Freightdog P.1154

mikeew

Hi All,

I have been asked to build and review this test shot/pre-production copy of the Freightdog P.1154 for SAMI via Colin@Freightdog. Thanks for the kudos Colin :thumbsup2:

I was given this at Telford and have finally got round to cleaning it up and getting rid of the mould pouring stubs etc.

All moulding stubs are very minimal and take a small amount of sawing with a razor saw for the bigger ones, the others simply sanded of with 400 grit wet n dry with copious amounts of water.

Here is a shot of the contents of the box, I have no instructions being a pre-production copy. That said there are relatively few parts and its more or less self explanatory. The decals are superbly printed and have excellent registration and density. As you can see, there are separate exhaust nozzles which very nicely moulded, as are the intake side panels, though on closer inspection these look to need a fair amount of filling and smoothing to get a smooth joint transition. The rear of the centreline fuel tank is moulded short, nothing a bit of milliput can't solve though.

IMG_0012.jpg

I cleaned up the fuselage and glued it together and cleaned up the joint. The undersides were worse than the upper sides, but again, nothing a small amount of sanding didn't sort out. This did result in the loss of some of the finely moulded recessed details and panel lines, but these can be rescribed.

WIP002.jpg

WIP003.jpg

WIP004.jpg

more to follow. :speak_cool:

Edited by mikeew

Following with intrest...
Same here, I think I'll have to get a couple.
Very nice to see kestrels, I was thinking about it just the other day. Do a bang up job mate.
Not Kestrel Clif, Harrier. The Harrier as we know it (P.1127(RAF)) inherited the name from the P.1154 (or HS.1154)..

:viking:

Damn!!!..............I thought I read some place that the original name for the prog was "kestrel"....must 'ave been the morphine :wacko:

Damn!!!..............I thought I read some place that the original name for the prog was "kestrel"....must 'ave been the morphine :wacko:
Well, it was :) The P.1127s that was used for the tri-partite programme (UK, US, FRG) were Kestrel FGA.(err...)1(? :confused: ). Harrier was allocated to the HS.1154 but that got canned. Then the P.1127 was developed into the P.1127(RAF) and inherited the name from the HS.1154, becoming the Harrier GR.1. Confused yet? :lol:

Well, it was :) The P.1127s that was used for the tri-partite programme (UK, US, FRG) were Kestrel FGA.(err...)1(? :confused: ). Harrier was allocated to the HS.1154 but that got canned. Then the P.1127 was developed into the P.1127(RAF) and inherited the name from the HS.1154, becoming the Harrier GR.1. Confused yet? :lol:

I was in the Kingston aerodynamics office 1970-74: I saw many of the P.1154 drawings etc but do not recall the name Harrier ever being mentioned in that context. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, but no-one ever suggested it in my hearing.

The Kestrel was different from the P.1127 prototypes, although the last P.1127 had many Kestrel features. Obviously very close relatives, but built as Kestrels and none of the P.1127 aircraft as such took part in the Tripartite programme. At least, not in the trials flying. It may be that some were used for pilot experience: it seems reasonable but I don't know.

AHA!!! ol' Clif isn't as daft as some would have you believe

Check this out the USAF had some interest in said prototype http://thelookinggoodletter.com/wiki/wiki....estrel_USAF.jpg

Edited by Angels49

Check this out the USAF had some interest in said prototype http://thelookinggoodletter.com/wiki/wiki....estrel_USAF.jpg

Does that site have some deliberate word scrambling incorporated in it??? :wacko: or were they really going to call it the Hakwer Sildedley Kertsel?

Names

According to "British Secret Projests:Jet Bombers" by Tony Buttler on P139 referring to the Harrier:-

"Name suggested earlier for the P1154 were Falcon, Peregrine and Harrier, favoured in that order"

So Falcon would be the name to select for the P1154 without people confusing it for its little brother.

Cheers

Geoff

Edited by Geoff_B

The US Army were also considering the P1127/Kestrel for their close air support aircaft along with the Fiat G-91 and A-4 Skyhawk until the US Air Force nicked the role off them and banned them from fixed wing strike aircraft (ungreatful child :angrysoapbox.sml: )

G

Names

According to "British Secret Projests:Jet Bombers" by Tony Buttler on P139 referring to the Harrier:-

"Name suggested earlier for the P1154 were Falcon, Peregrine and Harrier, favoured in that order"

So Falcon would be the name to select for the P1154 without people confusing it for its little brother.

Cheers

Geoff

According to Harrier by Bill Sweetman, p19, "The name Harrier - a hovering bird of prey, like the Kestrel - had been chosen for the production aircraft, and the RAF needed about 150 of the type".

Does that site have some deliberate word scrambling incorporated in it??? :wacko: or were they really going to call it the Hakwer Sildedley Kertsel?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Co. is Hawker-Siddeley (will check the web). That is either one of the world's worse proofreading efforts or a dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac lying awake still wondering if there is a Dog. To post something on the web with those errors in borderline insulting if not over the border.

According to Harrier by Bill Sweetman, p19, "The name Harrier - a hovering bird of prey, like the Kestrel - had been chosen for the production aircraft, and the RAF needed about 150 of the type".

Yeap checked Mike Pryce's research and confirms that HARRIER was the selected as the name.

Mike Pryce's 1154 web history

Tonys mention must be from an earlier reference where Falcon was prefered.

Sorry about that

G

Edited by Geoff_B