Let's see the rarest, most esoteric kits in your stash....

Vlamgat9

"RARE" is in the eye of the beholder, but these original AMT 1930's vintage a/c in 1/48 are perhaps 'rare'..

P3280018AMT1930sClassicAC148.jpg

Cheers,

ggc

• Like 1

The rarest I have is a Santos 1/72 Canadair Argus (Britannia derivitive), one of only ten made with mine being #4. Then I have an Airways 1/72 Britannia, I have a Griffin Models 1/72 T2V-1 Seastar and a Rareplanes 1/72 Supermarine Seagull (the one with the Griffon engine and contra-prop). Then I've quite a few Aircraft in Miniature 1/72 kits, two 747's, DC-10 with KC-10 conversion, Valiants B.1 & B.2, Nimrod, CC-150, DC-9 (C-9 Nightingale), 1/72 Monogram NB-52 with X-15, Frog Canberra PR.7, Airfix Folland Gnat (the one with wing slipper tanks and RP's), Airfix Jaguar (with the pointed nose)

Edited by kitnut617

For rarest, the Frog Rotodyne (apologies as my scanner is too small to fit the beautiful box top art).

FrogRoto.JPG

and Maquettes Mach Levasserr PL 8 "Oiseau blanc" - I didn't know how rare this one was until I tried to get another for a friend :fraidnot:

Loiseaublanc.JPG

Esoteric, but right up my alley are a couple of Fujumi Sabres that seemed to be only available in Japan:

FujimiSkyblazers.JPG

Fujimiduo.JPG

There were 3 double Sabre kits and this is my favoutite release.

Gary

Another rare one I have is the German issue of the MPC 1/6 R2-D2, which only seemed to be released in 1978 and 1979. I'm not aware of it being re-issued to tie in with The Empire Strikes Back (1980) or later, or in any of the re-issue programmes AMT/ERTL ran in the 1990s or later. I've also got the 1/8 C-3PO.

Hmmm... in terms of rarity, I'm not sure but the ones that I think stand out are...

Top Gun Resin Heinkel He114 (radial) - never seen one before or since, great little kit, and recommended by a Forum member on here! :speak_cool:

Frog Boeing B-17E

Frog Avro Lancaster I - both in 1/72 with 20000 production runs, Frog's last kits more or less from 1976.

Frog Whitley

Frog Kawanishi 'Emily' (Hasegawa re-pop from the 1960s)

Matchbox Consolidated Privateer (swapped with the lovely Jen for an equally unusual Revell Mistubishi Raiden in 1/32)

+ a few other Revell Japan goodies... (Helen, Sally, Frances etc)

C

Think my Revell Nakajima Ki 49, Mitsubishi Ki 21, two older style Hasegawa Ritas (all the way from America), a few old Mania kits and two Revell P1Y1 Gingas qualify here. ;)

Any chance of scans of the two Revell boxes??? Ta velly muchness. ;)

Sorry it's taken a while to get some piccys of the Revell kits, for some reason Photobucket site wouldn't work, but I've tried it again today, and have two to share. First one is my Ki 49, Ki 21 (both Japanese versions), and two Gingas (one is a Spanish version), and the other pic is of one of two older style Hasegawa Rita's I have which I thought were quite interesting (other box is badly damaged - partly my fault :oops: ).

DSCN9898.jpg

DSCN9900.jpg

Really like the old Hasegawa Rita boxart, better than the 1987 reissue in my opinion, but cost an arm and a leg - one came from America and another from Canada, and had to pay about £30 for one after getting stung on postage, but got the other one free in a series of bizarre events. :huh:

Thinking of building one of my Rita's in a What if Green and Brown camouflage scheme just like on the G4M's. :hmmm:

Edited by NAKAJIMA15

Nakajima: Great looking Box Art, kind of makes you want to build one .... :analintruder:

Cheers,

ggc

Nakajima: Great looking Box Art, kind of makes you want to build one .... :analintruder:

Cheers,

ggc

Glad you like them! I get that feeling to build one all the time with them sitting in my room, just have to tell myself I wouldn't have room for them all! :lol:

I also saw some of your collection of Japanese Aircraft boxtops on another topic, glad to see there's someone else who shares the same interest. Never seen some of the older LS twin engined aircraft in that style boxing, all the ones I have are older versions by LS.

my rarest was a 1/72nd 'hillcrest' wright flyer ( later issued under the aeroskin brand ) , until i recently gave it away , because i brought an etched brass 'stripdown' kit to build instead ! :wub: others are rarish i suppose , some are just distinctly , well , odd . :P

cid_CCE7F9E539914665868C769A2B73B10.jpg

002-21.jpg

Edited by blimp

Nakajima: have you seen this Zero box art. It's from a 1960's Monogram 1/48 A6m5 issue.

P3250038A6M5Monogram148BoxArt.jpg

Cheers,

ggc

Nakajima: Here is a cool Mania B/A for the Ki-15 1/72....BANZAI!! eh..?

P9220002ManiaKi-15-IKamikazec300117.jpg

Cheers,

ggc

OOoh good thread. Just seen this as been away for a while, lessee...

Airwaves Argosy (courtesy of the fine Mr O't,) this one's getting the full treatment.

Halcyon Power Loader (half built currently) dunno how rare this is but not seen one for a while. Also Halcyon Alien Warrion.

Frog Trailblazers Gypsy Moth, with the tokens and QA slip still there.

Comet Movie Dalek.

AMT Reliant.

I think that's it really.

Some lovely stuff here I'd love to see re relaeased.

I wish AIM would get going again for a start...

Nakajima: have you seen this Zero box art. It's from a 1960's Monogram 1/48 A6m5 issue.

P3250038A6M5Monogram148BoxArt.jpg

Cheers,

ggc

Think I've seen something like that before - very nice boxart, could have a go at drawing that. :)

The rarest kit(s) I have is the Monogram air combat series P47 Razorback and DO335 Arrow, Not very rare i know but i do have a strange tendency to build my kits :mental:

monogram.jpg

Edited by dazinio

Well, rarest?

Skybirds 86 MB5 brought at either Stoneleigh or Donnington, Skybirds Scimitar bought by post,

the gentleman was kind enough to send it BEFORE he received the cheque!

Last but not least from this stable the D.H. Hornet.

From many moons before these i have a vac form 1/72 Airspeed Ambassador

(C/W the 'camel' hump i know, but along with the D.H. Albatross one of the 'prettyist' aircraft to fly.)

Finally from the 'resin' mini-stash! the Essdale M.C. 72 racing seaplane.

Esoteric? Pegasus E.A.P. (Well, it does claim to be a kit! :D )

Paul

Here are some classic Aurora WWI 1/48 kits w/ older box art...

P3280021AuroraWWIACClassic2148.jpg

Cheers,

ggc

Here are later, but still vintage Aurora reissues, kits engraving was cleaned up, new decals and instructions included rigging details...

P3280020AuroraWWIACClassic148.jpg

Cheers,

ggc