1/48 Hasegawa GR7 'Operation Telic'

WolvoWill

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=HA09764

Just listed on the Hannants site. Is it too much to hope for a Brit Harrier with the 100% LERX included in the box, and also a TIALD pod with associated pylon? Or will it be just as I expect - the original GR7 kit with a new decal sheet)?

:)

The latter - I'd wager!!!!

Given Hasegawa's propensity for doing the same kit over & over (especially F-XXs) with different decals, I'm with Bill... although it'd be nice to have an accurate one ;)

What is this 100% lerx thing??? dont understand it???? any clews..

Cheers,

Neil

This refers to the Leading Edge Extensions on the wing/fuselage join.Depending on the aircraft serial number RAF Harriers can have either 65 or 100% LERX

The Hasegawa 1/48 GR.7 comes with 65% LERX

HTH

Stephen

LERX = Leading Edge Root Extension! Basically its to do with the shape of the front of the wing at the very top where it meets the fuselage.

Depending on factors that I'm not sure about, but roughly relating to whether the Harrier was an early GR5 airframe that was converted to GR7 and then maybe GR9 (small LERX, 65% area, built with this smaller area part of the wing for reasons unknown) or a later new build one (big LERX, 100% of the area originally called for when the airframe was designed). I've seen photos which seem to suggest airframes that were originally built with the small LERX now have the large one though, and there isn't any easy way of telling what any particular aircraft has what shaped LERX - some GR7s have the big one, some small, and the same goes for GR9s! All GR5s and 5As were small LERX, but then some seem to have been retro-fitted...most confusing!

Anyway, the easiest way to see the differences is from above (have just knocked these up in Paint):

SmallLERX.JPG

BigLERX.JPG

Deciding whether a particular airframe is fitted with a small or big LERX from pictures taken on the ground can be tricky - the big LERX looks more curved from the side, but its a hard call to make with some photos, and its best to make a comparison to check.

Oh, while we are on about Harrier's... Ive got the Hasegawa GR7 to build.. now, the thing is that i want a resin seat for it and looking at the seat used in the F/A 18 Hornet it looks very like the one used in the Harrier GR7.. is it the same sort of seat and are there any true resin seats in 48th scale for the GR7????

Cheers,

Neil

Sorry to but in on this thread

but as some of you know I have a 1/24 GR3

What would I have to do to get it to look like a GR7 or A GR9

My modelling skills are not that great , but all i'd like to do is , to give it the apperance of a newer Harrier

Guest Drewe
Oh, while we are on about Harrier's... Ive got the Hasegawa GR7 to build.. now, the thing is that i want a resin seat for it and looking at the seat used in the F/A 18 Hornet it looks very like the one used in the Harrier GR7.. is it the same sort of seat and are there any true resin seats in 48th scale for the GR7????

Cheers,

Neil

It's definitely not the same seat. The Harrier GR.5/7/9/T.10 use the MB12 seat. one of only three aircraft to use it (for trivia fans the other two are the Mirage VBA "Elkan" MIRSIP and the IDF Ching Kuo). Quite different in overall shape to the MB10/14/16. Check Hannants, I think Aeroclub and probably Airwaves do it in 48th (I know they both do in 72nd)

It's definitely not the same seat. The Harrier GR.5/7/9/T.10 use the MB12 seat. one of only three aircraft to use it (for trivia fans the other two are the Mirage VBA "Elkan" MIRSIP and the IDF Ching Kuo). Quite different in overall shape to the MB10/14/16. Check Hannants, I think Aeroclub and probably Airwaves do it in 48th (I know they both do in 72nd)

The MB 12 is available from Aeroclub and AMRAAM Line.

HTH

Stephen

Sorry to but in on this thread

but as some of you know I have a 1/24 GR3

What would I have to do to get it to look like a GR7 or A GR9

My modelling skills are not that great , but all i'd like to do is , to give it the apperance of a newer Harrier

Its damn complicated, but it has been done, and even a conversion to a T10 is possible - the Harrier SIG proudly displays 1/24 models of both a GR7 and a T10 on its stand (saw them at Telford some years back), amongst the most impressive models I've ever seen frankly!

You need a new forward fuselage and raised cockpit with 'bubble' canopy, lengthened tail with reshaped surfaces, different exhausts, new (extra) weapons pylons, different landing gear, then theres all the details, lumps 'n bumps. Its a Harrier, sure, but so much is new that to make a GR3 into a GR5, 7 or 9 (never mind the two seaters) would require an incredibly expansive and difficult amount of scratch building!

Not to put you off, cos the results when done well are fabolus, but christ does it take lot of work. One for the advanced modeller and then some, in my view :)

I know they've done more than one AV8-B boxing with the big LERX, but it would be nice to have an RAF boxing that had it too - makes building a late model RAF bird fair simpler. The only way to get the part at the moment is to buy the AV8-B Plus Kit and scavenge the big LERX for your GR7/9, but it leaves you with a kit you can't complete then :(. Don't tell Hasegawa I'd do that though, whatever you do! :D

I did notice that Heritage Aviations 1/48 Harrier T10 conversion seems to come with a resin 100% LERX, and I emailed them earlier asking if they'd make it available separately. However I've since discovered that the twin stick Harriers are all 65% LERX, so I think my eyes deceived me when I was looking at their photos earlier :(

I can't stand the look of 100% LERX fitted harriers. Lose all their shape and 'sexiness' (not wanting to sound to creepy)

Those 100% LERX fitted AV8's just look too beefy and ungainly.

Sean, go for it! If you think you have enough reference, time and patience, there's no limits to what you can acheive.

I'm a 100% LERX liker... and if you already have the 100% LERX parts on the other kit, why not just cast a new set in resin? :D

That's what I'd do, and then you'd be able to use both kits :smartass: Don't have resin making gear? Ask someone that does nicely ;)

I know they've done more than one AV8-B boxing with the big LERX, but it would be nice to have an RAF boxing that had it too - makes building a late model RAF bird fair simpler. The only way to get the part at the moment is to buy the AV8-B Plus Kit and scavenge the big LERX for your GR7/9, but it leaves you with a kit you can't complete then :(. Don't tell Hasegawa I'd do that though, whatever you do! :D

I did notice that Heritage Aviations 1/48 Harrier T10 conversion seems to come with a resin 100% LERX, and I emailed them earlier asking if they'd make it available separately. However I've since discovered that the twin stick Harriers are all 65% LERX, so I think my eyes deceived me when I was looking at their photos earlier :(

Will,

Heritage do produce it separately, however as you say it is a 65% LERX. This was done as Heritage made Gr.5/7/T.10 conversions before there were any RAF boxings available, so the only source kit was the AV-8B+ which needed its 100% LERX replacing! I saw you wanted to build a T.10, therefore the best solution is to use the AV-8B+ as a basis and save the 100% LERX for a GR.7! Cheers,

Ed

Another way of spotting the 100% LERX aircraft are the two little intakes on top of the fuselage. This is due to the original intakes on the leading edge of the wing being faired over by the larger LERX (see Wills pics).

Another way of spotting the 100% LERX aircraft are the two little intakes on top of the fuselage. This is due to the original intakes on the leading edge of the wing being faired over by the larger LERX (see Wills pics).

Gives them frog eyes :D

Except so far the GR9s with the 65% LERX have the little intakes added......

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1116604/L/

Incidentally, the reasons for not re-fitting with 100% LERx are cost and operational need - the LERX was developed to add turning/manouvrability

more importantly, hasegawa should have included a flame thrower and club hammer fo :angry: r this kit

It is one S.o.b. and hass many other probs apart from the lerks.

I would dearly love to find the asshole who said this kit was ready for sale and ram it right up his jakksy :analintruder:

The intakes are both innacurate and horrible to assemble, and the wings are wonky- but it does have a lovely litening pod for my F-16 hehee

i need my pills..

Its damn complicated, but it has been done, and even a conversion to a T10 is possible - the Harrier SIG proudly displays 1/24 models of both a GR7 and a T10 on its stand (saw them at Telford some years back), amongst the most impressive models I've ever seen frankly!

You need a new forward fuselage and raised cockpit with 'bubble' canopy, lengthened tail with reshaped surfaces, different exhausts, new (extra) weapons pylons, different landing gear, then theres all the details, lumps 'n bumps. Its a Harrier, sure, but so much is new that to make a GR3 into a GR5, 7 or 9 (never mind the two seaters) would require an incredibly expansive and difficult amount of scratch building!

Not to put you off, cos the results when done well are fabolus, but christ does it take lot of work. One for the advanced modeller and then some, in my view :)

Incidentally the HARSIG's T10 canopy was manufactured from a plastic coke bottle.....

You'll need a lot of Milliput and Plastic card - but its do-able (and No! It wasn't me what converted it......!)