250 Sqn Kittyhawk 1a flown by Norwegian Kåre M. Kopperud

Kyrre

Edit: This should be in the in-progress-sub-forum. Could someone move it for me?

Several Norwegians flew with British squadrons in Africa. One Kåre M. Kopperud flew with 250 Sqn starting with Kittyhawk 1's moving on to III's and IV's. Pictures exist of Kopperud and his late Kittyhawk with personal emblem but to my knowledge no pictures have appeared showing his early birds.

Stein Meum (was active on the RAF-forum back in the days) has helped me get som serials for Kittyhawk 1a's flown by Kopperud so I'm going to build one of them. The project stalled when I realised I had to get hold of a 250 Sqn Arrow and then an American net-buddy came to the rescue with decals from the Amtech kit. Printed by Microscale they look quite nice.

Kit is Hasegawa and while there are lovely details all around I really don't like the way the kit layout has ended up in too many modules due to inter-kitability. I think the picture illustrates what needs to be illustrated. The kit? Details? 8 out of 10. Buildability? I'll give it a 6. Disappointing for a rather new kit.

df7ca814.jpg

Edited by Kyrre

So much for a Ju88 kick, eh...?;)

This was done while waiting for the book you sent me. Meanwhile I've worked on two Ju88's though I haven't closed up any fuselages so can't be bothered showing pics. So there. :analintruder:

What? You're not superdetailing the interior of the 88s before painting them black and then closing the canopy?

Looks like you're progressing well with the Kittyhawk, and looking forward to seeing a desert RAF aircraft with a Norwegian connection.

Jens

My days as cockpit superdetailer are over. If they were ever there... Decals if possible, a we bit of drybrushing and some tamiya tape seat belts will do for me. At least in 1:72 and 48.

K

looking good Kyrre

Hell - if it was easy it would be boring eh ?

The rivet detail behind the headrest looks very pronounced - was it really like that ?

Makes you feel good when you get to that stage- dont it!

I would strongly reccomend you think about the side windows before you start painting, they are sons of beeeches and :shithappens: when you start sticking them in :closedeyes:

Cant wait to see it finished

I was thinking about glueing them in place with Klear but I will do some dryfitting and see what works best. Problem is I guess that the capillary effect will smear whatever I'd be using on the inside.

Skii, I'm not really sure about the prominence of the inside rivets. I was thinking about cutting them down altogether and perhaps just draw in new ones with a pencil. Decisions, decisions...

K

Klear is probably your best friend for gluing the sisewindows in, but use it sparingly and it will just touch the edges of the glass. don't see any other way of doing it other than vacuumforming a complere rear section with the window in place and then build up the inside from the kit. But then you might just as well detail the cockpit:)

Jens

What I have done- (my model will soon be painted) is in the end I couldnt live with those rivets- so i started by rubbing them down to just leave a trace, most satisfying.

I worked out that I could carefully scrape away much of the "ledge" at the lower side of the window recess- hopefully this has the effect of lessening the way the cement(or whatevr) will lay against the back of the lower window once in place.

I have also found that with careful scraping one can reduce the thickness of the window panel from the INSIDE! this will help..

but- :shithappens: and I broke one... :tapedshut:

Amongst many other things that were sprayed yesterday, I painted the interior of my Hasegawa P-40E as well. I have agonised over those rivets on the quarter panel, they are there on the real thing just nowhere near as prominent. I'm just going to paint the area in the camouflage colour (same as yours - 112 Sqn aircraft), and see how it looks. If I'm not happy, than it's an easy enough job to remove the clear panel, and rub down/re-spray.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Afternoon, Kyrre

Any progress, c'mon, let's see where you're up to !

Ian

All mod'ling projects on halt the last weeks... nice weather and stuff to sort out in the home department. But inspiration is flowing and I'm about to pick it up again. We shall see...

K