Drool! FAA Glory Days

1POB

Guest Drewe

I see pictures like that and just want to cry at what our Fleet Air Arm has become. Especially as I live only seven miles from Yeovilton, the HQ of the FAA, and seeing anything fixed wing is a rarity now. Progressive governments have laid the coffin lid on our FAA, this one finally hammered the nails home.

:angrysoapbox.sml:

Looks like one of the reviews held at Yeovilton?

That would have been the 50th Anniversary of Naval Aviation "do" at VL in 1964.

So: do we get a similar bash in 7 years' time, I ask???

You've just GOT to love the look of Sea Venoms :D Their huge noses just give them such a unique appearence. Were they by any chance a naval variant of the Vampire?

No, not really, the only things in common were the twin booms and the manufacturers..

The Sea Vixen was much, much larger than the diminutive Vampire, and had twin engines. It was also all metal, as opposed to the partial wooden construction of the Vampire, and was desinated as an All Weather Fighter, as a Weapons platform.......

There was a naval variant of the Vampire - the Sea Vampire, and of course the Sea Venom followed....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Anyone else notice that the Sea Vixen's nose leg and wheel is gold?

It looks like a yellow chromate primer - perhaps the nose leg was a replacement?

Also note that the 2 Sea Vixens taxiing behind the Buc S1s are FAW Mk 1, whereas our yellow legged main Sea Vixen and the one on the left are FAW Mk 2s.

Speaking of the Buc S1s - anyone know if the tan radomes are just unpainted fibreglass, or actually are painted?

Cheers

Jonathan, appreciating a lovely pic, and thinking of how to make a model of a Buccaneer S1 in anti-flash white ( anyone do a conversion for the Airfix 1/48th S2??)

It looks like a yellow chromate primer - perhaps the nose leg was a replacement?

Hmmm.... but leg & wheel both in primer?

My theory is that this is the FAA Golden Jubilee review (1964 would be right) and the Vixen's wheel is painted up specially for it? Anyone know?

FredT