nicely!

Will

That bomb bay detail is impressive for an airfix kit of that era.

Yes, the wheelwell and bomb bay detail is impressive. It's a pity, and a bit surprising, that Airfix put so much effort into detailing the undersides which won't be seen instead of into the cockpit where it would be (eg some sidewall detail would have been nice). Maybe the money ran out. Still one of my favourite old-time Airfix kits though.

Bit more WIP. For the dorsal turret I've decided to use the kit bucket with the etch gun mountings. I've even figured out a way to roll the etch barrels :-

PICT0531.jpgPICT0532.jpgPICT0571.jpg

The .50 cals have turned out quite nicely. The .5mm brass wire will provide a secure mounting for final assembly. Sorry about the photos; macro mode is merciless when it comes to camera shake.

Here's a test fit to check the amount of nose weight. I read somewhere that Airfix recommend 12g in the navigator's position and this is just about enough:

PICT0533.jpg

I'm going to put another couple of grams in each of the nacelles as well to be on the safe side. I'm going to take a break from the photoetch now and concentrate on the engines.

Andy

First kit I ever used filler on - Miliput - back in whatever year it was first released ('73 / '74 ?)... Good luck, will be watching this one.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody, time for a bit of an update. I'm back on the straight and narrow after a significant detour into the dark side, worse even than Pedrovski Pete's - I've spent the time building a card model of HMS Sheffield (ww2 vintage)!

However, the Marauder hasn't been forgotten. Most of the internals have been completed and it's almost time to button 'er up:

PICT0604.jpg

PICT0603.jpg

PICT0606.jpg

PICT0605.jpg

PICT0601.jpg

The etch details make a big difference in the cockpit and bomb bay. Hopefully it will be visible through the vac transparencies. Putting it all in situ certainly gives you a feel for how every inch of space was used.

PICT0609.jpg

Just the tail guns to install and then it'll be time for the nerve-wracking closing of the fuselage.

Andy

• Like 1

Yes, the wheelwell and bomb bay detail is impressive. It's a pity, and a bit surprising, that Airfix put so much effort into detailing the undersides which won't be seen instead of into the cockpit where it would be (eg some sidewall detail would have been nice). Maybe the money ran out. Still one of my favourite old-time Airfix kits though.

Maybe they expected the finished items to be on display hanging from the ceiling?

I want to say how impressed I am by your handling of the brass. Those seats! That Bomb rack! In 72 scale it's superb. The ultimate in fiddley bits!

Incidentally, how did the Sheffield turn out?

Thanks Don, Pete. Concentrating on the dorsal turret at the moment and then it'll be time to put it all together. More pics soon.

Andy

P.S. I'm very pleased with the way the Sheffield turned out for a first attempt but I don't think I'll be attempting the Modelik Hood anytime soon. SWMBO would take a very dim view of me hanging the Marauder from the ceiling and as I wouldn't want to join it up there it'll be staying firmly on its wheels.

Edited by It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

• 3 weeks later...

Just when you thought I had finally succumbed to the fumes, I return with proof that I haven't been completely idle after all :sleep_1: . Major construction is complete, masking is on and the primer coat has been applied. There were just a few areas to touch up with Mr. Surfacer and now it all needs to harden up before a final polish and the colour coats.

Sorry about the picture: bad light = grainy pic.

PICT0613.jpg

Now, if I can only stay away from the paper warships I might get this mostly finished this week.

Cheers

Andy