1/48 revell typhoon

mrvr6

You aren't kidding - the way you are going it will be done by this evening...

lol not this 1 im gonna mow the lawn in a min then im knackered and have to be up at 5 in the mornin so not much will be done tonight

ps i swore id finish 1 before i started another err it lasted 4 hours lol

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic looking Eurofighter are you going for a whif or DA2 the BAe development one? I see no problem with a bit of brass rod, I think it would count as scratchbuilding rather than aftermarket and it doesn't really change the look just add a bit of stability. Missed this one aswell but have a soft spot for DA2 so will be watching with interest as its a kit and project I have in the stash.

2mxibus.jpg

iv taken that incase i stuff up the 3 part gloss coat (paint hardner and thinners) its ready for final coat wheels refit the canards and then its done :)

Edited by mrvr6

I've found gloss finish to be nightmare to do. I just get pebble/orange peel effect all the time. Even gloss pait comes out crap.

Your rattle can Typhoon looked great, shame it went down from there.

Greg

I'm really tempted to build my Revell kit as DA2 having seen this, great work! :thumbsup: Can I ask what decals you're using? I've never seen any sheets for ZH588.

I'm sure the clearcoat isn't so bad that you can't salvage it. Just give it plenty of time to harden (48hrs) then rub down lightly with some micro mesh and have another go.

I don't know what size nozzle you're using but when spraying 2-part clearcoat through my 0.3 nozzle it needs more thinners to prevent the dreaded 'orange peel'! Another tip is to spray a mist 'tack' coat then apply a 'wet' final coat a few minutes afterwards.

HTH

I'm really tempted to build my Revell kit as DA2 having seen this, great work! :thumbsup: Can I ask what decals you're using? I've never seen any sheets for ZH588.

I'm sure the clearcoat isn't so bad that you can't salvage it. Just give it plenty of time to harden (48hrs) then rub down lightly with some micro mesh and have another go.

I don't know what size nozzle you're using but when spraying 2-part clearcoat through my 0.3 nozzle it needs more thinners to prevent the dreaded 'orange peel'! Another tip is to spray a mist 'tack' coat then apply a 'wet' final coat a few minutes afterwards.

HTH

its a revell kit purely by accident i seem to have 2 different single seat typhoon by revell i hope its not a rae kit that im making a pigs ear of :(

i dont know what size nozzle iv got its the stock needle afaik

iv got some micromesh iv have a go at it in a couple of days

i did the tack coat then wet coat it didnt seem to make any difference at all :(

If it's Zero clearcoat I would be tempted to add more thinners and spray at a pressure of about 20psi.

Do you know the part number for the Revell kit with the DA2 markings? I know the italeri boxing of the eurofighter comes with these markings but the kit's not as good. :(

Edited by Sundown

If it's Zero clearcoat I would be tempted to add more thinners and spray at a pressure of about 20psi.

Do you know the part number for the Revell kit with the DA2 markings? I know the italeri boxing of the eurofighter comes with these markings but the kit's not as good. :(

il find the box tommorow mate

yeah its zero glosscoat i tend to spray at 15 psi about 2 inches from the model is that ok?

I normally spray a clearcoat at around 3-4", you will cover more with each pass without the paint building up too quickly. Technically you should spray at the lowest pressure you can but if you're using too little pressure the paint won't atomize sufficiently and the paint will spatter. Equally too much pressure and the paint will dry before it hits the surface resulting in a rough texture, I find that 20psi is the happy medium that suits my airbrush. It's not easy to see the clearcoat so test spray on some matt coloured card and if it seems to be spattering add a drop or two more thinners until you get a fine spray.

Have a look at the decals to see if the same texture appears in the clearcoat that covers them. If not and it is only textured over the black areas, it may be that the paint has reacted to the paint underneath though I think it's unlikely (but not impossible).

I'm sure you already do, but please wear a decent respirator when using this stuff, it's nasty!

I normally spray a clearcoat at around 3-4", you will cover more with each pass without the paint building up too quickly. Technically you should spray at the lowest pressure you can but if you're using too little pressure the paint won't atomize sufficiently and the paint will spatter. Equally too much pressure and the paint will dry before it hits the surface resulting in a rough texture, I find that 20psi is the happy medium that suits my airbrush. It's not easy to see the clearcoat so test spray on some matt coloured card and if it seems to be spattering add a drop or two more thinners until you get a fine spray.

Have a look at the decals to see if the same texture appears in the clearcoat that covers them. If not and it is only textured over the black areas, it may be that the paint has reacted to the paint underneath though I think it's unlikely (but not impossible).

I'm sure you already do, but please wear a decent respirator when using this stuff, it's nasty!

not got a respirator and yeh it is nasty iv bodged myself a spray booth together so il only spray it there from now on

i hold the model upto a light and watch the reflection to check coverage

its the same on the decals so it isnt a reaction il leave it a day or so to harden then il mesh it and go again but add more thinner