Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb Trop

Since I can almost never seem to keep just one kit on the bench at any one time, I thought it was time for a RAF bird to join the collection. Now, I'm about as far from an expert on Spitfires as you can get, so this is box stock with the exception of an Eduard interior set to dress things up just a little bit.

This 1/48 Tamiya kit seems to be a very nice fit and is going together nicely so far. I just got some paint on the interior last night, the cockpit is getting finishing touches now and it;s very possible that she'll be ready for primer tomorrow. A very nice diversion from the Phantom which is taking forever.

Hopefully I won't embarrass myself too badly with my first British build on Britmodeller....

Interior1800x.jpg

Nice looking interior Dave. I like desert camo so will keep an eye out for this one.

cheers

Grant

Thanks Grant. Hopefully it won't disappoint. This will be my first attempt at a camo like this so my fingers are crossed.

In other news...

I recently decided to give Jay's sanding sponges from Mastercasters a go. Oh my GOD. :shocked: I had read lots of raves, which was why I decided to give them a try, but they're even better than advertised. That miracle polishing stick is just that!! Anyone who hasn't tried them simply must. I've been ruined for all other sanders.....

More pics should go up in a few hours. This little kit is all but building itself!

Edited by David_in_Fremont

I've made a surprising amount of progress in one day!

The fit of this kit is really, really nice. So far it seems it won't need filler anywhere! The join of the fuselage and upper wing is a little snug and will take a small bit of work to get just right, but hardly anything comparatively. I forgot to dip the clear parts in Future last night so I'll have to pause at some point soon just to let those dry. Otherwise I'd be in primer by the end of the day!

It's a real treat to not have the kit fighting me every step.....

Here's the completed cockpit prior to installation:

Belts1800x.jpg

The instrument panel. This is the Eduard IP with some clear glue to add a glass effect to the dials:

IPflash2800x.jpg

And the office installed in the fuselage:

FuseClosed800x.jpg

I'm having a blast with this build!

Hope you like.....

Thanks for all the kind words!

I finally got some paint on this bird today, though I'm not completely sure if I like it....

This is my first ever attempt at a camo scheme like this. I used poster putty to mask off the different colors and am pretty happy with the demarcation lines it produced.

Looks silly while it's on though!

PuttyOne800x.jpg

There is touching-up to do, but what I'm not sure of is whether the pattern is remotely authentic? I really just guessed.

Camo1800x.jpg

Please share your thoughts, good or bad!

Thanks,

David

Thanks for all the kind words!

I finally got some paint on this bird today, though I'm not completely sure if I like it....

This is my first ever attempt at a camo scheme like this. I used poster putty to mask off the different colors and am pretty happy with the demarcation lines it produced.

Looks silly while it's on though!

There is touching-up to do, but what I'm not sure of is whether the pattern is remotely authentic? I really just guessed.

Please share your thoughts, good or bad!

Thanks,

David

G'day David

Looking very nice indeed, some of those Tamiya kits really are a delight to assemble.

re: your q' about the camo, most Brit aircraft were painted according to a standard camouflage pattern, with the main variances being the colours used, the 'order' of the colours (i.e. sometimes the topside colours were reversed), or sometimes the pattern was mirrored. I can't place my sticky mitts on my ref's just now, but I'm sure someone here will have the appropriate pattern to hand. And of course, there will be exceptions to all of the above...

HTH

Mike in Aotearoa

Edited by Mike in Aotearoa

The more I looked at this, the more I wanted to change the camo to bring it more in-line with others that I've seen. Since I didn't want to do everything over I modified what was already there.

Purists will probably still be unhappy but I think it's closer to the right pattern.

Camo2800x.jpg

Camo3800x.jpg

This is the first I've used Xtracrylix paints and I really like the results. Since they go on glossy I think I can skip the Future (Klear) coat and go straight to decals.

Hope you like!

Phil Flory RULES.

Since I never have before I wanted to try the new Promodeller weathering wash that Flory has on the market.

Best. Thing. EVER. At least for doing panel washes! :wub:

This was just from messing around with it for a few minutes tonight:

Wash on..

Wash2800x.jpg

Wash off.. (Why do I feel like the Karate Kid?)

WashOff2800x.jpg

Does this stuff have a shelf life? 'Cause if it lasts, I'm buying by the barrel!

Thanks Karl!

In case anyone was wondering what the daft Yankee was thinking doing the panel line wash prior to decals, there was a method to my madness. I got a set of stencils for the Spit from HobbyDecal (dry-transfer) and was concerned that the water-based wash might make some of that ink run. Once the markings are all on and a matte coat applied I'll go back over the decals to weather them as well. Sounds like a good idea in my head at least!

Thankfully I did get those stencils, because the Tamiya decals are thick. It took a lot of MicroSol to get them to settle, and even then I took a knife to them to bring the panel lines back. Took a lot of work but I think they're looking nice now. I just wish there were more dry-transfer sets available!

DecalsTwo800x.jpg

DecalsOne800x.jpg

I know, I'm jumping all over the place on this build. I still have to build the undercarriage! Keeps me from getting bored...

Right, then.

Well it's all over but the shouting now. I still want to add some chipped paint to the prop and maybe play around with the weathering in a couple other areas. I also still have a couple of fiddly bits to install after that. But she's pretty much ready to show now!

After I get all the above finished I'll get some better pics away from the clutter of my table.

SpitTop1800x.jpg

Belly1800x.jpg

SpitRtSide1800x.jpg

SpitLtSide2800x.jpg

The wash worked into the panel lines over the decals better than anything I've ever tried before, thanks again Phil!

And if you use acrylics and want the most awesome flat varnish ever, get the Xtracrylix flat varnish. It simply rocks!

Critique welcomed as always....

David

She's finished!

I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out. As usual the first things I notice are the things I hate, but there are less of them than I often end up with. I call that a win.

This Tamiya kit is a dream to put together! Very fun build with almost no sticking points at all, which was exactly what I was hoping for. I think I might have to try the Hasegawa Mk.Vb in 1/32 soon to see what that one's like.

It gets dark really early this time of year, so no outdoor pics yet. These will do for now:

Final6800x.jpg

Final5800x.jpg

Final4800x.jpg

Final3800x.jpg

Final2800x.jpg

I realized after loading these pics that I still have to add the position light on the spine. Then I have to decide if I'm going to try to wire the antenna, or just poke a sharp stick in my eye. The results are pretty much the same either way. :wacko:

Absolutely stunning Dave, Well done! This camo scheme really suits both the Spit and Hurri as you have shown here with this build.

ok, when are you doing a 1/32 Spit? :rolleyes:

I should be starting on it right around the first of the year. That one won't be a Trop version however. I'm also going to be starting a 1/48 Airfix Seafire FR46 pretty soon. Guess I'm in an anglophile frame of mind!

Thanks for the very kind remarks!