Price of kits

MS664

Good point, well made.

You also highlight and oft forgotten point, when Revell was reboxing Hasegawa kits they were no cheaper.

Marty...

Well the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa SptIX/XVI is still around at Modelzone at £16.99 vs Hasegawa @£30 odd

Cheers

Trerry McGrady

Well for Most part Trumpeter releases some real dross when it comes down to it . . True no one seems to mention Italeri and the way their prices have been jacked up.

I've bought a few Trumpeter kits - 2 ships and the Wyvern and Seahawk in 48th

FAR too expensive and of dubious quality for my taste for the most part

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Surprisingly I found the Wyvern and Seahawks the most acceptable in 1/48th, with work to reduce the corrugated detail the 1/32nd Swordfish looks nice built up and even with its overdone rivets the 1/24th Hurricane knocks the old fat-nosed Airfix kit into a cocked hat... As for the rest of the Trumpeter line, one big disappointment after another as far as I'm concerned...

If you have to blow 100 quid + on a kit and the same again on AM 'fixes' to make it passable I reckon I'd be better off carving it out of soap!

Well the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa SptIX/XVI is still around at Modelzone at £16.99 vs Hasegawa @£30 odd

Cheers

Trerry McGrady

Ah yes, but MZ has several palette-loads of the things sitting around, and have so for some time, the difference in price when Revell originally did the re-pop was negligable.

Dear Modeller

My apologies re affording the kits

but you are always implying that you can by your comments.

Think you need to look up the definition of the word "bitching" and the phrase, "I disagree with you"

They are not mutually inclusive.

I complained about your patronising tone and thought it better to do so in private, as it is a personal but fair comment.

If you wish in the interests of openness ,I am willing to post my pm.

I am sure the other members are now intruiged :fraidnot:

I can 'afford' my hobby because I'm particular about what I spend my money on, I also don't have multiples of anything in my stash, which at most runs to maybe 70-odd kits aquired over the last 10 or 12 years. I have never seen the need to prove my worth as a human being based on the amount of crap I have in cupboards!

If you percieve my 'tone' to be patronising then I'm afraid thats your problem, I say what I think otherwise I don't say it at all.

And with that I'm about done with this thread, its fast becoming and exercise in teaching a pig to sing, I'm wasting my time and the pig is getting annoyed.

ell the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa SptIX/XVI is still around at Modelzone at £16.99 vs Hasegawa @£30 odd

Cheers Trerry McGrady

The vaguaries of OOP kits.

As on on the flip side. Both the Revell Sabre Mk 5 and Hasegawa (RAF) Mk 4 which are the same kit and both out of production now can be found at widely different prices. I recently picked the the Hasegawa kit for £15, whilst other retailers wanted £20 plus for the Revell kit.

Marty...

The vaguaries of OOP kits.

As on on the flip side. Both the Revell Sabre Mk 5 and Hasegawa (RAF) Mk 4 which are the same kit and both out of production now can be found at widely different prices. I recently picked the the Hasegawa kit for £15, whilst other retailers wanted £20 plus for the Revell kit.

Marty...

Well I've been buying 32nd scale Roden WWI kits from Ebay or Poland. Most I've paid is £33 including postage vs £54 from a well known UK internet retailer.

The Internet is a very useful tool . The savings I've made have bought this Computer :)

Mind you I didn't HAVE to spend the money :)

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Indeed, which makes it doubly puzzling as to why so many are bitching about the high street prices of plastic kits from Hasegawa.

Also puzzling is why Trumpeter don't come in for the same sort of attention, bigger organisation, not one damned kit thats any bloody good, vastly overpriced for the crap in the box and still people are happy to pay inflated prices for second rate tat without a word of complaint!

Precisely because Trumpeter is crap compared to Hasegawa, nobody cares :P

Hasegawa hurts because it's well near impossible to build a decent model collection without some Hase kits.

As for your assertion that everything on the high street has gone up, yeah, duh. It's called inflation. But you don't see steak & ale pies costing twice as much as they did in 2007 do you? Nope.

Hasegawa hurts because it's well near impossible to build a decent model collection without some Hase kits.

Hardly, I haven't a single Hasegawa kit in my fairly substantial collection of 1930's, WWII and Post-war British aircraft. If they did the models I wanted I probably couldn't afford them.

Edited by Andrew Jones

As for your assertion that everything on the high street has gone up, yeah, duh. It's called inflation. But you don't see steak & ale pies costing twice as much as they did in 2007 do you? Nope.

Unless something has changed - steak and ale pie is not a petroleum based product. That said, eating out has noticeably (if not proportionally) risen in price like most things.

Marty...

I'm wondering why I even need to bother responding to such a petulant and innane comment, but given the manner in which it was offered I feel I should...

What possible comparison can you draw between a manufactured imported consumer item like a plastic kit and something like a pie? How on earth can you even comprehend of using such as a comparison as a basis for intelligent debate?

Actually I'll qualify that, in the period 2007/2008 the price of basic food commodities such as wheat, maize and rice increased by a huge amount, average world prices for rice rose by 217%, wheat by 136% peaking in 2008, at the moment prices are now close to that peak yet again having dropped between 2009 and 2010*, I would suggest, that unless there is a sudden fall in the price of such basic commodities, then yes indeed, your average steak-and-ale pie is more expensive now than it was in 2006, before prices began to rise.

Whether pies are now twice as expensive as they were in 2006 is debatable, I suppose that rather depends on which all-powerful supermarket mega-corporation you buy your vittles from and how much of a squeeze they can put on thier suppliers in order to force them to supply at a loss?

Why are you happy to accept that inflation has caused the increase in price of pretty much everything on the high street but somehow plastic kits are immune from that effect?

If thats the best you can muster pal then I'd send the membership badge back to MENSA if I were you, its plainly been posted to the wrong guy.

* Source: World Bank Food Price Watch - April 2011

Edited by TheModeller

If thats the best you can muster pal then I'd send the membership badge back to MENSA if I were you, its plainly been posted to the wrong guy.

So! , once again a reasoned disscussion falls to the level of personal attacks, moderators ,please take action.

I haven't seen much 'reasoned discussion' in this thread, or any of the others declaring Hasegawa the new anti-christ, for a few pages now, its not a reasoned discussion, its a witch-hunt!

If a comment like thats gonna put your nose out of joint then best you stay away from the rest of us plebs, real life might be too much of a shock for you to handle!

Edited by TheModeller

about time tescos started selling kits methinks :winkgrin:

Working for Sainsbury I checked the system just in case Airfix's Sea Vixen was going to be released, not surprisingly only a generic gift pack was shown, pity as I get staff discount :winkgrin:

Working for Sainsbury I checked the system just in case Airfix's Sea Vixen was going to be released, not surprisingly only a generic gift pack was shown, pity as I get staff discount :winkgrin:

i ll be your best friend if they ever start chap :cheers:

Here's the thing folks:

Kit manufacturers are going to charge what they're going to charge. Bitching about it, griping about it, or spouting off about isn't going to change it. World economics is a very complex subject. Because Revell kits are cheap doesn't mean Hasegawa or anyone else can or should try to match them. They're different businesses in different parts of the world.

I can't believe there's been seven (wasted) pages of "discussion" about this. It is what it is, and we can't change it. You can afford a given kit or you can't. We all make our choices. Let's move on, eh?

i ll be your best friend if they ever start chap :cheers:

We get in big trouble if we buy anything for anyone else, unless its a gift.......eh, WHAT AM I SAYING!! :analintruder: