Tamiya 1/72 Corsair F4U

qq.... am going to do a bit of dot filetering on this i think and also look to highlight the panel lines (and no I am not going to get into a discussion on panel lines vs no panel lines ;-))..... but in this scheme, what colour would be good (but not OTT)? guessing white would be too stark, but how about a pale sandy/dirt colour (Okinawa based plane so sort of dusty i guess)

main decals on.... i really really need to stop rushing this stage.... so stopped to let these go off before i add the stencils and numbers

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

She's looking good Rob, I'll be well happy if I can get mine looking that clean, never mind weathered! :)

J.

cheers Jason, tempted to post her clean for the GB then weather her later on (just so i dont go too far like I did with the Dragonfly and spoil her!!!)

getting close with this... all but 2 of the decals are on U/C built (Needs wheels) and fuel tanks mounted on pylons.... final stages

1) mask , paint and decal canopy

2) touch up paint on fuel tanks and mount on wings

3) finish U/C and attach

will post a clean version in here as the finished build (may weather it at a later date, but as it looks quite nie as it is maybe i wont)....

going has slowed just a little.. everything is on apart from canopy, wing pitot(?) nad front aerial.... need to amsk canopy and poaint it along with a few touch ups here & there and then it is all done....

I refer you to my previous post! :)

J.

just to shut Jason up ;-).... canopy masked, front glued in place to cover join... should get painted tonight plus touch ups (plus repainting prop hub, misread the paint chart as XF-3 (yellow) vs X-3 (blue)... shame cos it looks good with yellow tips and yellow middle !!!! may take artistic licence and keep it ;-)

decals went on ok, bit of silvering on the nose but not really visible froma distance.....

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

Yay! :)

She is looking good Rob. I think I'd leave her clean like you said, it makes a change from all the heavily weathered Corsairs out there. Only a little bit left for you now and she's done. By the way, those rectangular holes in the wings, are they shell chutes from the guns ( if that's what they're called )?

J.

Yay! :)

She is looking good Rob. I think I'd leave her clean like you said, it makes a change from all the heavily weathered Corsairs out there. Only a little bit left for you now and she's done. By the way, those rectangular holes in the wings, are they shell chutes from the guns ( if that's what they're called )?

J.

cheers Jason, forgot to mention the undering coloured circles (landing aids?) that need doing....

i believe that is what they are - in line with the guns so makes a fair assumprion

looks lovely Rob. I do like the bent wing bird painted in dark blue :)

The kit looks nice too, may have to pick one up one day...

it is a very nice kit - goes to gether quite nicely (ham fistedness not withstanding).... some of the photos still show me being too over enthusiastic with the KLEAR application..... have to work on that

Ah, great result Rob, she looks excellent. Seeing you build this has me looking forward to building mine. Just have to see if I have the patience to wait 'til the Pacific GB in July... :)

J.