IL2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey & Apache on Xbox 360

Mike

I've just been looking at Amazon's under £15 game sale, and was wondering if these would be any good. I'm not after a certifiable flight sim game, but something a little less arcade-like.

I got my copy for the princely sum of $7 in the US Navy Exchange in Norfolk last year, pre-owned :)

The graphics and sound are pretty good, and it looks great on a large HD screen. It's most definitely not a flight sim, definitely leaning more to the arcade side of things. Once you have completed the game it unlocks a "simulation mode" where it's a lot less forgiving and you don't have all the crutches of the arcade mode.

The narration is done by the actor who plays the Soviet ambassador in Hunt For Red October and the arch bad guy in Lethal Weapon 2 :)

I'd say it's worth it for 15 quid, at the very least you'll get a few hours enjoyment out of it.

...as opposed to the utter shambles that IL-2 Cliffs of Dover was on release last month, and still has a *long* way to go...

Hi Mike,

Ive played Apache: Air Assault, well worth getting for under £15. Its tricky to master but its an Arcade/Simulation so don't expect to be blown away with flight physics!

Its sill a good blast though!

Adam

• 2 years later...

Sturmovik is best on medium (realistic) but also has simulator mode and arcade mode, for 11 quid on the xbox games on demand it is excellent value for money, and also includes information about all the aircraft in the game.

Hi Mike, I have Apache and it is a good arcade style flt sim. You can be either the Apache or Hind and if you just want to blast tanks etc with guns/missiles it does the job very well, but MS Flt Sim it aint......Ace Combat is quite good too..............Enjoy it...........Smudge