Xtrakit Scimitar F1, 1:72nd

Finished at last! My Scimitar represents XD321 of 807 Squadron, FAA based on HMS Centaur during 1961-2.

IMG_5616.jpg

IMG_5617.jpg

IMG_5618.jpg

IMG_5620.jpg

IMG_5621.jpg

IMG_5623.jpg

IMG_5625.jpg

I have enjoyed this one immensely despite its several pitfalls and inaccuracies, frequently high stress levels and less than perfect quality; and am very pleased with the result. It is perhaps not brilliant value for money (£17.00) but if you want an injection kit of this supremely elegant fighter, this is the only serious option.

My thanks to:

John Aero for supplying some wheels to replace the Sea Vixen ones I stole for this build.

Bob (FAAFAN) for constant encouragment and sharing the challenges of building the aircraft. Good luck on the Dynavector one!

Mike (the Mod) whose WIP of the Dynavector one gave me plenty of inspiration.

The staff of the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton, Somerset: nobody came and told me off when I crawled around on the floor underneath their real Scimitar taking pictures for a solid two hours.

Everyone who followed the WIP with comments and encouragement!

I followed the WIP and was frequently amazed at the work you were doing to this kit. All the effort you put in was well worth it, the end result is a thing of beauty. Now get back to your studies! :)

Terrific build and finish, love the Scimitar :analintruder:

Got a 1/48 and a couple of 1/72 to build but have a priority build of a 1/48 Anson for my Father-in-laws birthday first!!

Great build thread to go with the result.

cheers Bob

You have done a superb job and a really instructive w.i.p.

Somewhat tragic that such a lot of effort was needed to get an accurate Scimitar. Xtrakit are starting to seem like a High Planes without the underlying accuracy in terms of the work needed.

Pat

They seem to me to be very variable in terms of quality, buildability and accuracy. I have also built the Meteor F.8, which was a pleasant, well-detailed and nicely engineered little kit, went together pretty easily, and I believe is quite accurate save for a rather small ventral fuel tank. I guess it depends on who they farm the moulds out to. I believe the Meteor was an MPM job and is on a par with their better and more modern kits like the Defiant, while the Scimitar is (I think) a Sword moulding.

Presumably because of this is it's quite rough round the edges and not great on accuracy stakes. The main problems are the fin trailing edge and tailplanes (which I fixed), and the outer wing shape (doesn't compare well to plans, didn't spot this until it was too late to fix it), Frankly though, my biggest gripe was the beautifully printed but dreadfully researched decal sheet. In addition to the accuracy faults, Xtrakit really didn't provide a great deal of kit for the money. There are no stores apart from the four tanks (OK, Scimitars almost always wore these, but the Bullpup missiles might have been nice), no detail in the main wheelbays, no airbrake open option and sparse detail in the hook bay.

I also have the Sea Vixen in the stash, but I've read such horror stories about it (think this is a Special Hobby mould) that it's not exactly high on my "to build" list. I don't mind overcoming all the pitfalls of short-run stuff, but occasionally is enough! It's time to cure the AMS with some quick OOB builds of WW2 fighters, I reckon!

P.S. Note to all who wish to try recolouring decals with permanent pen: Permanent pen is apparently soluble in Microsol. I almost had a disaster with those nose codes...

also have the Sea Vixen in the stash, but I've read such horror stories about it

Yep - I bought the High Planes Sea Vixen for that reason - it's going to be a lot of work but I figured it would be better directed to that than the Xtrakit one. And you get more decal choices.

Pat

• Like 1

Great finish, Phil.

Good to hear that the permanent pen work didn't go astray under the application of Microsol, especially as it makes the scheme look so good. Anyway, congratulations on such a fine result and thanks for keeping us updated with your progress over in the WIP thread. I enjoyed watching the kit come together and have learnt a lot for when it comes time to tackle mine, especially with respect to correcting the kit's inaccuracies. I would love to see your detail photos make it into a Resources thread in the future; obviously your study comes first though and I hope that all goes well for you.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Fantastic.

In case anyone hasn't seen the WIP, then they should, to see how much great work you put into it.

And your macro photos of your work are superb as well.

BB

Well, the permanent pen/Microsol affair was hardly a triumph: a very narrow escape more like! The port side nose code was fine, but I perhaps overdid the Microsol application on the starboard side, and the black permanent ink slid itself smoothly off most of the decal...and promptly stuck in a solid black jelly-like lump on the clean white underside! Even fervent scrubbing with a Microsol-laden brush didn't get it off the white paint completely, and as the paint itself was starting to dissolve I decided to desist before doing even more damage. In the end I had to let it all dry, then paint over the underside area around the code (mercifully Vallejo white is a perfect match for Halfords) then redo the code with the pen, freehand. It still looks a bit rough on that side, which is why all the close-up nose shots are from the port elevation!

Thanks for all the kind comments about the WIP and the finished product: the Scimitar transported fine up to Oxford this morning and looks great next to a Spitfire among all the biology textbooks! Thanks Andrew for your exam wishes. After my nine hours' of exams next week, I have quite a relaxed term with just fieldwork for my dissertation to do, then an internship at a museum before I go home in July.

Therefore I've also brought with me kits for two group builds (Spit and OOB), plus two other projects for my delectation after the exams are done!

• 1 year later...