1/24 Airfix Sea Harrier

Dear all,

Its been a while since i have been on due to work stuff but back now. Sadly the Gannet you may know me for is on hold at present until i get better a resin as its proving fairly tough at times. For now i have just had this beauty through my door. Prior to ordering it i could not find much of a kit review contents list, so i thought i would help out by adding a quick overview and some pictures.

Please note for my project i will be doing an FA2

Box art, this has been updated and looks great.

IMG_0278.jpg

On opening the box inside is alot and i mean alot of sprues which looks like its just been added to over the years and there are a few options if you wanted to drift away from the FRS.

Instructions and Decals are pretty good but for only one airframe. You get a load of paints and a couple of brushes which i dont think i will be using.

IMG_0287.jpg

Airframe, looking at it its a fairly generic one which need some chopping up for the FRS1 kit. i will be doing an FA2 so i will be chopping away. the rivets are fairly plentyfull and big so i think a lot of filler will also come in handy

IMG_0279.jpg

Engine. there is loads of different things you can do like have your engine bay open and nozzle movements etc...

IMG_0280.jpg

Pylons and stuff.

IMG_0282.jpg

Weapons, there are loads of bombs and side winders to make up here with a pair of old 100Gal droptanks...

IMG_0283.jpg

Other stuff, there are loads of little unexpected extras in the box such as the ADEN cannons and even the refuelling prode which is good news.

IMG_0284.jpg

Various different glass..

IMG_0285.jpg

Finally i have ordered a few extras from Heritage and they look basic but a help in getting the FA2 right.

IMG_0288.jpg

I hope the above pictures help other to decide if they want this quite old but extensive kit. You have probably seen other builds of this big jet and hope i can do just as well. there is a lot of scope and run to improve this kit.

Finally would anyone recommend if it would be worth getting the flightpath FRS1 kit too?

Enjoy

Nick

Edited by nw005uk

Hi to get the FRS1 nose to fit you will have to cut the inner parts of the intakes or it will not fit plus you can either get the resin intakes with the dropped auxilary air doors or do them yourself like i did on my build for my sister next is the FA2 for her

have fun with it. i had that project in mind (i have the kit, and complete resin cockpit, intakes, wheels, nose and fusalarge lenth as well as metal bits etc, it was made by aardvark but now HA)

years ago i started making a FRS1 with the GR3 kit, and the resin FRS1 conversion (before airfix did a FRS1) but never completed it, hope to though this year.

i would do various stages as mini kits, cos sometimes its a pain to work on.

Hi also you will need the heritage white metal undercarrige and resin wheels better than the rubber kit ones

Simon

Edited by xlpainter

Hi also you will need the heritage white metal undercarrige and resin wheels better than the rubber kit ones

Simon

i would agree, although you cant really see the wheels clear in this foto (its one i took other day for the kit n this set i have on the for sale page)

DSCF1863.jpg

Looks like it will be an awesome project. Is the new kit a re-box of the old mold with all those rivets on the fuselage or is it a complete new tool kit? TIA.

Mike

Also is it the same decals as the old kit - I take it they have now re-released both versions ?

Also is it the same decals as the old kit - I take it they have now re-released both versions ?

Morning guys, sadly its the same old rivets and horrible chunky parts. The FRS1 kit was rereleased about 3weeks ago and the GR3 was released again about 2 months ago. The only difference in the kits is the cost is slightly more and the box art is new.

I have made some progress with the cockpit and wheel well and will post later.

Really need some decent wheels for it as i do not want to use the rubber tyres as they are not under load.

Nick

Good review.

Morning guys, sadly its the same old rivets and horrible chunky parts. The FRS1 kit was rereleased about 3weeks ago and the GR3 was released again about 2 months ago. The only difference in the kits is the cost is slightly more and the box art is new.

Not like Airfix LOL.

Hi here is a pic of a FRS1 i made for my sister it took a whole tube of greenstuff for the rivets i made the intake doors apart from that it is OOB soon to build a FA2 for her

IMG_1458.jpg

simon

I will be following this one.

Nice work, there Simon.

By the way. I have the GR.1 in the loft needing started. Can you guys suggest what I need to improve it?

Edited by jacksdad64

Hi here is a pic of a FRS1 i made for my sister it took a whole tube of greenstuff for the rivets i made the intake doors apart from that it is OOB soon to build a FA2 for her

IMG_1458.jpg

simon

That's an excellent build Simon....lucky sister.

I am using the heritage conversion, wheels, vents and 190 drop tanks h and also 2xaden canons not sure what to put on the outer pylons, I think ammram.

Update. Picture will follow but so far the cockpit tub is updated and the basic fitting has been done. the kit cockpit is very basic and Jake eatons build shows you potential. I am no wY near that standard but the basics are there so far.

The nose wheel well has been hacked and remodelled as it serves a purpose but want to make it a little more detailed. Next wiring, instruments and equipment.

Nick

Right finally some pictures of my progress. Its been slow the last few weeks while i get together the extra kit parts i needed and they are mostly here now. all i am waiting on is the flightpath upgrade which is due tomorrow and the drooped vents and wheels from heritage.

The story so far....

Cockpit tub went back to real basics in preparation of the etchings and finer detailing. I took some advice from an older build and added the extra 8mm on the aft end which meant making the new fire wall.

IMG_0298.jpg

Cockpit sides came next which are totally bare and the parts in the kit to detail were fairly basic so i upgraded these with some extra plastic and there will be lots of scope to add the extra boxes and wiring to this.

IMG_0296.jpg

After getting all the parts together which make the Forward section i also decided to upgrade and retail parts to the Nose wheel well. for this the top came off for better access and the fore section was removed making way for more plastic card. The forward wall was then added closing the front off. the pipe you see down the side is for the frontal exhaust.

IMG_0297.jpg

Finally this is how it all looks together. There is still a long way before this all gets put together but its a start.

IMG_0299.jpg

Nick

Beautifully executed - though I do wonder where this bulkhead move notion has come from. I know Jake did it in his and it would take a brave man to argue with that particular masterpiece, but I can't quite see how it can be. If you look on the rivets & lines on the cockpit skin (in the section that remains behind when you cut the GR1 cockpit away) you'll see where the bleed air duct openings are marked. These need to correspond with the position of the ducts themselves which must exhaust through openings in the deck aft and above the seat bulkead. If the rake angle is increase too much, there wouldn't be space for the duct - or else the duct would be raked aft rather than remaining in line with the opening doors.

Can any of the real metal Harrier chaps throw light on this?

Wow, great work!

thanks guys. i looked at the subject and some plans for this cockpit extension and it all leads to the same conclusion, which is the extension as once the front section is in place there is still a massive amount of space behind that bulkhead for two tank lids and that vent you talk of. i was just as sceptical to say the least. am at NAS Yeovilton for a few days so i will take some picture of the subject and add to the walkround.

Nick

Great - you can never have enough Harrier pictures!! :D

Whilst you're there, if you can find anyone who can give you the first few station numbers (i.e. the horizontal distances from the fuselage datum), this could confirm the issue. The vertical ribs you have added are at the frame positions so this could confirm the distances to the seat bulkhead. As I'm getting all "rivet-countery", you might want to take a look at the dimensions of the so called bullet fairing that leads up to the centre of the fan. My view is that (1) the cylinder of the bullet is of too large a radius and that (2) the curvature of the intake wall around it is over-pronounced (except where the wheel well unrealistically impinges on the shape). Both seem to me to be tricky to tackle without major surgery.

Don't spend too long at Yeovilton; I'm looking forward to the next update. :)

Kirk

• 4 months later...

Fellow Britmodeller's,

This post has been very quiet for a few months due to work, i have had a couple of weeks off since the last time i posted and made some but slow headway. The cockpit is now well on the way to completion, i have taken some cues from Jake's work of art but sadly my skills are no way near that great. so here you go, so far so good. Next task is to complete the instrumentation panel and HUD which requires a lot of the. i have the flightpath FRS1 kits which is a great help but becoming more of a guide to a totally scratch built cockpit. the only original part are the sides to the tub.

IMG_0360.jpg

and here it is in the nose....

IMG_0361.jpg

there is some finer detail to do (just noticed).

hope hope you lot like! i might have time to get it done before i head off again

Nick