1/48 Hasegawa GR7 'Operation Telic'

WolvoWill

Except so far the GR9s with the 65% LERX have the little intakes added......

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1116604/L/

Incidentally, the reasons for not re-fitting with 100% LERx are cost and operational need - the LERX was developed to add turning/manouvrability

Duuuuuuuuuuuhh!

Well, that used to be the way of indentifying them before the GR.9 - having said that, I'm sure I have a photo of a GR.7 with 65%+intakes somewhere.

Stupid Harriers.

This is(was) the definitive list of the "State of LERX". Compiled by the HARSIG, but prior to the GR9 converison's which may have/will have(!) lobbed a spanner into the staus quo!!!

"Running through the aircraft in serial batches":

ZD318-330, ZD345-355, ZD375-380, ZD400-412, i.e. the original GR.5s, all have 65% LERX.

ZD430-438, ZD461-470, GR.5A>GR.7, all have 65% LERX.

ZG471-ZG476, GR.7, all have 65% LERX; e.g. ZG472 of the Strike Attack Operation Evaluation Unit (WAPJ v32, p108, c.1998?).

ZG477-ZG4480, GR.7, all have 100% LERX; e.g. ZG479/69 the lo-viz sharkmouth of Op Telic.

ZG500-ZG512, GR.7, technically ZG506/77 was the first 100% LERX a/c, the final 18 off the Dunsfold production line getting this fit as part of MOD-95, other a/c in this and the previous batches be subsequently retro-fitted with 100% LERX.

ZG530-ZG533, ZG856-862, GR.7, 100% LERX fitted as standard.

ZH653-665, T.10s, all T.10s have 65% LERX but with the frog-eye fire access points."

(And the little "Frog's eye/intakes" are Fire Access points BTW...........)

(And the little "Frog's eye/intakes" are Fire Access points BTW...........)

I'm looking at some artwork I'm doing right now and you'd think the words "FIRE ACCESS" would be a big enough clue for me.

I have flu and/or I am from the West Midlands. :badmood:

I did notice that Heritage Aviations 1/48 Harrier T10 conversion seems to come with a resin 100% LERX, and I emailed them earlier asking if they'd make it available separately. However I've since discovered that the twin stick Harriers are all 65% LERX, so I think my eyes deceived me when I was looking at their photos earlier :(

In that case, I get the Telic GR.7 with the 65% LERX, take the 100% LERX out of my unbuilt donor AV-8B (I had to take the canopy for my GR.5) and put it on the GR.7, then take the 65% LERX and put it onto the AV-8B, which I'm planning to convert to a T.10.

Its all falling into place....

Here're a couple of shots of my Hasegawa GR7 in Operation telic guide, using MA decals, Flightpath weapons & TIALD pod plus a few other a/m items. Lack of an accurate pylon for the TIALD pod is extremely frustrating & photos are also hard to find. I ended up modifying the kit ventral strake. Probably highly inaccurate but good enough for me!

DSCF1867.jpg

DSCF1870.jpg

DSCF1871.jpg

Nice, pics,

just one thing all UK Paveway II are green, we dont have any grey ones. The paveway kit fits to a standard UK bomb.

If anyone wants a strange looking harrier then UK harriers in the Stan have been flying with 1 x 2000lb Paveway III with various counter balences on the other side, according to the Armourers they look really Weird!

Harriers in the Stan also flying with 1 full 19 round CRV7 pod on one side and 1 x 6 shot training pod on the other side. The 6 shot pod is set to single shot and the 19 to ripple.

I have some pics of training CRV7 pods as well as Paveway II (Legacy & Non Legacy), III & IV.

Julien

Don't suppose you have any pics of the Harriers carrying Paveway IIIs do you? Photos seem few and far between but its a mean looking loadout (fuel tanks carried outboard and two 2000lb'ers on the inner pylons). Not sure if they can carry Sidewinders with that setup though.

Any photos of Enhanced Paveway IIs would be gratefully received as well :)

Don't suppose you have any pics of the Harriers carrying Paveway IIIs do you? Photos seem few and far between but its a mean looking loadout (fuel tanks carried outboard and two 2000lb'ers on the inner pylons). Not sure if they can carry Sidewinders with that setup though.

Any photos of Enhanced Paveway IIs would be gratefully received as well :)

According to the armours they mostly only carry one 2000Lber not 2.

As for the paveways, ask and ye shall get

EnhancedPavewayII.jpg

EnhancedPavewayIIFront.jpg

EnhamcedPavewayIIRear.jpg

Let me have your snail mail if you want a full set.

Julien :D

Nice! :) Wouldn't mind seeing the full set - am planning on modding some flightpath or airfix GBU's to 'enhanced' status for use on a Tornado GR4 but haven't yet been able to find detailed enough pictures of the cable conduit on the sides. You mention snail mail? Do you mean that or email? If the latter, [email protected] if you'd be so kind!

Many thanks :)

The cable conduit is the green plastic thing on the left of the bomb (facing away I am sorry to say) you can see the begining profile in the shot of the head, then it is just a channel shape, is held to the bomb by thise 2 large jubilee clips you see (high tech or what) :yikes: (I think the contractor who supplied then called them modular circular screw fasteners or some other man-vegetables! probably charged the RAF £100 each each!

The GPS antenna is the green round thing in top of the front vanes unit. Thats the extent of the mods!

Will get those pics to you.

Julien

Nice, pics,

just one thing all UK Paveway II are green, we dont have any grey ones. The paveway kit fits to a standard UK bomb.

Julien

Yes proably right. I took the colours from the illustrations in the MA "Operation Telic" book which showed them in green, grey & pink (I couldn't bring myself to do that!).

Its interesting to note that Paveway II & III are green bombs as standard with the Yellow stripe indicating "LIVE"

Paveway IV which is a US 500Lb bomb is grey, has a yellow band for live and blue one for practice,

Julien

• 2 weeks later...

For your info guys the markings in the Telic kit will be as follows:

4 Sq No 91 : ZG859

SAOEU No 69 : ZG479

1 Sq No75 : ZG504

All three of these machines have the 100% LERX but according to my list the kit will just be the previous GR7 release PT36 (07236) plus the new decals :rant: