Hawker Sea Fury

jynski

Question for the learned British guys. Which is the better kit for 1/48 scale. The Trumpeter or the Hobbycraft. I Want to do a nice kit in the EDSG/Sky RN scheme. ^_^

I'm a not that learned, I'm Australian and I have internal plumbing but:

Trumpeter's fuselage has to many shape issues, the propellor sucks

drop tanks are incorrect and the landing gear is laughable.

Sea Furies are flush riveted, not what Trumpeter would have you beleive.

Hobbycrafts kit is basic but resonably accurate

Dannielle

Edited by venomvixen

She might be as described but she knows her Sea Furys! Wrong scale for me but there are some very good builds of the Hobbycraft one - especially those that use a lot of extra stuff.

I'm a not that learned, I'm Australian and I have internal plumbing but:

Trumpeter's fuselage has to many shape issues, the propellor sucks

drop tanks are incorrect and the landing gear is laughable.

Sea Furies are flush riveted, not what Trumpeter would have you beleive.

Hobbycrafts kit is basic but resonably accurate

Dannielle

Hobbycrafts model is older, more basic, but better shape wise. Trumpeters model is more state of the art in terms of moulding, but suffers from numerous problems - scooped cockpit sill shape, weird Mig-15 esque canopy, anemic proppellors, short thin nasty undercarriage, terrible wheels and squat 'orrible exhaust fairings, and underwing fuel tanks from the planet 'Crap'.

Both fit very well. If I were to do another sea Fury I would go for Hobbycraft and tart it up with some of the aftermarket bits released for the Trumpeter kit. Aeroclubs prop blades are a great improvement if you can find them, and a squadron or falcon vac canopy would be an instant improvement too.

regards

Jonners

hmm...reading this may be I should swap my Trumpeter Sea Fury for the Hobbycraft kit...?

and btw: What is meant by "internal plumbing"?

Ingo

Danielle is one of our lady modellers.

I'm Australian and I have internal plumbing

So, you colonials have finally got rid of the outdoor dunny! :winkgrin:

Anyone contemplating upgrading the Hobbycraft Sea Fury might want to take a look at Flightpath's resin/etched detail set, which is the one originally released by PP Aeroparts, IIRC. It's pretty comprehensive (I haven't got one yet, but I did examine it in Hannants one day). Here's a linky

As mentioned, the Hobbycraft kit works out nicely, if some aftermarket is added, as I did with this one.

DSC00058.jpg

At the risk of slightly straying from the OP's enquiry...

That's proper nice that is.

So, you colonials have finally got rid of the outdoor dunny! :winkgrin:

Anyone contemplating upgrading the Hobbycraft Sea Fury might want to take a look at Flightpath's resin/etched detail set, which is the one originally released by PP Aeroparts, IIRC. It's pretty comprehensive (I haven't got one yet, but I did examine it in Hannants one day). Here's a linky

Got rid of the dunny but I've still got the dreaded Australian dunny seat redback spider.

His name is Trevor and I keep him in a jar. :spider:

I've trained him to attack poms wot keep taking the piddle out of me :yikes:

Heres a very nice picture of an Australian Sea Fury (to keep it on topic)

It has a different colour cowling as it has had a complete front end change

SF13.jpg

I've trained him to attack poms wot keep taking the piddle out of me :yikes:

Are you gonna post him to me? I hope he can survive the best attentions of the Royal Mail :fight:

Back on topic (sorta), does anyone know if the Flightpath Sea Fury detail set still includes Sammy the stork?

Back on topic (sorta), does anyone know if the Flightpath Sea Fury detail set still includes Sammy the stork?

Sammy is still supplied! BTW - Sea Fury set currently out of stock - new stocks back in 2-3 weeks.

Regards,

David Parkins,

Flightpath

I built the HobbyCraft kit with significant aftermarket assistance. I am pleased at the outcome. I have seen the Trumpeter kit, and I am not sure it's as good (believe it or not) as the HC kit.

Hobbycraft hands down. I'm doing one at present after the Trumpy one did a 'C on D' at my pleasure. Hobbycraft is older but accurate and with after market (I would recommend a canopy and wheels at least, wheel well also if anybody is going to see that bit) can be a great looking kit. Trumpeter kit is best avoided at all cost unless you want to replace every part and decals or fill in every 'rivet hole.'

• 3 months later...

Hi folks,

Was the Seafury T20 fuselage longer than the standard Sea Fury FB11? The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of converting the hobbycraft into a 2 seater TT20 as seen on this site.

http://www.thomasgenth.de/html/zieldarsteller.html

It looks doable with a second canopy, scratchbuilt winch etc but I can't be sure from photos if the fuselage was longer or the tail higher? Anyone know?

Regards,

Joe

Don't touch the Trumpeter one at all. It's all wrong except the tailplanes (They're probably suspect as well). As has been said by others, the Hobbycraft is older but more accurate (get a replacement canopy though). A bit of aftermarket bling will be worth the effort.